BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-23-2023, 08:21 PM   #1
stlbanker
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive45e

Automatic window glitch

My X5 will randomly roll down the driver's side window when I pull into the driveway, get close to the garage and hit the mirror toggle to fold them in (my normal routine). It doesn't activate 100% of the time, maybe 25% of the time when pulling into my driveway.

I have the "automatic window" option unchecked on the automate habits settings, so I'm not sure why this gremlin keeps come back (which is very annoying on rainy days).

I use one FOB (my backup is far away inside the house), and there's only one driver profile saved to the car and FOB.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 09:26 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbanker View Post
My X5 will randomly roll down the driver's side window when I pull into the driveway, get close to the garage and hit the mirror toggle to fold them in (my normal routine). It doesn't activate 100% of the time, maybe 25% of the time when pulling into my driveway.

I have the "automatic window" option unchecked on the automate habits settings, so I'm not sure why this gremlin keeps come back (which is very annoying on rainy days).

I use one FOB (my backup is far away inside the house), and there's only one driver profile saved to the car and FOB.

Any suggestions?
Try these simple things, see if any work

1. Put a checkmark in the window box as if to enable it. Leave that screen and then come back to it and remove the checkmark.

2. Do an iDrive reset

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 09:15 PM   #3
stlbanker
Rep

I did both before leaving for work today... got home and the window didn't open automatically. We'll see if it sticks this time.... previously it stays put for a few weeks at a time before the gremlin reappears.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 09:52 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did both before leaving for work today... got home and the window didn't open automatically. We'll see if it sticks this time.... previously it stays put for a few weeks at a time before the gremlin reappears.

Thanks!
Ok, well, interesting that it seems to come back after a few weeks, do keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 08:06 PM   #5
stlbanker
Rep

It came back this week out of nowhere. I did notice that when I pulled into my driveway I saw a notification that an "activation point reached" which is obviously triggering the window to go down, like I'm at a toll booth or whatever.

Not sure why this thing keeps getting turned back on again and again
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 09:38 PM   #6
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Isn’t this one of the never-used bmw apps - where you can set a gps point to automatically lower window? Maybe that app needs to be turned off?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 08:12 AM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It came back this week out of nowhere. I did notice that when I pulled into my driveway I saw a notification that an "activation point reached" which is obviously triggering the window to go down, like I'm at a toll booth or whatever.

Not sure why this thing keeps getting turned back on again and again
E91toG05 is right, there is a feature in iDrive where you can state a GPS location to have the drivers window auto roll down. For example, say you drive to work and have to pass through a badge reader before being allowed to pass the gate into the parking lot. You get to the badge reader, enable this feature and from then on, just before getting to that location your drivers window will auto roll down. Maybe you have inadvertently enabled this. Check out this short video I happened to find.. ..

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gK1gZ7Oi2HA
Appreciate 0