E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Track Day: helmet suggestions?

05-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Track Day: helmet suggestions?

Hi all,

Any suggestions for a newbie for a track day helmet? I think I would prefer open face as it would be cooler, right? Plus they're less money :P

Any help appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
gotmark73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Waiting for Coupe

Garage List
2007 328 Coupe  [0.00]
I have used Simpson helmets for years, first in go-karts and now in UMARA Midgets. I have only raced open wheel cars so I am possibly talking overkill for what you want but would only run SFI approved full face helmet. Not that much different in price and like the ad used to say if you have $5 head wear a $5 helmet.

Mark

I am not saying we should kill the stupid people, we should just remove the warning labels off of everything and let nature take it's course.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 12:09 AM   #3
hkj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I use Bell M4 Pro, which is a very light SA 2005 helmet. Been happy with it so far. You can find more info at www.bellracing.com

Seeing that you drive an E46 M3, I assume you're planning on track it often. If that's the case, I suggest investing in a quality automative helmet (Bell, Simpson, etc).

If this is your first time at track and you aren't sure if you'll like it, either borrow it from your friend or from the track group, they'll have some loaner helmets available. You can also look for bike helmets (i.e. SM 2000 and above) if your event allows for bike helmets.

Hope this helps. Have fun at track, and be safe.

-hkj
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3
Hi all,

Any suggestions for a newbie for a track day helmet? I think I would prefer open face as it would be cooler, right? Plus they're less money :P

Any help appreciated!
You didn't mention the track or club's requirements on the helmet you're wearing. Most will allow the M rated helmets, some require the (more expensive) SA rated helmet.

Since you're a novice and may not do many events ayear, you can probably get away with the M rated helmet, if the track or club allows it.

I instruct, so I don't like wearing my full face helmet, especially if it's a sunny day out, and I'm wearing sunglasses. As you noted, an open face helmet is also a lot cooler on those hot days. I picked up an HJC CL-31 at http://helmetcity.com for $85. They do make a sell SA rated openfaced helmets for a good bit more, and some for a good bit less.

Make sure you get one that you are comfortable with and that fits you correctly. You should not be able to twist the helmet on your head. It should be snug, but comfortable.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Ditto. For occasional track use, you can't beat HJC. I posted my whole helmet buying experience -- search for it.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0