New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 REx

Only two years with the new model?

Looking at the recent history of the Z-series, I have to wonder if BMW plans a two-year run with this upgraded version of the Z4? Since it isn't truly a new car and even carries the same moniker as the original, is BMW considering it a new model and beginning a new run, or are they considering it a face lift and letting it finish out an 8-year run of the Z4. The Z3 stuck around from 1996 to 2002 with no major face lift. The Z4 has now been around since 2003, so if this is just a face lift, does that mean it'll be done in a couple of years? And if so, what then? The new Z2? A Z5 or Z6?

Don't get me wrong, I love the new car. Though I haven't seen it in person, I think it's a big improvement over an already very nice car. I kind of would prefer that it stick around a while so that maybe I'd have a shot at a nicely affordable CPO in a couple of years

I just wonder if BMW is going to follow their history or if the E89 is effectively resetting the clock. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVExotics View Post
Looking at the recent history of the Z-series, I have to wonder if BMW plans a two-year run with this upgraded version of the Z4? Since it isn't truly a new car and even carries the same moniker as the original, is BMW considering it a new model and beginning a new run, or are they considering it a face lift and letting it finish out an 8-year run of the Z4. The Z3 stuck around from 1996 to 2002 with no major face lift. The Z4 has now been around since 2003, so if this is just a face lift, does that mean it'll be done in a couple of years? And if so, what then? The new Z2? A Z5 or Z6?

Don't get me wrong, I love the new car. Though I haven't seen it in person, I think it's a big improvement over an already very nice car. I kind of would prefer that it stick around a while so that maybe I'd have a shot at a nicely affordable CPO in a couple of years

I just wonder if BMW is going to follow their history or if the E89 is effectively resetting the clock. Any thoughts?
Three things argue for a long (or at least longer) model run:

1. Marketing rollout. Is being treated like an entirely new model; costly to repeat this in two years.

2. Engineering: lots of new stuff, lots of body work, new iDrive, etc. Again, unlikely to throw this away soon and no need to do so.

3. N54 engine: this is a model-stretcher for all the BMWs carrying it, especially mated with DCT.

My guess is maybe an M-model in a couple years (suspension, tires, M-DCT, probably a tuned N54, looks tune-up) and a mid-cycle refresh on looks in 3 or 4. Coupe model? Guess is no.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

It may carry over a few ques from the previous Z4, but I don't think you'll find much of anything on this that will be interchangeable with the old car. This is a new car in the same way that the F01 is a new 7 series even if it isn't a radical departure in styling.

There may be spin-off limited run versions in the future, perhaps a fixed roof version like the SLK55 black edition or an M, but this is the new Z, it just didn't go up a number like the Z3-Z4.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

i dont care much about that!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Quote:
it isn't truly a new car and even carries the same moniker as the original
It is an entirely new car.

The 3 series has had the same moniker for decades but every 7 years or so it gets an entirely new body. The new Z4 is entirely new.

It'll run like this for 3-4 years and then receive a facelift and go for about another 3 years. Altogether it'll go for 6-7 years like mostly all BMW models.

If it follows the same pattern as the previous generation Z4, an M version and fixed top coupe will debut at the same time as the facelift.
      01-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep

Okay, so with all this in mind, I guess it's the previous Z4 that had a limited run compared to the Z3, for instance.

Either way, it's a helluva car! I can't wait to see one in person.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5love View Post
It is an entirely new car...The new Z4 is entirely new.
Granted it is very different, but you can't deny the strong previous Z4 influences in this new car. It strikes me more as an evolutionary car rather than a revolutionary car like the Z4 was compared to the Z3. Those cars shared very few design cues, obviously because they had different designers. These cars, though quite unique, still share an obviously close relationship.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Stoky
Private
Rep
Drives: Not a Z4

Quote:
Granted it is very different, but you can't deny the strong previous Z4 influences in this new car. It strikes me more as an evolutionary car rather than a revolutionary car like the Z4 was compared to the Z3. Those cars shared very few design cues, obviously because they had different designers. These cars, though quite unique, still share an obviously close relationship.
That is because the change between the Z3 and Z4 moved it up class. Look at all other new models, ie the 7, 5, and 3ers, they all take on some look from the previous models.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
michal12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Wrong, wrong...

Why on earth do you think this is not a new car?? This E89 generation Z4 is obviously using components (engine lineup and chassis) from E90 3 series. Last generation which came in 2002 was based on E46!
So this new car will be replaced in 2015 or so.

Quote:
Since it isn't truly a new car and even carries the same moniker as the original,
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
michal12
First Lieutenant
Rep

If you think it looks more like an evolution of the old car you should realize thats obviously on purpose. I am not saying its good or bad by its deliberate decision made by BMW marketing. Looks has nothing to do with technology and components used.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep

Very true. You make a good point. There is no denying the vast changes in a lot of respects. I suppose my assumption was based upon the fact that aesthetically they are similar, and of course they share the same name.

By the way, is there some forum etiquette required here of which I'm not aware? That's twice now (first was deleted) that this thread has received responses that seem to suggest that the poster is quite perturbed by my question. I realize a car can be an emotional thing, but come on. I don't believe my question warranted such vehement responses.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Very true. You make a good point. There is no denying the vast changes in a lot of respects. I suppose my assumption was based upon the fact that aesthetically they are similar, and of course they share the same name.

By the way, is there some forum etiquette required here of which I'm not aware? That's twice now (first was deleted) that this thread has received responses that seem to suggest that the poster is quite perturbed by my question. I realize a car can be an emotional thing, but come on. I don't believe my question warranted such vehement responses.
Just trying to give you the right info.

It's an entirely new car. All new components. It just looks similar to the old one.

For instance look at the E65 and the F01 7 series. Evolution in design, but every inch of the car is new.
      01-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #13
michal12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nothing personal mate! I was just surprised that you thought it was just a facelift.

Quote:

Appreciate 0