E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > fine scratches after first wash of my jet black e90 :(

05-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci E46/2006 325i E90

fine scratches after first wash of my jet black e90 :(

Bad News, in todays daylight I could see that no matter how careful I was that there are fine scratches and spider webs, not too bad tough but I do see them in the daylight sun. I've attached pics of some of the bad ones. can you guys give me your opinion how I might've gotten these? From the washmit (wool) or the microfiber towel? Do you have to wash a microfiber towel prior to using it? I used the two bucket method also and was very careful in rinsing out the mit after a few panels, then I also changed the rinsing water a few times to ensure it doesn't get too dirty.
seem like no matter what I couldn't done there was no preventing fine scratches? My drying method was to take the microfiber towel and "drag it" like a cape across the body.Man I bummed.

There is one which shows a haze on the passenger rear door, I'm guess some of the stuff might be soap I didn't rinse off completely?

Do you guys suggest bringing it to a detailer to have him examine these? I was going to get a coat of wax and protectant put on the car anyway since it's brand new.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
yu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I'm guessing it's from a dirty mitt. Yes, you're supposed to wash it prior to using it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I rinsed it with water and dunked in a bucket of water prior to using the wool mitt, these seem to be in some choice locations. The hood for example looks great, no real scratches of any level
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Arkansas3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
man that looks like you dragged steel wool over your paint!

i'd get some sort of polish like whatever zaino these guys worship, or klasse AIO and see if that'll take care of it.
      05-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
jkcali2ooo
Generation 2006
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i Jet Black

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
klasse works for me along w/ my buffing machine

2006 Jet Black 330i
Sports, Premium, Rear Sensor, Steptronic
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Well fine stratches happen, esp shows up on black, its normal. THey come out when waxed. I don't go insane about how to wash a car, I use a cotton mit, soap, and use a sham to dry.

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

oh man. How'd you manage that from washing? I noticed you said you used the two bucket method and rinsed the mitt out after every few panels. That's not good enough. You need to rinse the mitt out thoroughly after every panel, or else you will get swirls.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #8
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The more I hear replies from everyone the more I suspect I didn't cause these, because they do look fairly prominent. I seriously don't think I could've caused these type of scratches or haze just by washing ever so lightly with the wool washmit?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #9
Arkansas3
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurribaggio
The more I hear replies from everyone the more I suspect I didn't cause these, because they do look fairly prominent. I seriously don't think I could've caused these type of scratches or haze just by washing ever so lightly with the wool washmit?
i'm no car wash expert, and before my bmw, i had a black honda and had swirls all over it from pure lack of knowledge about how to properly wash a car...but what you've got does not look like swirl marks. they look like scratches. and from what i gather reading these forums, there is a big difference between swirls and scratches.
      05-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #10
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcali2ooo
klasse works for me along w/ my buffing machine

what type of buffing machine do u have
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2006, 10:59 PM   #11
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Are you sure they were not there when you picked up the car???? That fourth picture looks very much like someone buffed the car with a rotary that had a peice of dirt in the pad. The third picture looks like someone got overly agreessive with some compound. There seem to be "scuffs" which are really difficult to put on a car by washing also.

The scratches that you get from washing are "really" fine unless you have som big peice of material stuck in the mitt. An even in that case, the scratches would not look as "organized" as the ones you show in the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2006, 11:25 PM   #12
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo89
Are you sure they were not there when you picked up the car???? That fourth picture looks very much like someone buffed the car with a rotary that had a peice of dirt in the pad. The third picture looks like someone got overly agreessive with some compound. There seem to be "scuffs" which are really difficult to put on a car by washing also.

The scratches that you get from washing are "really" fine unless you have som big peice of material stuck in the mitt. An even in that case, the scratches would not look as "organized" as the ones you show in the pictures.
Those are my thoughts exactly, but would the dealer try and pawn it off as something I did? But I don't even own an rotary buffer. I checked out the car when we picked it up, although it was pouring rain that day and it was overcast, I didn't notice these scratches and haze. Think the dealer could've applied something to the car to hide these?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #13
Arkansas3
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Those are my thoughts exactly, but would the dealer try and pawn it off as something I did? But I don't even own an rotary buffer. I checked out the car when we picked it up, although it was pouring rain that day and it was overcast, I didn't notice these scratches and haze. Think the dealer could've applied something to the car to hide these?
in my experience, when a car is wet, it's hard to see scratches
      05-08-2006, 09:10 AM   #14
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Unless you had some wire mesh caught in your wool mitt or MF towel, that looks pretty uncommon for it to be caused by a regular car wash - even if the mitt was a little dirty.
      05-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #15
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome
Unless you had some wire mesh caught in your wool mitt or MF towel, that looks pretty uncommon for it to be caused by a regular car wash - even if the mitt was a little dirty.
I agree. I don't think anything from a "normal" car wash could cause scratched like that
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 03:11 AM   #16
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I had almost the same thing in my car when I picked it up. My scratches was not quite as visible as yours and they buffed some parts right away at the dealersip. In addition to this they must have used some kind of wax to hide some of the scratches because when I washed the car for the first time properly for waxing it myself some marks in the paint were clearly visible. I complained this immediatelly and got fair restitution.

It is sometimes really hard or impossible to see the defects in the black surface if not in good lighting conditions. In cloudy weather the car may seem to be absolutely perfect but in the direct sunlight scratches are clearly visible. If I were you I'd contact the dealership.

I have to say also that on my opinion it is impossible to keep the jet black swirl free when washing. No matter how carefully you wash it. Well, it is not a big deal. Those small defects can be easily buffed off.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 06:21 PM   #17
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I had almost the same thing in my car when I picked it up. My scratches was not quite as visible as yours and they buffed some parts right away at the dealersip. In addition to this they must have used some kind of wax to hide some of the scratches because when I washed the car for the first time properly for waxing it myself some marks in the paint were clearly visible. I complained this immediatelly and got fair restitution.

It is sometimes really hard or impossible to see the defects in the black surface if not in good lighting conditions. In cloudy weather the car may seem to be absolutely perfect but in the direct sunlight scratches are clearly visible. If I were you I'd contact the dealership.

I have to say also that on my opinion it is impossible to keep the jet black swirl free when washing. No matter how carefully you wash it. Well, it is not a big deal. Those small defects can be easily buffed off.
The bad part is I only saw these marks roughly 1 month after we've had to car already, this was the first chance I got to wash the car.
Think most dealers would give me a hard time? What I want is for the dealer to pay for another detailer which I want to take the car to since I don't really want them touching my car again. I think they should pay because those scratches were there before I bought the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 07:57 PM   #18
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

You know, when most dealers prep cars for delivery they will use a cheap spray wax high in silicone content. This will temporarily hide the damage they did during the 'prep' (I use that word loosely) process. As said by other members above, the damage you showed in your pics can't be from washing, unless you got huge pebbles caught in your mitt and dragged them around the finish during the wash.

If you wanna get rid of them, you will need a PC, good foam pads and a quality polish.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #19
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

Ok for one dealers suck so it would no surprise me that it was there when you got the car!

Two those did not come from washing unless you were doing alot of concentrated washing with alot of pressure with a dirty rag.

Third Where do you park you car at night? Some of this could have just happened from people around you or by accident.

Four That one picture looks like someone put some aggressive compound on you paint and never finished.

I bet most if not all of it will come out!
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 01:04 AM   #20
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsebrklyn
Ok for one dealers suck so it would no surprise me that it was there when you got the car!

Two those did not come from washing unless you were doing alot of concentrated washing with alot of pressure with a dirty rag.

Third Where do you park you car at night? Some of this could have just happened from people around you or by accident.

Four That one picture looks like someone put some aggressive compound on you paint and never finished.

I bet most if not all of it will come out!
Emailed the dealer with these pics, he left me a voicemail saying whoever washed my car probably did that.
I park this car in a garage at night, believe me it's been well taken care of (park super far away in parking lots,etc). I took it to a professional detailer and he too agreed that these marks couldn't have been from washing the car, especially since I told him how I washed the car every so lightly with the wash mit and blotted it dry with a microfiber towel. I know for sure there is no way I could've caused the "haze" which probably came from an orbital polisher he says.
Oh well looks like I have to step it up a notch with the dealer and hold his "5-rating" hostage until this gets taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #21
Arkansas3
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Emailed the dealer with these pics, he left me a voicemail saying whoever washed my car probably did that.
I park this car in a garage at night, believe me it's been well taken care of (park super far away in parking lots,etc). I took it to a professional detailer and he too agreed that these marks couldn't have been from washing the car, especially since I told him how I washed the car every so lightly with the wash mit and blotted it dry with a microfiber towel. I know for sure there is no way I could've caused the "haze" which probably came from an orbital polisher he says.
Oh well looks like I have to step it up a notch with the dealer and hold his "5-rating" hostage until this gets taken care of.
i bet the dealer, just to keep you happy, will pay for a professional detailer to buff those scratches out. it shouldn't really cost that much.
      05-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #22
Jolio99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 xi Metallic Graphite

Sounds like cheap microfiber

In my opinion it looks like you used a cheap microfiber towel. A lot of times these are made with non-cotton products. These other fibers are terrible on your finish... As you already know.

Looking at your photos thats what I think happened.

It sounded like you did everything else just fine. I use good quality 100% cotton bath towels to dry my car. Just make sure you wash them once or twice to get that nasty chemicals they put in them so they stay nice in the store. I have tried to use microfiber before but the quality is just not good enough yet to be sure. Go with a tried and true method.
Appreciate 0