E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ultimate zaino Kit

05-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Ultimate zaino Kit

So I ordered the Ultimate protection Zaino kit from zaino for 120$ shipped to my door.. i have a Jet black car and am going to buy the Pc 7424 with the lC pads and what not to apply this stuff but until I get the PC what products should i use to apply the different coats and what not! Ive got MF towels,,cotton towels,, etc just not sure which is the best to use???
I also have no idea how to even use this stuff..ive been reading about it here on the forum and realized its something i need and what not..
so here is what the kit comes with:
# ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
# Z-2 PRO™ Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
# Z-5™ Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
# Z-6™ Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
# Z-7™ Show Car Wash
# Z-9™ Leather Soft Spray Cleaner
# Z-10™ Leather in a Bottle
# Z-16™ Perfect Tire Gloss
# Z-18™ ClayBar
# Zaino Metallic Silver Decal
# & TWO Zaino Custom Polish Applicator for FREE!

so Im guessing Id use the Z-7wash all the time to wash my car once ive zainod??
The process to do is either dawn the car or clay the car?
Then Im thinking to use the ZFX??
Then the z2pro?
then the z5?
then the z6???
And im guessing its then done?? not sure how these steps are all done ezactly Ive read the sticky on Detailing 101 and am still kind of up in the air ..Any help how to use these products correctly for my JEt BLACK BM would be appreciated>>
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

1. Wash with dawn (just the first time, after the initial Zaino, you can just use the Z7 car wash soap instead)

2. Claybar (use Z7 and water in a spray bottle as a lubricant) you can skip the claybar step if you're lazy, also Zaino gives you too little clay imo, next time go with another brand like 3M.

3. Wash with Z7 again and dry the car

4. Polish: You can either use Z2 or Z5, or both. ZFX COMBINES with Z2 or Z5, it's just like an enzyme, it speeds up the drying time by a lot! Also, you use Z6 before and after every coat of Z2 or Z5. It'll give it that mirror shine.

5. Apply Z16 to your tire sidewall and you're done!

That's the basic outline.

Z9 and Z10: Just use them when you need it. You don't need to use the leather cleaners everytime you wash your car, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
afocoryw20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 + 325xi

Garage List
2006 325XI  [0.00]
2005 X3  [0.00]
1990 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
I agree with shimshimhada but I would not use Z5 until your car becomes a little bit older.....Z5 is for cars with swirl marks. Start with the Z2...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afocoryw20
I agree with shimshimhada but I would not use Z5 until your car becomes a little bit older.....Z5 is for cars with swirl marks. Start with the Z2...
His car is Jet Black, I bet he already has swirl marks, and Z5 isn't abrasive anyway. Oh yeah, if you use both Z2 and Z5, end with the Z2 for a better finish.

I only use MF towels, the reason he tells you on the site to use high quality cotton towels is because of the quality-control issue of MF towels. But if you got them from a reputable place, you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Thanks guys..I didnt realize the thing about the z6 u have to apply it inbetween coats huh?? ANd yes Shima your right there is some swirls from my dumbass trying to wipe off some dust..any tips on dust removal..The damb thing collects dust like no other..Is there something i need to put on the car to prevent this?? And what should i use to remove it??
So how do i find out if I have good MF towels or not? is there a good test i could do?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD
Thanks guys..I didnt realize the thing about the z6 u have to apply it inbetween coats huh?? ANd yes Shima your right there is some swirls from my dumbass trying to wipe off some dust..any tips on dust removal..The damb thing collects dust like no other..Is there something i need to put on the car to prevent this?? And what should i use to remove it??
So how do i find out if I have good MF towels or not? is there a good test i could do?
Zaino repels dust! Zaino makes it easier to remove the dust from your car. Best way is to just wash it off, otherwise there's always a risk of light scratches.

Where did you buy your MF towels from?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
afocoryw20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 + 325xi

Garage List
2006 325XI  [0.00]
2005 X3  [0.00]
1990 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
His car is Jet Black, I bet he already has swirl marks, and Z5 isn't abrasive anyway. Oh yeah, if you use both Z2 and Z5, end with the Z2 for a better finish.
Your right......
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
I bought my mf towels from pepboys..
Ok Ive realized I need a couple of different pads on the PC..the lake country pads being the best:
The yellow,orange, white.. which ones do i use with what products of the zaino and in what order??
i just realied pakshak will not ship the Pc to the states right know too whats up with that?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #9
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

You do not need a PC polisher for the products you have. A PC is good to use with an abrasive polish to remove swirls marks from your paint.

You can apply the products you have by hand. Wash with z7, clay with z18, apply z2 mixed with zfx via a foam hand applicator, buff off by hand with an MF towel.

For exact zaino application instructions, see the zaino section of detailing 101.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #10
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
You do not need a PC polisher for the products you have. A PC is good to use with an abrasive polish to remove swirls marks from your paint.

You can apply the products you have by hand. Wash with z7, clay with z18, apply z2 mixed with zfx via a foam hand applicator, buff off by hand with an MF towel.

For exact zaino application instructions, see the zaino section of detailing 101.
Thanks so much David I have read your thread a couple of times I probably need to read it a couple of more times but for the most part I think i grasped it..
Oh ok so I only need a Pc if my paint gets bad swirls??
So I noticed u recommended the Pc with the pads in the thread..IF i do end up getting this what products do I need to use with it to remove swirls like u mentioned....
Is there any other products ud recommend considering I have a BLACK car?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #11
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I actually have some questions for you, fellow David.

What do you think about applying polish with your bare hands? I saw some professional detailer guy do it with wax on Fifth Gear. What's a foam hand applicator? I just use the terry cloth applicators from Zaino.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #12
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much David I have read your thread a couple of times I probably need to read it a couple of more times but for the most part I think i grasped it..
So I noticed u recommended the Pc with the pads in the thread..IF i do end up getting this what products do I need to use with it to remove swirls like u mentioned....
Poorboy's SSR works great for swirls, I hear good things about the Zaino Z-PC abrasive too. If you decide to get Poorboy's SSR, get both the 2.5 and 1.0.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #13
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yup, that's correct. You only need a PC to remove swirls gia an abrasive polish. For applying and removing sealants (like Zaino Z2Pro) you can work by hand.

For polishes to use with your PC. For bad swirls, menzerna IP with a foam cutting pad. For minor swirls and final polishing (before applying Z2Pro), Zaino ZPC and a polishing pad.

Those products should work well on black.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #14
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I actually have some questions for you, fellow David.

What do you think about applying polish with your bare hands? I saw some professional detailer guy do it with wax on Fifth Gear. What's a foam hand applicator? I just use the terry cloth applicators from Zaino.
Applying an abrasive polish by hand is useless. It is even more useless if you use your bare hand to apply the polish. Polishes need heat for their abrasives to break down and actually do what they are intended to (that being to remove swirls and actually 'polish' the paint). A machine can create way more heat and subsequently produce better and more uniform results than your hand ever could.

As for the guy applying the wax by hand. Let me guess, was he applying zymol? Some wax manufacturers recommend applying with your bare hand because the heat from your bady can melt the wax making it more pliable, and thus easier to apply. This logic does not carry over to polishes, as explained above.

A foam hand applicator is my convoluted way of saying a terry cloth applicator, like you got from Zaino.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 07:55 PM   #15
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Applying an abrasive polish by hand is useless. It is even more useless if you use your bare hand to apply the polish. Polishes need heat for their abrasives to break down and actually do what they are intended to (that being to remove swirls and actually 'polish' the paint). A machine can create way more heat and subsequently produce better and more uniform results than your hand ever could.

As for the guy applying the wax by hand. Let me guess, was he applying zymol? Some wax manufacturers recommend applying with your bare hand because the heat from your bady can melt the wax making it more pliable, and thus easier to apply. This logic does not carry over to polishes, as explained above.

A foam hand applicator is my convoluted way of saying a terry cloth applicator, like you got from Zaino.

Hope this helps.
Nice, I know that applying an abrasive is useless by hand, but I was talking about something like Z2 or Z5 by hand instead of using the terry cloth.

EDIT: I used sealant and polish interchangeably, that's probably where you got that.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #16
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice, I know that applying an abrasive is useless by hand, but I was talking about something like Z2 or Z5 by hand instead of using the terry cloth.

EDIT: I used sealant and polish interchangeably, that's probably where you got that.
Yup, that threw me off. Try not to use them interchangably, because they are actually different things. I know Zaino calls their products show car polishes, but technically z2 and z5 are sealants.

As for applying them with your bare hand, I don;t see a benefit. The nice thing about using a terry cloth applicator to apply z2/z5 is that you can get a nice thin, and even coat. Try doing that with your bare hand. I dobt it will turn out well.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #17
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup, that threw me off. Try not to use them interchangably, because they are actually different things. I know Zaino calls their products show car polishes, but technically z2 and z5 are sealants.

As for applying them with your bare hand, I don;t see a benefit. The nice thing about using a terry cloth applicator to apply z2/z5 is that you can get a nice thin, and even coat. Try doing that with your bare hand. I dobt it will turn out well.
I'm gonna try it this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.

I have five terry cloth apps as backup.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #18
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup, that's correct. You only need a PC to remove swirls gia an abrasive polish. For applying and removing sealants (like Zaino Z2Pro) you can work by hand.

For polishes to use with your PC. For bad swirls, menzerna IP with a foam cutting pad. For minor swirls and final polishing (before applying Z2Pro), Zaino ZPC and a polishing pad.

Those products should work well on black.

Hope this helps.
Yes your definitly helping its all starting to come clear to me THANKS!
Exellent I understand most of it know..the only other thing Im about is the pads themselves.. U recommend to buy the yellow,orange, white...I think i understand it..
the yellow and orange being used for bad swirls with the menzerna IP??
And the white pad for final polishing with zaino zpc???
is there a difference in the yellow/orange pads?? and i noticed u said not to buy the black ones..so I just use the white ones to apply the z5 or what not??
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #19
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

DavidN, here's the Fifth Gear segment I was talking about:
http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/the-...f-car-washing/
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #20
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes your definitly helping its all starting to come clear to me THANKS!
Exellent I understand most of it know..the only other thing Im about is the pads themselves.. U recommend to buy the yellow,orange, white...I think i understand it..
the yellow and orange being used for bad swirls with the menzerna IP??
And the white pad for final polishing with zaino zpc???
is there a difference in the yellow/orange pads?? and i noticed u said not to buy the black ones..so I just use the white ones to apply the z5 or what not??
You're welcome.

You are almost correct. Yellow pads can be used with Menzerna IP. Orange pads are hybrid cutting and polishing pads. They have some cut (not as much as yellow, but more than white) and are supposed to finish off as nicely as white pads. You can use menzerna IP or ZPC with this type of pad. White pads are solely polishing pads and can be used with ZPC to finish up and bring out the full gloss in your paint before waxing and sealing. The black pads are used to apply sealants and waxes by machine becuase they have no cut whatsoever. The reason why I don't recommend these pads is because I don't recommend applying sealants and waxes with a machine. I think it's better to apply waxes and sealants by hand (less product used, faster than by machine), hence there is no need for a black pad. If you do want to apply the sealant by machine, then by all means, please buy a black pad. Do not apply your sealant with a white pad.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 09:53 PM   #21
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Exellent man I really appreciate your help Ill be buying the rest of the products in the next couple weeks..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2006, 08:15 PM   #22
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Well i got it all and experimented on her car for mothers day! she got the polish of a lifetime..my wife said the car looks better than the day she bought it..Im stoked to start it on my car but unfortunatly i dont get it back until thursday so ill have to do it then..
Ohh and whats this grand finale spray the instructions reccommended..do I really need it?
Appreciate 0