E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need Advice! 335i Purchase, is it modded?

01-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
jmilber
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon 335i Sedan

Need Advice! 335i Purchase, is it modded?

Hey everyone,

New to this forum and on Monday could very well be transitioning from the world of Audi to the wonderful world of BMW's-- specificaly a 2007 beautiful 335i Sedan w/ sport/premium/nav/logic 7 and all the other good juice!

Here's the issue--- the dealer found out there "once" was a chip in the car apparently, so it lost its CPO but after careful negotiations they gave me a free 2-year extended warranty and cut the price down for me, so I am flying down to Orange County Monday to look at it and probably buy it.

SO.... The technician said he looked at everything and everything is completely stock in it right now, but before they told me they drove it and it felt like it had extra hp in it! They couldn't find any modded parts in it though... What on earth could be causing there to be an extra 60-100hp if they cant find a chip or anything in it? Is it possible that the ECU was tampered with without a chip being visible? If so, could I get the ECU to it's normal state again? Please let me know any advice you have on this issue-- the sooner the better since i'm flying down Monday. Thank you all for your inputs!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
BOOST3D
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 328i 2000,X5 2003,2008 335i

ecu flash maybe?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
jmilber
Enlisted Member
Rep

ECU Flash

Is there any way to "UNFLASH" it? I dont like having my ECU changed iwth something i have no idea about...... I want to put JB3 in it because I heard it is hard to detect... What if I put the JB3 on while my ECU is flashed?? Would it just set it to the correct JB3 settings or cause eminent mayhem?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Ask the dealer to reflash the ECU. That will wipe out any flash that was on the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Hmmm...I say got a pretty sweet deal, because now if you go in for warranty work and you decide to get a tune, and they say that there are signs of tuning, you can say you have your other warranty to back up your claim as they sold you the car that way

Obviously get everything in writing, I also came from the Audi world and we all know how we love to tune our turbo cars

I also live in the city, let me know if you have any questions...The N54 is the best thing since the old 2.7T motor

Cheers and congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 01:36 AM   #6
jmilber
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey

Hey Joe-- you have a good point there. They promised that the previous tuning woudn't void my warranty, so I figure if I throw a JB3 on there now and just take it off before service, they can never void me! From what I heard, the JB3 is pretty undetectable anyway.

The only thing im worried about is that I dont know how to tell if my ECU is flashed or not.... the dealer said the car feels faster than stock but who knows. I will see tommorow. If it is flashed, and I put a JB3 on, what would the consequences be? Should I definitely have it flashed back to stock first or something...

Do you have a 335i too Joe? If so, perhaps I could swing by when I get it and you can tell me if my car feels stock or not? I have nothing to compare it by and was looking for someone with a 335i for comparison.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilber View Post
Hey Joe-- you have a good point there. They promised that the previous tuning woudn't void my warranty, so I figure if I throw a JB3 on there now and just take it off before service, they can never void me! From what I heard, the JB3 is pretty undetectable anyway.

The only thing im worried about is that I dont know how to tell if my ECU is flashed or not.... the dealer said the car feels faster than stock but who knows. I will see tommorow. If it is flashed, and I put a JB3 on, what would the consequences be? Should I definitely have it flashed back to stock first or something...

Do you have a 335i too Joe? If so, perhaps I could swing by when I get it and you can tell me if my car feels stock or not? I have nothing to compare it by and was looking for someone with a 335i for comparison.
That's obsurd...there are a couple of flashes out there, and I am guessing that IF it is flashed 99% chance it's dinan...and if it's Dinan they should have a record, call up Dinan and give them your VIN and they should be able to confirm.

AND if it's Dinan, DO NOT put any piggyback, just enjoy the free tune

I do have a 335i, and it's stock right now as I am going into service Wednesday and my Proceed is at Vishnu right now.

When do you bring the car up, but for sure....when/if you get the car we can do some back to back drives to confirm, but I would call up Dinan today or tomorrow (today is MLK) and see if they have that VIN on record.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Shinchan
LED Rules
Rep
Drives: Sold: 335xi Coupe

You might have one of those car that VIN number has been marked by BMW NA of been tuned. I would be worry about getting a car that has VIN numbered been mark. Take the VIN number and call BMW NA to make sure that VIN is not on the list of car that was original warranty voided.
      01-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

all very good points above.

good luck OP, seems like you may get a sweet deal.
btw, if you are not sure if there is a flash or another tune in that car right now, DO NOT put a JB or anything else in until you know U R back to stock.
a piggy on top of another tune is not a good idea at all. i think someone did a piggy on top of another piggy and he had BIG problems after.
btw how many miles on the car??
Appreciate 0