BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Stainless Steel Brake-lines

Why didn't BMW include these as standard equipment? If they are worried about crack or bending could they just wrap them in plastic like the after-market ones (i.e. SST) to reduce the risk of fraying from rubbing that BMW might be worried about? These types of lines run about $100 for front and rear lines and everyone who has ever done this upgrade has said it makes a big difference in pedal feel. If it does and its such a small expense, couldn't BMW just add $100 or so to the MSRP and throw them on?

Is there some downside to upgraded steel performance break-lines that I am unaware of that BMW is aware of other than money that has led them to avoid them?

Thanks for in advanced to anyone who chimes in!!!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

BMW has gotta put the brakes on somewhere to control the costs. I think they also know people who are serious trackers will mod the brakes anyhow.

I ordered some and will put on in the spring.

I am pretty sure neither the M5/M6 have SST brake lines. They certainly do have better brakes.
Appreciate 0