BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2023, 12:38 PM   #1
Brian10596
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Subaru Outback

Windshield replacement 2023x5

I have a 2023 X5 while driving I heard a pop and a crack appeared on the windshield, probably a rock or other road trash kicked up by another vehicle. Fortunately I have $0 deductible glass coverage the insurance company was trying to steer me to Safelite but when I told them I’d rather let the dealer do it they gave approval. I just have to pay the dealer and they will reimburse me.
The dealer gave me a quote of a bit over $3500 for the windshield. I was just wondering if that’s a fair price or a ripoff. Even though I’m insured I hate to overpay as eventually we all will be paying for it.
The brake down of the charge is
$1748.33 for OEM windscreen
$. 32.54. Window Adhesive
$. 43.37. Windshield Adhesive
$. 5.33. Bump stop
$. 3.94. Bump stop
$. 70.31. Sound installation
$. 288.92. Sensor rain lights
$. 965.00. 5 hours labor
$. 271.16. Sales tax
$ 3508.88. Total

It just seems to be a lot after reading other blogs where the cost was much less.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 12:57 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

That is likely in the ballpark for a dealer. When I had mine done by Safelite the other year I think they charged insurance about $2,500.
fadiga0.00
      06-22-2023, 04:13 PM   #3
socialpro1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi, Bmw, Porsche

I thought even the dealer outsources the windshield installation, didn't realize some do their own!!

But yes that's steep makes me anxious living in a state (AZ) where on some cars I was going through 1-2 windshield replacements a year.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 05:06 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian10596 View Post
I have a 2023 X5 while driving I heard a pop and a crack appeared on the windshield, probably a rock or other road trash kicked up by another vehicle. Fortunately I have $0 deductible glass coverage the insurance company was trying to steer me to Safelite but when I told them I’d rather let the dealer do it they gave approval. I just have to pay the dealer and they will reimburse me.
The dealer gave me a quote of a bit over $3500 for the windshield. I was just wondering if that’s a fair price or a ripoff. Even though I’m insured I hate to overpay as eventually we all will be paying for it.
The brake down of the charge is
$1748.33 for OEM windscreen
$. 32.54. Window Adhesive
$. 43.37. Windshield Adhesive
$. 5.33. Bump stop
$. 3.94. Bump stop
$. 70.31. Sound installation
$. 288.92. Sensor rain lights
$. 965.00. 5 hours labor
$. 271.16. Sales tax
$ 3508.88. Total

It just seems to be a lot after reading other blogs where the cost was much less.
Seems high. The only real issue I'd have is the five hours of labor, especially at $193/hr. I've watched Safelite replace windshields on my former X3 twice and both times was done in less than two hours. Ok, the X5 has more sensors that need properly placed and calibrated so maybe that's another 30 min. So maybe $3K even out the door would sound about right. Go get a quote from Safelite and maybe another dealer and compare.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 05:11 PM   #5
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Do a search on this. I posted that *many* are just subbed out to the local glass shop - where the glass shop does it . In that same thread, there were a few if I recall that said it was directly done -inhouse- with dealer techs.

There is one big difference afaik. BMW's correct procedure is to use slow set glue. Universally, afaik, most glass shops will use rapid set
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 04:12 PM   #6
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
Do a search on this. I posted that *many* are just subbed out to the local glass shop - where the glass shop does it . In that same thread, there were a few if I recall that said it was directly done -inhouse- with dealer techs.

There is one big difference afaik. BMW's correct procedure is to use slow set glue. Universally, afaik, most glass shops will use rapid set
You are correct. BMW uses slow set glue. I had 2 windshields replaced at a BMW dealer that has a body shop. Same as the OP, I had to pay them and submit a claim for reimbursement. They replaced all the sensors and trim with new and also keep the car for 24 hours to insure the glue is properly set. Price was a bit more than double what Safelight quoted.
      06-23-2023, 04:21 PM   #7
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I had mine done and went with a shop that was also an authorized Geico dealer. they managed to get OEM glass approved without any issue. The glass alone was close to 2K since i have HUD.
      06-23-2023, 04:31 PM   #8
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep

my 2 cents

I am replacing my X5 windshield on Monday, at small shop in my neighborhood.
They quoted the aftermarket glass from Pilkington (no HUD) for $600 installation and re-calibration included. For that amount I can afford to replace the windshield every year and still pay considerable less than the glass coverage option on my insurance.

I replaced the OEM glass on my partner's 3 series with Pilkington before and it proves to be several times more resistant than the OEM. I'm located in a state with very high windshield breaking/ chipping incidence.
OEM does not necessarily/ always means best quality out there. Of course, there are other factors people take into consideration when replacing glass.

Considering the quality of the chinese brand FUYAO that has been equipping the X5's for the last 3+ years, no aftermarket glass could be worse, unless it is, of course, another FUYAO (even if endorsed by the bmw logo!)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 09:18 AM   #9
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by remeeno View Post
my 2 cents

OEM does not necessarily/ always means best quality out there. Of course, there are other factors people take into consideration when replacing glass.

Considering the quality of the chinese brand FUYAO that has been equipping the X5's for the last 3+ years, no aftermarket glass could be worse, unless it is, of course, another FUYAO (even if endorsed by the bmw logo!)
I had the windshield replaced last fall at an independent shop that my insurer recommended. They installed a FUYAO windshield that is indistinguishable from the one that came with the car. No functional difference whatsoever (at least that I can detect). And my out of pocket cost was the $100 deductible.

I couldn't care less if it's a Chinese "brand". I suspect the parts in most cars are sourced from a lot of different places.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 01:21 PM   #10
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
I had the windshield replaced last fall at an independent shop that my insurer recommended. They installed a FUYAO windshield that is indistinguishable from the one that came with the car. No functional difference whatsoever (at least that I can detect). And my out of pocket cost was the $100 deductible.

I couldn't care less if it's a Chinese "brand". I suspect the parts in most cars are sourced from a lot of different places.
to each their own

the FUYAO on my X5 was WEAKER THAN A CRACKER

every single small peeble impacting the windshield left a star or crack on it.

to me FUYAO means the very bottom of the auto glass quality
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 01:49 PM   #11
fadiga
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
I'm in Az and last year had my 2019 X5 windshield replaced via safelite for I believe $2.5k

I believe its expected that dealership would have a markup.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 02:58 PM   #12
Jlewisinsyr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 MINI Cooper Convertible S

Quote:
my 2 cents

I am replacing my X5 windshield on Monday, at small shop in my neighborhood.
They quoted the aftermarket glass from Pilkington (no HUD) for $600 installation and re-calibration included. For that amount I can afford to replace the windshield every year and still pay considerable less than the glass coverage option on my insurance.

I replaced the OEM glass on my partner's 3 series with Pilkington before and it proves to be several times more resistant than the OEM. I'm located in a state with very high windshield breaking/ chipping incidence.

If you have HUD, I’ll warn you there are a ton of complaints about aftermarket windshields and HUD (including my own). Additional issues come with the adaptive cruise and other sensors with after market windshields. Even beyond HUD, I could tell the quality of the glass visually distinctive between OEM and aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 10:56 PM   #13
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlewisinsyr View Post
If you have HUD, I’ll warn you there are a ton of complaints about aftermarket windshields and HUD (including my own). Additional issues come with the adaptive cruise and other sensors with after market windshields. Even beyond HUD, I could tell the quality of the glass visually distinctive between OEM and aftermarket.

Already mentioned it: “(no HUD).

Replaced OEM with Pilkington on a 2020 3 series - huuuge diference.
Pilkington could take the OEM’s place ANYTIME, if only reliability would be the objective here.
But it’s not.
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      06-26-2023, 04:02 AM   #14
luffs-via
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Hello, awaiting delivery of my first X5 from a BMW Dealer. It’s a 2021 model CPO vehicle with factory warranty remaining before CPO warranty kicks in.

All good condition and passed the CPO inspection as well. Only problem is that the vehicle has a crack in the windshield which the dealer is required to replace OEM but it’s on back order (been ordered from Germany but no ETA). Dealer suggesting putting an aftermarket one as temporary solution in the meantime and will replace it once the OEM part comes in (hopefully in a month?!).

Will this cause any problem until it’s replaced with the right part? Heard the HUD and rain sensors give problems and other codes messed up? Also will this void any warranties? Dealer is vouching no issues with this temporary measure and will also state the OEM replacement in writing.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 05:59 AM   #15
Jlewisinsyr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Already mentioned it: “(no HUD).

Replaced OEM with Pilkington on a 2020 3 series - huuuge diference.
Pilkington could take the OEM’s place ANYTIME, if only reliability would be the objective here.
But it’s not.
So you replaced one in a 3 series and automatically assuming it’s going to be the same in an X5, got it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 07:08 AM   #16
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I would rather have my windshield replaced at a place that does it every day. Most dealers don't have the expertise to replace windshields IMHO. Safelite replaced mine with an OEM windshield and my insurance company paid everything except $150. Did a great job including recalibrating all the cameras.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 1
LDT1583.00
      06-26-2023, 09:12 AM   #17
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
So you replaced one in a 3 series and automatically assuming it’s going to be the same in an X5, got it.
I unfortunately let Safelite use Pilkington on my M340i and regretted it two minutes after. They did ask right before they installed it but after talking about it thought it would be fine. Even though it was rated for HUD, the image was blurry. Luckily after getting my tint it cleared it up enough to be livable. Since then I have seen a number of folks have a similar issue.

Safelite has done a handful of replacements for me and I always thought they did a good job until a few months after my last replacement on the X5 when I started getting errors for the wiping and auto-dimming systems. Turns out there was a bubble in the gel pack used between the windshield and the sensor. A new one is supposed to be used each time and they evidently didn't or creased the new one. My dealer changed it out and recalibrated everything, thankfully they only charged me for the pack and not the labor.

Likely only OEM from my dealer for me from now on.
      06-26-2023, 11:04 AM   #18
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I unfortunately let Safelite use Pilkington on my M340i and regretted it two minutes after. They did ask right before they installed it but after talking about it thought it would be fine. Even though it was rated for HUD, the image was blurry. Luckily after getting my tint it cleared it up enough to be livable. Since then I have seen a number of folks have a similar issue.

Safelite has done a handful of replacements for me and I always thought they did a good job until a few months after my last replacement on the X5 when I started getting errors for the wiping and auto-dimming systems. Turns out there was a bubble in the gel pack used between the windshield and the sensor. A new one is supposed to be used each time and they evidently didn't or creased the new one. My dealer changed it out and recalibrated everything, thankfully they only charged me for the pack and not the labor.

Likely only OEM from my dealer for me from now on.
After reading many of your posts where you talk about your dealer, I must say...you've got a pretty dang good dealer. Or, a relative working there. Or, you used to work there. Or, you own the place Either way, lucky you!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 12:51 PM   #19
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Nah, I don’t think you did.

I’ve just expressed highlights of a 6+ years of direct EXPERIENCE with glass on bmw’s.
Care to share yours, ‘cause for some reason is not that clear?

I don’t see why replacing the windhshield on a 3 series would be that different from one on an X5?

I am actually replacing the glass on the X5 with Pilkington, on Wednesday.
I will soon post more details on that.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 02:15 PM   #20
Jlewisinsyr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nah, I don’t think you did.

I’ve just expressed highlights of a 6+ years of direct EXPERIENCE with glass on bmw’s.
Care to share yours, ‘cause for some reason is not that clear?

I don’t see why replacing the windhshield on a 3 series would be that different from one on an X5?

I am actually replacing the glass on the X5 with Pilkington, on Wednesday.
I will soon post more details on that.
Cheers
  1. The windshield size is significantly different than a 3 series.
  2. Newer BMWs have more sensors built in behind the glass
  3. I have personally had many windshields replaced, OEM and non-OEM including in my own X5

Now, why do you find the need to be so argumentative in every damn post? Like take some guidance from people that actually know their shit!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 02:48 PM   #21
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
  1. The windshield size is significantly different than a 3 series.
  2. Newer BMWs have more sensors built in behind the glass
  3. I have personally had many windshields replaced, OEM and non-OEM including in my own X5
Another difference, and the one that I believe is causing so many cracks and not anything to do with the quality of the glass, is the angle of the windshield. I obviously not done any testing but given the more upright angle I think the rock impacts tend to cause damage rather than just bouncing off like lower angle windshields.
      06-26-2023, 03:15 PM   #22
chefwong
Major
Rep

SSG, Sekurit, Pilkington, PGW, Fuyao and the laundry list goes on....
I don't put much weight into them but if I ever need to get glass replaced, I generally shoot to have the Roundel on it . Mainly because it keeps things *oe* and for a OCD person who notices these things, presumably the next buyer does as well
Appreciate 1