BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-10-2023, 07:12 PM   #1
drich
Rep
Drives: volvo xc60

Questions on 2024 x5 looking to buy

We went and test drove a xdrive40i but there is no air distribution setting only balanced and dynamic. Is there any way to set only to blow on the floor? Also the driver seat was extremely uncomfortable on the bottom of the seat (caused pain in my thigh on right side) but the passenger seat was ok any suggestions? The seats are multi contour ventilated with sensafin. Also it was a hot day but it seamed like the a/c was struggling to cool, is this a result of the refrigerants or is this normal for BMW? Our saleman was trying to be helpful but not very knowledgeable.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 07:22 PM   #2
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

Curious to hear what others who have the LCI say but I had a 2019 x5 with base seats and drove it for 3 years and never thought bottom/thigh areas were uncomfortable. I found the shoulder area to be uncomfortable but with multi contour seats, that problem is addressed
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 08:00 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone with the LCI will chime in but since there is a way to do it in the rear you would think you could in the front.

It takes some time to get the seats adjusted, definitely nothing you could accomplish on a test drive. Once you have done that then you likely will not have a problem.

Some have problems with the Pre LCI and others don't would imagine it is the same with the LCI. Many times it seems to boil down to not using the system correctly. Hopefully we hear from some LCI owners.
Attached Images

06-10-2023, 09:30 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The HVAC system is quite capable, but it takes a little bit of discovery to figure out what works best for you. Note that when in AUTO, the fan speed can still be used, and it's more of an aggressiveness setting.

FWIW, when you need a/c, blowing it all on your feet may not be the best choice! The cold air is heavier, and tends to fill from the bottom up. It often feels cooler if you blow it out higher, and it will fall, producing a more even cabin if you take it out of auto. Personally, AUTO with the fan kicked up a notch seems to work well for me.

But, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Depending on the seating options, there can be a huge amount of adjustments you can make to fit most people. Because there's so many things you can adjust, as said, it can take a while to find your best fit.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 09:40 PM   #5
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drich View Post
We went and test drove a xdrive40i but there is no air distribution setting only balanced and dynamic. Is there any way to set only to blow on the floor? Also the driver seat was extremely uncomfortable on the bottom of the seat (caused pain in my thigh on right side) but the passenger seat was ok any suggestions? The seats are multi contour ventilated with sensafin. Also it was a hot day but it seamed like the a/c was struggling to cool, is this a result of the refrigerants or is this normal for BMW? Our saleman was trying to be helpful but not very knowledgeable.
I have a 2024 40i, I'll give you my take on this.

For the A/C, turn off the rear climate and try it. It is much stronger with the rear turned off and works better. With the new vents in the 2024 (that bar with notches) I find the A/C underperforms with the rear controls turned on.

I've been wondering about this problem, my 2022 45e had way better cooling, but the electric powered cooling seemed to be better. Note the stupid start/stop doesn't help things with the A/C. I keep the car in Sport on hot days.

For the seats, you will get a million opinions. I had the luxury seats (what your are describing) and hated them. Found them to be too hard. For me, I like the regular multi contour (not massage or ventilation) first and the sport seats second.

My guess is as more people get the 2024/LCI there will be more discussions on the A/C including moving the fan control into iDrive 8. I used to fiddle with that all the time, now it is a pain. Something seems off with the A/C when the rear climate is on.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 07:53 PM   #6
drich
Rep
Drives: volvo xc60

The dealer said they had the seat looked at, so we took another test drive and wasn't much better. I drove for about a half an hour messed with the seat's adjustments a lot with no success still pain in my right thigh. There is no way to set airflow to the floor, I drive 8 not a very good climate system. Played with the a/c but the cabin on a 90 degree day was uncomfortably warm and could never get the cabin cool. The ventilated seats were useless, seemed like the seat got warmer toward the end of the drive. I ordered this car about 2 months ago so i'm going to pass on it, I don't think it is worth 75k. The only enjoyable thing about this car experience was the look on the sales managers face when he was returning our deposit. Time to start looking for something else any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 03:53 PM   #7
John Jacobs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Hybrid

2024 X5 Seat Issues

Along with the constant software problems I have had since taking delivery in August 23 the drivers seat is very uncomfortable. I have had it in to the dealer 12 times since I got it, mostly to try and correct software problems, but also to try and adjust the seat. I am 6' tall and about 210 pounds and nobody can figure out why the pads that hit your hips are so uncomfortable. Worse on one side than the other, but VERY uncomfortable on anything other than a short drive. This is my 3rd X5 but it will definitely be my last.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 04:08 PM   #8
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
I’ve put 7,000 miles on my M60i and find the a/c and seats to be quite comfy. I live in a hot weather climate and the vehicle cools down quickly. I have climate comfort pkg. Seats are far more comfortable than my outgoing Cayenne and more adjustable as well. I’ve taken two trips in 2,000 miles round trip and a couple of 750 mile round trips. My seats are ventilated which some say are harder. That said I wouldn’t buy any car if I couldn’t got comfortable in the drivers seat. Maybe the demo is just a dud. Do they have another X5 you could test drive?
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 1
WagonFan271.50
      01-10-2024, 04:09 PM   #9
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

The ventilated seats have a reputation as being less comfortable. Our heated multicontour non ventilated seats are wonderfully comfortable but ours is a 2019 so maybe they've been redesigned.
Appreciate 2
LDT1583.00
      01-10-2024, 04:33 PM   #10
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jacobs View Post
Along with the constant software problems I have had since taking delivery in August 23 the drivers seat is very uncomfortable. I have had it in to the dealer 12 times since I got it, mostly to try and correct software problems, but also to try and adjust the seat. I am 6' tall and about 210 pounds and nobody can figure out why the pads that hit your hips are so uncomfortable. Worse on one side than the other, but VERY uncomfortable on anything other than a short drive. This is my 3rd X5 but it will definitely be my last.
Which seats do you have?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 09:58 PM   #11
tscharf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

I have an LCI with the multi-contour seat upgrade. The best compliment is to say I don't notice them at all after the initial adjustment. My wife is very picky about the seats and we ended up with BMW after eliminating half the competition on seats alone. Seats are probably like shoes, dependent on the person.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2024, 10:28 PM   #12
aussieintexas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 SO/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscharf View Post
I have an LCI with the multi-contour seat upgrade. The best compliment is to say I don't notice them at all after the initial adjustment. My wife is very picky about the seats and we ended up with BMW after eliminating half the competition on seats alone. Seats are probably like shoes, dependent on the person.
Same for us - back in 2018 we tested all the competition coming from a MDX when my wife found the seats an issue after hip surgery. The only seat that she could feel comfortable in was the BMW multis contour and we have retained the same since with a ‘21 X5 and will be adding a ‘24 M60 with multi contour. We do several trips a year from Houston to Colorado and I love the seats with the massage and ventilation
2011 - 2006 E46 M3 Conv SMG Black/black - great (except for SMG) (Perth, Aust). 1st foray into M's -slippery slope (sold 2013)
ED 2009 E90 335i - Le Mans, (sold 2010)[URL="http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365925
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 10:42 PM   #13
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
I’ve put 7,000 miles on my M60i and find the a/c and seats to be quite comfy. I live in a hot weather climate and the vehicle cools down quickly. I have climate comfort pkg.
I share the same experience. Had several long trips. Seats comfy. There are so many adjustments, that I kept tweaking until arrived to my final setting approx. after 2 weeks and 2000 miles. But as someone mentioned it may is like shoes. It fits many but not all.

Climate on 8.5.
- Airflow distribution can be set to downwards.
- I spent a week in the FL Keys with temps in the high 90’s or low 100’s F.
I rarely had to adjust or use the highest settings.
- However what I knew from day 1, through this forum was, to adjust the individual upper body temperature setting. I lowered it, which made a noticeable difference.
If I would have lowered it all the way it would have been too cold.
Appreciate 1
LDT1583.00
      01-11-2024, 08:59 AM   #14
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Quote:
. Time to start looking for something else any suggestions.
If you like the X5 try a CPO 2022 or 2023? See if seats and AC are better? If not, Audi, Porsche, and MB come to mind if you want to,stay with the Germans….
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 09:06 AM   #15
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographer918 View Post
If you like the X5 try a CPO 2022 or 2023? See if seats and AC are better? If not, Audi, Porsche, and MB come to mind if you want to,stay with the Germans….
They are no different, I know, I've owned the pre LCI M50i.
Appreciate 1
WagonFan271.50
      01-12-2024, 12:08 AM   #16
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
They are no different, I know, I've owned the pre LCI M50i.
What are you talking about? The vents didn’t change on the LCI? The menu settings in Idrive 7 are identical to Idrive 8/8.5?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 05:41 PM   #17
BeEmVee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 40i

AC in LCI takes a minute or longer of blowing warmer air before it begins cooling, from my experience.
Appreciate 0