New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-15-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Arth
Arth
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 GT3

2010 Z4 3.0 Tt Vs 2009 Cayman S

Well now that we have some specs on what the performancewise of the new Z4 and what its capable of as well as the styling....

which would you you guys go for if money was no object?

The New Z4 3.5 TT or the Cayman S 2009.

I ask this as i am in the market for both these cars and they both arrive to dealers around the same time next year.

some performance figured of the cayman are:
320HP
redlines at 7,500 RPM
0 to 100 in 4.9 secs (4.8 with LC if you have the PDK option)

Thanks in advance.

For reference find below some pics of the face lifted Cayman S
Attached Images

Last edited by Arth; 12-15-2008 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: 3.5
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
jkwhat
Private
Rep
Drives: 750LI

Wow I used to be an avid fan of the new Cayman but after seeing the Z4 I don't think I can ever look at any other car the same...ever again. The Cayman just looks bland and too dull while the Z4 comes off as sharp and highly detailed. Are you one that is for the top down? Will it matter whether a coupe or M is sold?

Edit: wait if money is no object why are you going 3.0 instead of 3.5?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
Arth
Arth
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 GT3

Sorry about that.. meant 3.5.

the Z4 being a convertible doesn't really affect my choice.

Even though i do agree that the Z4 is really beautiful in design its the performance in corners thats getting me worried. It weights around 500lbs more than the cayman S.

Plus in my eyes the cayman S is really quite beautiful too.

Last edited by Arth; 12-15-2008 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Cayman S, hands down.

not only is the new Z4 3.5L a pig in comparison, but its center of gravity is also a major hindrance (hard top convertible = lots of extra weight at the highest point on the car) - body roll will be much more noticeable in the Z4 than the Cayman.

at the end of the day, it really depends on what you're looking for in a car. i would choose the Cayman S in a heartbeat b/c i care more about pure performance than i do about a well-rounded package that includes some performance, some luxury, etc. (even with my daily street driven ride). others however might prefer the all-around package for the streets and save pure performance for the weekends, preferring two separate cars (a Z4 3.5 for the daily, and a Cayman S for a weekend track toy for example).

if having two cars isn't an option, you'll just have to decide for yourself how much performance (OR luxury/comfort) you're willing to sacrifice with your daily ride.
      12-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
jkwhat
Private
Rep
Drives: 750LI

Why not wait and see if there will be a coupe then, should not knock off what 300 pounds? an M version for that matter may add equality to the performance between the two.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Cost no object, and you have to ask?

Have you driven a cayman s before? If not, do so, and ifcost is no object you'll have an easy choice!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
worldmusicguy
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe, Space Gray

I am glad I chose my drive when BMW wereahead, the new design is fantastic, but not something I would love to 'drive' but I admit is great to look at from the front.

As the subject of discussion is hardcore driving, the Cayman S would be my choice if I were to make a decision now based on what’s on offer. The new Z4 in my mind has turned away where the previous Z4 was, i.e. a Cayman competitor in its Coupe version. Whereas the new one is a good marketing exercise that is bound to sell more, as it 'appeals' to more, but in the eyes of an enthusiast, I don’t think so! BMW really came down with this one!!!!

Also, the new Z4 platform is bound to make the M department less interested in turning out a 'real' fun to drive mountain carver, all the weight and all the pomp just killed any signs of ///M spirit for this car!

2007 Z4 M Coupe' | Space Gray
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

I don't quite get it - BMW hasn't had said anything about a coupe or M version, and we already have verdicts that they won't perform well?

IMO, the new Z4 is a great design. While Cayman isn't ugly, in terms of design it's almost a bit too simple, keeping in line with the Porsche lines. That doesn't mean it's bad, but just not as enjoyable to watch. New Z4's interior is also miles ahead.

Performance wise, it's anyone's guess, but my guess is that this BMW will be a great daily driver.
      12-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Tenorino
Rep
Drives: Fred Flintstone Sedan

Doesn't anyone read anything here or at least look at these cars from the company's perspective?? THERE WILL BE NO COUPE or softtop! The new Z with a folding hardtop covers all the bases and saves money! It also answers the upgrades BMW is looking for to match the SLK and to cover a bigger market segment (chicks/hairdressers) with a less hardcore roadster.

As far as Mr. Cayman, these cars are really not that similar. The new Porsche Boxster S will still be a better performing 'sports car' and anyone who knows cars cannot dispute that. The Z has always been a good alternative or second choice due to the high cost of owning a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
nicknickk
Rep
Drives: Mazda mx5 NC

C'mon guys as good as the Cayman is, from some angles its' design is not coherant for example that tail/back is too long. Also the Cayman may be a better track car but for 99% of us/people most driving will be done on the roads, where nazi like police enforce speed rules in the interests of supposed safety. So, I'd choose the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
No contest. New Z4. I've found myself trying to like the Cayman ever since it was introduced, and at this year's LA Auto Show I tried again. The problem with the Cayman is that it just doesn't stir any emotion - it feels like the sports car version of a rental car. From the rear it looks like something Hyundai would dream up - if Hyundai's designs looked like more than out-takes from the work of Summer interns.

By contrast, the New Z4 looks like the first prize entry in the "who can design a modern take on the Z8" contest. Who gives a flying Blogojevich about a Cayman, when you can be pushing the Ultimate Work of Art though a corner!

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #12
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

People, there is no such thing as a 3.5L TT engine for the Z4/3 series. The moniker 335i or sDrive35i refers to the TT version of the BMW I6 3.0L engine. That same engine is used in the sDrive30i and the 328i without the TT.

As mentioned above, there will be no coupé and no M version, at least with the M3 V8 engine. It's simply not fitting in the engine bay.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #13
gshb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow

cayman s. i mean price no object, of course. either gearbox. the replies for the z4 just reinforce what i believe is that the z4 is nothing more than a gt cruiser. i already have a gt cruiser, so...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
Merefield
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshb View Post
cayman s. i mean price no object, of course. either gearbox. the replies for the z4 just reinforce what i believe is that the z4 is nothing more than a gt cruiser. i already have a gt cruiser, so...
I think thats a completely sensible direction for the Z4 as its already a great GT. But I'd hardly phrase it "nothing more than". You might equally say a Ferrari 599 is "nothing more than a gt cruiser" if you were being especially mean!

The Z4, whilst never "heavy" has always had so much luxury kit on it that it could never have been regarded as a raw performance sports car and the lack of a mid-engined configuration was always going to lean it towards entertainment and away from precision. The Z4M Coupe is probably the ultimate compromise, though, if you can live with a permanent roof.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #15
gshb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merefield View Post
I think thats a completely sensible direction for the Z4 as its already a great GT. But I'd hardly phrase it "nothing more than". You might equally say a Ferrari 599 is "nothing more than a gt cruiser" if you were being especially mean!

The Z4, whilst never "heavy" has always had so much luxury kit on it that it could never have been regarded as a raw performance sports car and the lack of a mid-engined configuration was always going to lean it towards entertainment and away from precision. The Z4M Coupe is probably the ultimate compromise, though, if you can live with a permanent roof.
well, more so this generation than the last. i have friends who have 3.0 and 3.0si z4 as their goto track car. it does well, but with this new generation it will be even harder to justify the weight and price (sdrive35i is going to be very expensive). no doubt it will perform better because of the new e9x suspension and tt, but the competition has gotten better too and its hard to say if i would buy this over say the new 370z, the new or even used cayman s, a cheaper 135i, or even a new z51 vette. as a gt cruiser, the new z4 makes much more sense. the interior is probably the best in any bmw to date and it looks great too. just a little disappointed that the ultimate driving machine is now just a great driving machine.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #16
Merefield
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshb View Post
well, more so this generation than the last. i have friends who have 3.0 and 3.0si z4 as their goto track car. it does well, but with this new generation it will be even harder to justify the weight and price (sdrive35i is going to be very expensive). no doubt it will perform better because of the new e9x suspension and tt, but the competition has gotten better too and its hard to say if i would buy this over say the new 370z, the new or even used cayman s, a cheaper 135i, or even a new z51 vette. as a gt cruiser, the new z4 makes much more sense. the interior is probably the best in any bmw to date and it looks great too. just a little disappointed that the ultimate driving machine is now just a great driving machine.
Thats a good point ... question is would you track this new Z4?

I'm thinking you are a lot less likely too than the current gen.

Having said that, in Top Gear, they tracked a van and recently a bunch of buses, but hey, thats Top Gear for you!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #17
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Hmmm... electric power steering, electronic rear brake management, electronic e-brake...

I wonder how numb the driving experience will be on the track.

Therefore I'd choose the Cayman S without a second thought. At least it has a proper handbrake.
      12-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #18
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

If I were buying a car solely for use on the track, i'd go for the Cayman S. The nimble steering and lightweight are boat loads of fun.

But realistically, 99% of us are using our Zs on a daily or nearly daily basis IMO and so for a DD I think the Z will blow away the cayman. Its comfortable when you need it to be, sporty when you need it to be, and that retractable hardtop that add unwanted weight on the track is a massive blessing when used in daily driving conditions. Z4 is the clear winner by far IMO!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:31 AM   #19
Merefield
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
Hmmm... electric power steering, electronic rear brake management, electronic e-brake...

I wonder how numb the driving experience will be on the track.

Therefore I'd choose the Cayman S without a second thought. At least it has a proper handbrake.
Yep, so i hope, as they did with current M, replace the electric steering with hydraulic and in addition replace the e-Brake with a manual one and perhaps even the hard roof with a canvas alternative!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #20
Merefield
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveI View Post
If I were buying a car solely for use on the track, i'd go for the Cayman S. The nimble steering and lightweight are boat loads of fun.

But realistically, 99% of us are using our Zs on a daily or nearly daily basis IMO and so for a DD I think the Z will blow away the cayman. Its comfortable when you need it to be, sporty when you need it to be, and that retractable hardtop that add unwanted weight on the track is a massive blessing when used in daily driving conditions. Z4 is the clear winner by far IMO!
Disagree on hard roof - in my view thats a pure marketing move to compete with rivals. Its purely a conceptual and cosmetic advantage, but in practice I don't find a soft roof an issue ever and certainly has no obvious real disadvantage to a hard roof. In my view it just adds weight and decreases storage. And the Z4 Roadster is meant to be driven top down. In the UK you can do that whenever its not raining! (which is more occasions than you might think!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #21
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDown View Post
No contest. New Z4. I've found myself trying to like the Cayman ever since it was introduced, and at this year's LA Auto Show I tried again. The problem with the Cayman is that it just doesn't stir any emotion - it feels like the sports car version of a rental car. From the rear it looks like something Hyundai would dream up - if Hyundai's designs looked like more than out-takes from the work of Summer interns.

By contrast, the New Z4 looks like the first prize entry in the "who can design a modern take on the Z8" contest. Who gives a flying Blogojevich about a Cayman, when you can be pushing the Ultimate Work of Art though a corner!
i don't know if you're making this assessment based on appearances only (in which case the it is completely objective, much like the opinions in this thread that the Z4 is a better looking car than the Cayman), or if you've actually driven one. but my guess is that, even if you've been behind the wheel of a Cayman S, you haven't really "driven" a Cayman S...otherwise you'd know that it stirs plenty of emotion. personally, i'd rather have a car that performs like a wet dream but isn't perfect with respect to aesthetic design (although that's a subjective quality), than a car that appears perfect (again, a subjective quality) but stirs minimal emotion (or a lack thereof) from behind the wheel.

as far as your comparison between the aesthetics of the Cayman and the new Z4, its apples Vs oranges...of course the Z4 is going to win the "looks like a modern version of the Z8" contest - they're both roadsters, the Cayman is not. if this were a "form follows function" contest, or a "looks most like a real performer/true sports car" contest, the Cayman would win hands down. but again, as objective as it is, this is still an apples vs oranges comparison. the only apples vs apples comparison to be made is to decide which looks "better," and not "which looks more like a roadster" or "which looks more like a sports car." but the problem with this approach is that, now our qualitative assessments become completely subjective (i.e. we'll be doing nothing more than tossing opinions around). there's no way to prove that one really looks better than the other.

so if your assessment about the Cayman not stirring any emotion is based solely on appearances, you should at least clarify that much. i can't imagine you came to that conclusion after driving one though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveI View Post

but you said it yourself - the Z4 is the clear winner if and only if it is going to be daily driven. as likely as it is that the OP is getting a new daily driver, and not a new weekend warrior/track toy, he still hasn't made a 2nd post in this thread informing us of his intentions for this new car. until he specifies what purpose(s) this new car will serve, neither the Z4 nor the Cayman is a clear winner.
      12-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #22
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Cayman S. No brainer.
Appreciate 0