BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Steeplejack - incredible viewing

06-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #1
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Steeplejack - incredible viewing

Over the course of the last six months, I have been addicted to consuming all material, relating to one of Bolton’s most famous sons - steeplejack, steam engine and 19th century engineering expert, Fred Dibnah, MBE.

For anyone outside of the UK, it is highly unlikely that you will have ever heard the name. Fred rose to fame in 1979, with the production of a television documentary about his life as a steeplejack, after initial exposure on a 1978 local news segment.

His warm nature, very special way of articulating his passion for Victorian engineering (in particular for steam engines), along with the unfussed way in which he comports himself at the dizzying heights, 200 feet at the top of a factory chimney, all helped to endear him to the public.

I highly recommend having a look at the first of this YouTube series about his life. The further episodes should follow in sequence, if you get hooked, like me! There are several other series available, but this is a good start. The footage of his life, is incredibly interesting and truly inspiring. I hope you enjoy it

Appreciate 1
      06-06-2022, 03:48 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

If you're into steam engines, Beamish is the place to be.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk359UTA

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2022, 04:07 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

What a guy. Watched his programmes from the beginning. Loved how he got so involved in everything he was featuring... and his unforgettable and often repeated question, "Does it go?"

I've met a few like him in my life and working career. Amazing characters and so down to earth.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2022, 04:29 PM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

"Did ya like that one?"

Legend. Went through a few wives too
Appreciate 1