E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Differing opinions on Wax vs. Synthetic

05-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Differing opinions on Wax vs. Synthetic

A little while ago I took my car in to one of the best autobody shops in Vancouver (came extremely well recommended) to get my M Aero kit painted and installed. When I picked up my car, I asked the manager about what would keep my car looking it's best, while avoiding swirls, especially with black paint. Up until now, I've only ever used Zaino products, and have been happy with the results, save the lengthy process and manual labour. Here's where it weirded me out...

The shop manager, and two of the panelbeaters standing nearby had never heard of Zaino and looked at me like I still had the crack pipe in my mouth when I told them I'd just bought a PC7424 and was planning on using it on my car. They all swore that nothing beats pure carnuba wax and that using something like a polisher/orbital is only asking for trouble,... and swirl marks!

I respect their opinions as well as the valued comments and recommendations of those on this board; which is how I found out about Zaino and the PC7424. Now, I'm at an impass. I would love to hear from someone who either owns a body shop or knows someone who owns a shop, just so I can get a second opinion.

The goal is simple; to avoid swirl marks, not spend the better half of a day detailing, while keep my car clean and looking like the day I bought it.
      05-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Sorry, I can't refer you to a body shop or an expert body work professional for a second opinion but I can offer my experience. A few short years ago I began lurking on detail forums and followed what became fairly consistent advice. At the time I was doing everything by hand and was fat, dumb and happy (but tired at the end of the day). I was getting progressively better results with my technique and became proud of my work. I was a "dyed in the wool" carnauba guy, too. No doubt it has a fantastic shine and glow.

Then I took the plunge and bought a PC 7336 and and am now using a Hitachi rotary. I also followed all the hoopla on the reputation Zaino was building. The Porter Cable ROB actually got me very excited the very first time I used it - fantastic results in half the time. I now actually like to get a black car with swirls just so I can remove them and impress the heck out of the owner. Also the Zaino shine (in my opinion) is not far behind the carnauba results and simply lasts a looooonnnggg time.

Having found all the advice over the years on products, techniques and equipment I had to try certain things myself and find what I liked. Bottom line - there's really good advice right here and on other forums. You don't need a small group of body shop folks who may be unfamiliar with contemporary products or equipment to scare you off. If confirmation is what you're looking for go no further than the advice that many folks right here have done before you and found to be reliable genuine results.

With that all said, I'd still like to hear from some other body work pro's.

BTW, like the avatar!

Last edited by pander5; 05-18-2006 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0