BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Another "mass" shooting

07-18-2022, 02:40 PM   #1
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Another "mass" shooting

I didnt hear anything about this one on the news or Fakebook (where I get all my news)

Pretty impressive a 22 yr old CCW took this guy out and no bystanders

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/17/us/in...ing/index.html
Appreciate 5
      07-18-2022, 03:00 PM   #2
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
I'm just going to say this - people who commit these crimes (that make the news) often go to places where guns aren't allowed such as malls, schools, etc. Very thankful a good citizen with a gun put the shooter down and saved everyone a bit on the "life in prison" tax fund.
Appreciate 5
Tommy-G4490.50
tcphoto3537.00
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
Torgus3781.50
      07-18-2022, 03:06 PM   #3
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I've started to think that perhaps a public hanging, lethal injection or decapitation like the Saudi's do may deter a couple of these crimes. It made me happy to hear that a good guy was there with a weapon.
      07-18-2022, 03:17 PM   #4
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Adding to my comment above: something needs to be done to help prevent these crimes. The US leads the mass shooting by bad people with guns by a substantial margin. I feel terrible that innocent people lost their lives to some @sshole who walked in and decided to shoot people that day.

For those who are looking at gun regulations - there is overwhelming evidence that mass murders/deaths are performed in the 70%+ range by people using pistols (or higher, depending on the state/area) and not rifles, although the rifle ones make the news and have been more common lately. Knives and car accidents/drunk drivers are involved in mass death situations far more, no, exponentially more than rifles. It's also not about the number of rounds in a magazine, either.

All to say, I'm not sure what the answer is, but "gun-free zone" and 9-round magazines ain't it.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      07-18-2022, 03:22 PM   #5
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

It's like the debate over illegal immigration, if we actually enforced the laws we already have we wouldn't be wasting money on the wall. There is nothing wrong with waiting on a background check to purchase a firearm, isn't it better to make sure the applicant is capable of owning a gun rather than race it through a weak approval process?
      07-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
It's like the debate over illegal immigration, if we actually enforced the laws we already have we wouldn't be wasting money on the wall. There is nothing wrong with waiting on a background check to purchase a firearm, isn't it better to make sure the applicant is capable of owning a gun rather than race it through a weak approval process?
There should also be a background check for your 1st Amendment RIGHT. Same with your 4th Amendment RIGHT, ESPECIALLY the 5th! Ditto for the other 8! The BILL OF RIGHTS is just that. It's NOT a bill of suggestions. The purpose is to limit government, NOT We the People!
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #7
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I hate to even think it but it makes me nervous to have my wife go anywhere. Not that I'm really going to make a difference with her or not but I feel like the more publicized these crimes are the more it gives other people ideas
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 03:43 PM   #8
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

and sometimes good guys shoot other good guys

https://www.9news.com/article/news/c...9-36cce0691d99
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 03:44 PM   #9
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
I'm just going to say this - people who commit these crimes (that make the news) often go to places where guns aren't allowed such as malls, schools, etc. Very thankful a good citizen with a gun put the shooter down and saved everyone a bit on the "life in prison" tax fund.
So, technically the guy was breaking the law? Guess you guys are always right about criminals not obeying laws.

Quote:
I've started to think that perhaps a public hanging, lethal injection or decapitation like the Saudi's do may deter a couple of these crimes. It made me happy to hear that a good guy was there with a weapon.
If it was a deterrent those crimes wouldn't happen. Just like the death penalty here doesn't deter those crimes from happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 03:52 PM   #10
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
So, technically the guy was breaking the law? Guess you guys are always right about criminals not obeying laws.
LOL, I don't know if that mall, in particular, had a gun carry restriction or not. I'd have to go dig around a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #11
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
LOL, I don't know if that mall, in particular, had a gun carry restriction or not. I'd have to go dig around a bit.
That mall restricts guns but mall officials have praised the hero.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 04:37 PM   #12
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

Endless topic and debate…. But very little threat of punishment will deter, most are already committed to suicide, that’s how strongly they feel. Dead people don’t care about a death penalty. These are passive deterrents and accomplish nothing more than making a politician feel like he/she did something important to advertise for their next campaign.

An active deterrent is policing, security measures, armed educated and empowering citizens, spying, awareness, cultural shift that does not allow this to be normal and to stop/kill these shooters before they are able to fully carry out their intent. But some people complain it’s invasion of privacy while others complain it’s dangerous to arm citizens… so we do nothing and we therefore see no improvement as we are afraid to offend peoples rights, apparently peoples rights (most are fake perceptions of rights) is worth more than human life. Expect these shootings to continue forever until we actually make a real change.

Meanwhile. All this is just band-aids on the symptom. What is constantly ignored is root cause. Lots of opinion and debate on what that is…. But it ain’t guns, privacy, rights, free speech. That is smoke and mirrors to the real hard problem. It’s more like this country is a shitty place for a lot of people compounded by growing entitlement that an individual matters more than the whole. What’s for sure not happening is balance, you trade some degree of privacy for a proactive safety, you give up some gun rights for greater armed citizens and safety… but few want to compromise so deadlock happens… thus this keeps happening and will continue to escalate.

My two cents - two major causes to this entire state of state. media is glorifying it all day long… they wait on edge of seats for the next one and send out the news so fast it’s usually grossly wrong… but they got the “clicks” and ad revenue so who cares…. Media is the gasoline on a what is really a small fire. (Now big because of their fuel)

Real root cause is corporate greed and the stock market. It creates this horrible swirl of stealing everyones money, hiding behind corporate policy, systematically robbing people of their retirements… so much more greed driven issues. that is what backs people into corners to a point where they feel the need to send a message and lash out. Short-sellers, chasing quarterly revenue is the food for the environment we have built that causes mass life hardships…. Instead we should be looking to lift up the poverty level, not give CEO’s bigger paychecks. Taxing them is NOT the answer either, it’s actually fundamentally changing how a company operates to actually do something good for benefit of both company and people, not hit a quarterly financial target at any expense. Chasing the corporate dollar causes all of the other issues in this country to exist. Inflation, poverty, healthcare issues… all traced right back to corporation greed and the stock market. If people had a little more money, couldn’t fall so far out of the tree, had support when they needed it, had access to meaningful employment, could eat, get basic healthcare, take care of their family and life a good life… guarantee these shootings wouldn’t exist. Corporate & stock market reform is where to start.

Lastly, and I hit on it earlier… we need to change what is OK and what crosses a line. People are way too entitled, way to permissive, way to passive, way too many people who don’t matter being able to matter. I am a big fan of bring back the punch in the face to keep out of line people in check, we need to stop accepting people’s delusional and selfish actions and behaviors. Most of these shooters it was known they would do this, there are many indicators but we take no action out of fear of offending. I say BS - some troubled kid is indicating a lash out - intervene instead of watch and wait till it happens. That crazy ass redneck who looks like he hasn’t bathed in 2 years, has disturbing ticks, owns 100 guns who mumbles in grocery stores about China, hell NO take it all away on the spot. Don’t focus on my examples… the core is basically we need to take more direct, quick meaningful action, not sit passive… but we sit passive because direct meaningful action is not socially acceptable so those who would be willing to are oppressed into not taking action. It’s a cycle of ineffectiveness.

The hard part is we are so entrenched that even those willing and wanting to help move forward come off like crazies so its hard to tell us/them apart from the actual lunatics.
Appreciate 3
rebekahb3132.50
Germanauto9704.00
TboneS541043.00
      07-18-2022, 04:47 PM   #13
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Yes. Put it on pay per view and give the millions of dollars it makes to the families!!! Win win. May have more viewers than the super bowl😉
Appreciate 1
tcphoto3537.00
      07-18-2022, 07:45 PM   #14
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Thank God I live in a concealed carry state. I carry wherever I go.
Appreciate 3
Torgus3781.50
      07-18-2022, 10:10 PM   #15
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

There he is

https://twitter.com/investmentshulk/...H0IMC6rk4hjFcA
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 06:53 AM   #16
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Another AR rifle in hands of some psycho.....

Psychos belong locked up in medical facilities, AR automatic rifles shouldn't be sold to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 07:02 AM   #17
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Another AR rifle in hands of some psycho.....

Psychos belong locked up in medical facilities, AR automatic rifles shouldn't be sold to anyone.
AR stands for Armalite rifle not automatic rifle. Do some research on the NFA before you start saying these things are happening with automatic rifles....because they're not.
Appreciate 4
Torgus3781.50
      07-19-2022, 07:04 AM   #18
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 07:21 AM   #19
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
AR stands for Armalite rifle not automatic rifle. Do some research on the NFA before you start saying these things are happening with automatic rifles....because they're not.
I am not a gun person, my main point was that it's sold to pretty much anyone. Never heard of so many psychos running with rifles as in USA
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 08:21 AM   #20
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Of course, everyone hates X until they benefit from X. Another huge problem in this country.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      07-19-2022, 08:32 AM   #21
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
I saw someone break down the law in Indiana. This is how he broke it down.
Any establishment can restrict firearms being present. Carrying a gun into said establishment is not illegal. If the management/owner sees the gun, asks you to leave, and you do not. Then at that point you are breaking the law. The person in question is a valid CCW holder and was carrying a legally obtained handgun. He didn't brandish it while in the establishment and as such was not in violation of any laws as the operators did not ask him to leave.

Because of these nuances, there won't be any charges against him as he was lawfully carrying and following the rules. The operator of the mall could have followed up afterwards and file a complaint that he was carrying in violation of the policy but obviously they're not going to do that.
Appreciate 2
///d1820.00
      07-19-2022, 11:26 AM   #22
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
I didnt hear anything about this one on the news or Fakebook (where I get all my news)

Pretty impressive a 22 yr old CCW took this guy out and no bystanders

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/17/us/in...ing/index.html
All the major news outlets are discussing this shooting including Fox, CNN, NPR, Politico, etc.

Getting your news from Facebook is a large reason why the country is so divided as it is. It is a terrible source of information and the news on social media gets spun even worse than how Fox and CNN spin it. If you want to understand the facts of a news story, you need to read the story from multiple outlets. Even then, you're likely not getting the whole story, but at least you're getting as many alternate views as possible. Trust but verify.

Last edited by XutvJet; 07-19-2022 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 1