E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Weird and Extreme Electrical Issues

06-03-2023, 05:46 AM   #1
Dexman45
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335i n54

Weird and Extreme Electrical Issues

Hey fellas, I've been dealing with a near extreme electronic issue ever since replacing and coding my battery. Several functions have died and never came back to life. A short list: Central locking, dtc button is stuck on, windshield wipers don't stop, and I believe my AC isn't working, most importantly fuel level senders aren't reading...shows empty tank.

I've checked fuses, they're all fine. I've checked voltages on the bsd lead/line and every connection I could think of (jbbe connections, fuses, B+ lines, etc). Any clues? I have codes for only some of the lost functions (5E5B = dtc, 931A, 2de4/5=fuel level, and a peculiar A738=JBE Power supply interrupted).

I have given a shot a replacing certain components (new bsd/negative ground cable and terminal, new B+ fuse box, B+ cable, voltage regulator, fuses, used jbbe from ebay, coded and matched to vin). All this and ZERO change in between every component change.

Never had to take my car to the shop, but I trust my mother's mechanic. He didn't dive too deep but he wasn't able to correct anything with his Autell. He could only actuate the fuel gauge to only 20% and 80% manually. Everything is up to date software wise according to him too.

Any ideas for at least one of the errors?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 10:07 AM   #2
JB20DGM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

It sounds like it could be something to do with the FRM (Footwell Module)...I believe it pretty much controls most/all of the functions you're having issues with.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 12:44 PM   #3
Dexman45
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB20DGM View Post
It sounds like it could be something to do with the FRM (Footwell Module)...I believe it pretty much controls most/all of the functions you're having issues with.
I managed to fix all the issues. Previously the water pump went out (longer story and reason behind that, it was actually only 6 months old) and it took the can line down with it. While I was trying to figure that out I took out and replaced a few fuses (none were blown) and added some more to the empty slots that correlated with some of the issues I had. I changed the size of my battery again in coding to be 70AH, ran a few ISTA-d procedures and cleared codes a few times and everything is functional like before including AC. Thanks for any help you provided.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 03:31 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman45 View Post
... I've been dealing with a near extreme electronic issue ever since replacing and coding my battery. [Can't connect to Battery to "Code Battery". You either change "Battery Capacity/Type" setting in CAS by Coding, or Register Replacement Battery or Reset Histogram in DME Power Module.] Several functions have died and never came back to life. A short list: Central locking, dtc button is stuck on, windshield wipers don't stop, and I believe my AC isn't working, most importantly fuel level senders aren't reading...shows empty tank.

I've checked fuses, they're all fine. [My "Bet" is they were NOT all fine. There are 5 fuses supplying power to the JBE Module. The JBE Module is involved in ALL of your fault issues (NOT the FRM Module which is related to NONE). BTW, HOW did you "check fuses" and which ones were "checked"?? Did you have ANY fuse chart, wiring diagram for Fuel Level Sensors, DSC Switch Functions, JBE Supply, etc.?] I've checked voltages on the bsd lead/line and every connection I could think of (jbbe connections, fuses, B+ lines, etc). Any clues? I have codes for only some of the lost functions (5E5B = dtc, 931A, 2de4/5=fuel level, and a peculiar A738=JBE Power supply interrupted).

I have given a shot a replacing certain components [read "I threw parts"] (new bsd/negative ground cable and terminal, new B+ fuse box, B+ cable, voltage regulator, fuses, used jbbe from ebay, coded and matched to vin). All this and ZERO change in between every component change...
Welcome to the Forum!
Your first post was at 6:46 AM TODAY, and 2nd, announcing you had "fixed all the issues" was less than 7 hours later, at 1:44 PM. You provided NO data or test results suggesting you correctly identified the CAUSE(S) of the reported faults, and what you did to correct the fault(s). If you have ANY CLUE, please enlighten the rest of us.

You do NOT provide the build Month/Year of your 335i E92 N54, and there are multiple fuse layouts and numbering depending upon build date.

Since you took the time to join the forum and post this thread, please take the time to share any actual KNOWLEDGE gained in this exercise, with those Forum Member who took the time to read it.

Yes, we're happy that a new Forum Member found the cause of multiple issues so quickly. However YOU could help other Forum Members (AND Yourself ;-) by taking the time to post any specific test result and CAUSE of the Issues, per YOUR experience. Otherwise we an only attribute your "success" to "Blind Hog Syndrome".
George
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 04:21 PM   #5
Dexman45
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Welcome to the Forum!
Your first post was at 6:46 AM TODAY, and 2nd, announcing you had "fixed all the issues" was less than 7 hours later, at 1:44 PM. You provided NO data or test results suggesting you correctly identified the CAUSE(S) of the reported faults, and what you did to correct the fault(s). If you have ANY CLUE, please enlighten the rest of us.

You do NOT provide the build Month/Year of your 335i E92 N54, and there are multiple fuse layouts and numbering depending upon build date.

Since you took the time to join the forum and post this thread, please take the time to share any actual KNOWLEDGE gained in this exercise, with those Forum Member who took the time to read it.

Yes, we're happy that a new Forum Member found the cause of multiple issues so quickly. However YOU could help other Forum Members (AND Yourself ;-) by taking the time to post any specific test result and CAUSE of the Issues, per YOUR experience. Otherwise we an only attribute your "success" to "Blind Hog Syndrome".
George
Sorry about that. The car is 2008 (june 07 build i believe). I tried to avoid the actual cause because it was somewhat specific and I didnt notice the true issue at first.

I replaced the battery and coded and registered it, drove for a day and everything was fine. Drove to go on a date and came home fine. Next day leaving for work, water pump doesnt work, no codes but wont turn on or bleed. The code that came up eventually was 2E84/85 “wp missing”. Skipping a little here, i replaced the pump. It bled fine and operated, drove and tested it. Im kinda young and dumb so i attempted to turn tc off and give it a pull during the test, dtc wont turn on and traction wont turn off, weird. I get home. Next day same issue before wp is “missing” wont bleed or turn on. Even if you actuate it by INPA.

It was here that I began trying everything in the post above. Nothing worked but i replaced every battery component, the jbe, fuses. Throughout the two weeks im trying different things, nothing is changing but every time i turn on the car I loose a function, now doors wont lock, windshield wipers go crazy, no ac, fuel gauge doesnt work.

I give off to my mother’s mechanic who is a genius kinda. Anyway he just takes a gander because he wants me to figure it out (he thinks im still a kid lol, i was prepared to pay). What he does for me though, he watches me take the already replaced water pump off and gets a vacuum pump. Sucks out a ton of gunk (didnt see any when i drained from the junction hose last time) and there was some in the turbine of water pump. Hence why it showed as missing and didnt even try to turn on i guess.

Now with the water pump fixed and completing
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 04:31 PM   #6
Dexman45
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

George
Sorry about that. The car is 2008 (june 07 build i believe). I tried to avoid the actual cause because it was somewhat specific and I didnt notice the true issue at first.

I replaced the battery and coded and registered it, drove for a day and everything was fine. Drove to go on a date and came home fine. Next day leaving for work, water pump doesnt work, no codes but wont turn on or bleed. The code that came up eventually was 2E84/85 “wp missing”. Skipping a little here, i replaced the pump. It bled fine and operated, drove and tested it. Im kinda young and dumb so i attempted to turn tc off and give it a pull during the test, dtc wont turn on and traction wont turn off, weird. I get home. Next day same issue before wp is “missing” wont bleed or turn on. Even if you actuate it by INPA.

It was here that I began trying everything in the post above. Nothing worked but i replaced every battery component, the jbe, fuses. Throughout the two weeks im trying different things, nothing is changing but every time i turn on the car I loose a function, now doors wont lock, windshield wipers go crazy, no ac, fuel gauge doesnt work.

I give off to my mother’s mechanic who is a genius kinda. Anyway he just takes a gander because he wants me to figure it out (he thinks im still a kid lol, i was prepared to pay). What he does for me though, he watches me take the already replaced water pump off and gets a vacuum pump. Sucks out a ton of gunk (didnt see any when i drained from the junction hose last time) and there was some in the turbine of water pump. Hence why it showed as missing and didnt even try to turn on i guess.

Now with the water pump fixed and completing the BSD signal line (correct me if im wrong), everything ess technically fixed. I dont know exactly what fuses I replaced this morning that I didnt take out the weeks before. I know for w fact that some of the fuse slots I filled hadnt been populated since i bought the car years ago. I went through populated all the slots that correlated with my lost functions, while running ISTA-D procedures for each function. Regained central locking, ac, dtc button functionality, and other bits and bobs but the fuel gauge still didnt work. I fixed this by running the ISTA-D procedure for the fuel tank sensor codes and the KOMBI code that comes with that. After a few instrument gauge tests and code clears on ISTA, the gauge works great.
Appreciate 0