BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-16-2022, 07:54 AM   #1
storx
Rep
Drives: 2016 Chevy Colorado

45e: Is this Adaptive Mode Possible?

Question for the 45e folks.

I have read that you can program your route in the vehicle and put it in adaptive mode, that it would use EV and GAS best based on the route your driving to maximise effeciency.

My question is this...
I drive 47 miles each way to work/home during the week. Out of that 94 miles total, 40 miles of it is stop and go traffic, the remaining 54 is all highway expressway. Is there a way to program the entire trip in the vehicle? Like both directions at once, so it would know to use EV for only 20 miles of my morning trip and 20 miles in the evening trip home? then use gasoline for the 54 miles on expressway???

Also is there a way to save trips, so you can easily recall them each day to fully use the adaptive mode?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 08:07 AM   #2
stevieg58
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

I don't believe adaptive mode will do this. My understanding is that adaptive mode has effects on driving style/handling (steering sensitivity changes with speed, throttle sensitivity), but not (as far as I know) efficiency. However, when operated in Hybrid EcoPro mode with Navigation enabled the computer looks at the trip and decides when to turn on/off the ICE (internal combustion engine) in the most efficient manner.

In order to have this in effect for the entire trip you would set your workplace as a "stop" with your home as the final destination.

Trips can be saved in the navigation menu for easy retrieval for future use.

More info: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1795217

Hope that helps.

Last edited by stevieg58; 12-16-2022 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
storx
Rep
Drives: 2016 Chevy Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieg58 View Post
I don't believe adaptive mode will do this. My understanding is that adaptive mode has effects on driving style/handling (steering sensitivity changes with speed, throttle sensitivity), but not (as far as I know) efficiency. However, when operated in Hybrid EcoPro mode with Navigation enabled the computer looks at the trip and decides when to turn on/off the ICE (internal combustion engine) in the most efficient manner.

In order to have this in effect for the entire trip you would set your workplace as a "stop" with your home as the final destination.

Trips can be saved in the navigation menu for easy retrieval for future use.

More info: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1795217

Hope that helps.
Thank you for your reply,

So it sounds like i got the wording mixed up in my readings... Sounds like the Eco Pro mode is the one I'm talking about. Just figured id ask, because I don't actually own one yet.

So it sounds like adding the entire trip is possible, guessing you have tested this or tried it?

My reasoning of asking is, I figured if i just set my work location in the morning, I would drive 8 miles EV getting to the expressway, then it would waste some of the EV on the expressway, because I would only have 14 miles left after I got off the expressway. Why not figure out how to maximize savings on spending fuel with as much driving i do every year.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
stevieg58
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Certainly I have set up routes with stopover destinations. There are lots of ways to do this - from entering manually, to voice control, and I think can also be sent to the car from the BMW app. Here a couple of links that would be of interest:

Here is a discussion thread:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1927532

The one thing that I have not done is set up a multi-stop route as a favorite. Seems like that should be possible, and then it can be recalled either by asking the voice command of "find my favorite destinations", or by assigning the route to one of the favorite keys. Also, some people are saying that the navigation system does not always restart (or ask the driver if they want to restart/complete the route) after a lengthy stop. If you find the lack of an automatic restart to be a problem, an easy workaround would be use the favorite multi-stop route when going to work, and the car will get you to work while "planning" on keeping roughly half the electrical charge available for getting back home. When returning home if the navigation doesn't re-start the route, just pick "home" from your destinations and again the Hybrid EcoPro will use it's algorithm to use the remaining electricity in the most efficient manner possible.

Hope the above makes sense. In short, I think it should do what you want pretty easily.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 03:53 PM   #5
Aloux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x45e

Totally possible. I have a 22 miles each way (total 44) and use the hybrid mode and the car adapts gas/electric automatically after I press my favorite button. I have my commute programmed as a home-work-home trip in the nav system and linked to one of the button. I am often a little bit under the 1/2 of the battery by the time I arrive to work but in the evening, I still get home with less than a mile in electric. The car uses gas on the highway and on other larger roads. Always end up in all electric for the end. The car also suggest to restart my navigation to home when I leave work. I can just click to accept or just press another favorite button. 1 is home, 2 is work, and 3 is home-work-home.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 04:35 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Simple answer, setup a route with work as an intermediary destination, and home as your ultimate final stop. Adaptive anticipates and adjusts the ICE versus EV modes to what is most efficient. Stop and go is more efficient in EV mode, but adaptive also takes into account the speed limits, and grades since it knows where you're going versus plain hybrid without a route.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 08:30 PM   #7
Aloux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x45e

Hybrid with a route does the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 09:10 PM   #8
Flyboy2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by storx View Post
Thank you for your reply,

So it sounds like i got the wording mixed up in my readings... Sounds like the Eco Pro mode is the one I'm talking about. Just figured id ask, because I don't actually own one yet.

So it sounds like adding the entire trip is possible, guessing you have tested this or tried it?

My reasoning of asking is, I figured if i just set my work location in the morning, I would drive 8 miles EV getting to the expressway, then it would waste some of the EV on the expressway, because I would only have 14 miles left after I got off the expressway. Why not figure out how to maximize savings on spending fuel with as much driving i do every year.
I believe any of the hybrid modes will accomplish this if you are using the navigation system and set a destination.

Set your home as the end point. Set your work as a stop in-between your current location and the end point. This should accomplish what you want.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0