E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Bmw 328xi awd not working

03-21-2023, 09:36 PM   #1
LoganN55
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Bmw 328xi awd not working

Hello everyone. I am at my wits end with this issue on my 2007 328xi. I have had the car for 3 years and for the last several months my awd has not been working. I have went to multiple forums, mechanics and more trying to fix the issue. But I hope that someone here can help. Please read all of this before you comment anything because there is a lot to this
So first of all, here are my codes:

VTG:
VTG: Oil wear
VTG: malfunction, transfer box

ABS/DSC:
DSC: T-case internal
DSC hydraulic pump unit
DSC instrument cluster interface (6E0F and 5F49)
(And a couple brake pads wear codes because they broke)

My traction control, abs, cruise control and awd all do not work. I have a brake, abs and traction control light on.

But here is where it gets confusing for my pea brain. I have a scanner that can do active tests on my car. I have tested wheel speed sensors, steering angle sensor and abs pump. But the transfer case actuator test is where it gets extra confusing. It turns on for a few seconds out of the 20 it is supposed to run. I can hear it. But then after the few seconds it shuts off and I get a pop up on my scanner that says "error, ECU rejected". Then when I try again it says it again. If I reset the car then I can run it again for the same few seconds followed by the rejection. I have replaced the transfer case actuator already by the way, and programmed it to the car through my scanner. All the pins on the connector looked fine and I didn't see anything inherently wrong. When I do the test it sounds like the actuator is just freewheeling in the transfer case. Is this alright? And also when I start the car it gets voltage for a few seconds then shuts down. My front drive shaft doesn't spin at all. I am completely confused on this issue. I have already checked all the fuses and everything. If anyone has any insight please reply to this thread. I'm tired of messing with it. Is there any other tests I can run? I have a bunch of live data I have no idea how to read too.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 09:51 AM   #2
Saico
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Do a quick check first: unmount the actuator. Inside the hole it fits into there should be a toothed rack on the right side. Check by hand if it moves. It should be STIFF (cannot be moved by hand/fingers). If it's loose = transfer case needs rebuild.

If it's stiff by hand, take a flat screwdriver and check if it can be moved up or down (can't remember which way now). This movement makes the clutches engage. If the VTG controller senses that the actuator moves too loose or too stiff it throws an error.

When out you can always put 12V to actuator pins to check if it moves ok and does not slip internally - check wiring diagram before on newtis.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2023, 01:52 PM   #3
IghtCya
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

did you find out the issue?
Appreciate 0