BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum GLS and X7

09-08-2022, 05:30 PM   #1
BMW or Benz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Question GLS and X7

Always choosing between GLS and X7... will I regret it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 05:34 PM   #2
BMW or Benz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Usually the driving environment is not very good and there are potholes. I need a very comfortable and quiet car. I don't know which one is better between GLS and X7?
Which car has the quieter and more comfortable suspension, the GLS or the X7?
I have two children and I need these conditions
Tell me I made the right choice!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 05:46 PM   #3
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

The GLS definitely has the more supple suspension. The X7 is geared towards a more sporty driving experience.

Your wheel/tire combo will make a huge difference on how the vehicle feels over rough pavement.
      09-08-2022, 05:56 PM   #4
BMW or Benz
Enlisted Member
Rep

I ordered 22 inch sport tires~~~ I believe his performance will not be ideal. If I switch to quieter, more comfortable tires later, Michelin? Will I get what I want?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 05:59 PM   #5
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750xi

X7 is very quite and very smooth. Very nice over the bumps. You have the DHP which includes road preview so your experience will be much better. I have two kids and love it so far. I liked how X7 drove. GLS has slightly more trunk space behind the 3rd row. I prefer X7 3rd row as it has its own moon roof (makes it open) and own climate control. Hope you enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 06:08 PM   #6
SkiMike
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
Do you like to Drive your cars? Then you made the right choice! Like Al Pină mentioned, tire profile makes a big difference. It looks like you chose the 22" wheels, so you should be OK, but the ride won't be as supple as the std. M Sport 21s. I live in a 'PotHole City' too and test drove a '22 x40i with 22" wheels. I rode over every bridge/road construction site I could find. (Luckily no sales assoc. accompanied me -ha!) I then drove the exact same route in my Volvo XC90 (with air suspension and similar profile wheels/tires). It was night and day with respect to ride quality and road noise. The Volvo (which is being replaced largely for this reason) rode like a log truck in comparison. You should be fine!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 06:12 PM   #7
BMW or Benz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setllarboss View Post
X7 is very quite and very smooth. Very nice over the bumps. You have the DHP which includes road preview so your experience will be much better. I have two kids and love it so far. I liked how X7 drove. GLS has slightly more trunk space behind the 3rd row. I prefer X7 3rd row as it has its own moon roof (makes it open) and own climate control. Hope you enjoy your car.
WOW THX
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 06:17 PM   #8
BMW or Benz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setllarboss View Post
thank you very much! I am confused what exactly is DHP? I feel that the BMW salesmen themselves can't explain it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 06:21 PM   #9
BMW or Benz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMike View Post
Do you like to Drive your cars? Then you made the right choice! Like Al Pină mentioned, tire profile makes a big difference. It looks like you chose the 22" wheels, so you should be OK, but the ride won't be as supple as the std. M Sport 21s. I live in a 'PotHole City' too and test drove a '22 x40i with 22" wheels. I rode over every bridge/road construction site I could find. (Luckily no sales assoc. accompanied me -ha!) I then drove the exact same route in my Volvo XC90 (with air suspension and similar profile wheels/tires). It was night and day with respect to ride quality and road noise. The Volvo (which is being replaced largely for this reason) rode like a log truck in comparison. You should be fine!
I like driving very much! especially quiet cars
Originally, I planned to buy GLS450 and gave the deposit. But I have to wait for three months + MSRP + 10Kmarket adjusted price. So I chose X7
New York New York
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 06:32 PM   #10
BMW or Benz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pină View Post
The GLS definitely has the more supple suspension. The X7 is geared towards a more sporty driving experience.

Your wheel/tire combo will make a huge difference on how the vehicle feels over rough pavement.

Posts I've seen in other forums! ! This is horrible?? I know it's a small chance but I have 2 kids and don't want to bet on it! !
Can this feature be disabled individually?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 07:05 PM   #11
jdloyd01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 xDrive40i

I've owned a 2022 GLS and now a 2023 X7. The GLS has softer suspension and is quieter than the X7. If you get the acoustic comfort package in a GLS it is dead silent.

That said, I like the X7 better. BMW is much more fun to drive. My kids like the rear seat controls better. It's true you get a bit more space in the GLS, but we have not missed it. My kids are all grown (5'9") and are fine in the X7 3rd row.

You will really not regret getting an X7.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 07:54 PM   #12
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

I switched ALL my vehicles to BMW ( have been a M-Benz fan for over 12 years in a row). My very first BMW was the 5-series, which was followed by another BMW before I finally settled with the X7 added to me garage along with the 5-series.

I had the GLS and the S-class.

Quite honestly, I will NEVER look back to MBenz. The ride comfort is honestly better in the Mbenz (aka 7-series vs S-class, or GLS vs X7), however if you get the 21” wheels with DHP you will not be missing anything in ride comfort. The BMW is way more fun to drive. There are way too many things I like in BMW vehicles than Mbenz, with only exception being the soft ride and comfort wherein the Mbenz probably wins. Having said that, we can’t neglect the fact that BMWs are built with sportiness in mind as the #1 factor, hence it is not a surprize there is a very slight compromise on the comfort or soft ride. You can not get it all with one brand, but you can get MOST Of it with BMW. Just my honest opinion, and keep in mind I’ve been a MBenz fan and loyal owner for over 12 years in a row with ONLY Mbenz in my garage. Now they are all gone, and last one to go was replacing the S-class with a BMW 5-series plug-in hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 10:04 PM   #13
skids929
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW or Benz View Post
Always choosing between GLS and X7... will I regret it?
You might hate the replacement cost of those 22s and they only last 13-15k because it's a staggered set-up, thats only about a 1 year of driving for most. Cost about $3k to replace at the time of this post. If you wanted MB-like feel you get the 21s and they are a symmetrical that can rotated and provide a more supple ride.

Either way the x7 rides smooth and silky, 21s definitely ride better and the 22s literally don't provide any performance improvement, they look good though.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 05:11 AM   #14
Bruce322
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, M6 Cab, X7

The big plus of GLS is the huge trunk space behind 2nd and 3rd row.

Our friend has a gls 450 with only 20-inch wheels/maybe 21', and I spent a lot of time riding and driving it during a golf trip last year. I really don't think GLS is more comfortable than x7.

Personally, I think the interior quality of gls is nowhere near as nice as x7(especially compare to full merino leather), GLS feels very "plastic" and cheap to me. The only plus is you can get wood steering wheel on gls.

I heard Mbenz's 48v system has some issues and the car can be suddenly dead on the road. check the MB forum.

Lastly, our local MB dealer is arrogant. I told the sales guy I want to buy & not lease a few months ago, he is trying to convince me to do a lease for MSRP or asking like $5000 over MSRP for buying(also saying they are asking at least $15,000 over for non-local people).
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #15
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

I have a 2019 MB G550 that I like very much, and it's a great year round vehicle in Colorado. Two features I disliked immensely are its lane keeping assist and auto start/stop. The MB dealer flat out refused to disable permanently either one, so I had to hack both systems to shut them off. I didn't want to deal with the same issues on a GLS, so I bought an X7 that allows the LKA to be permanently shut off via iDrive option, and auto s/s to be Bimmercoded off. Also, my '22 X7 M50i does not have the mild hybrid system, that I'm not sold on.
Appreciate 0