BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-25-2022, 01:13 PM   #1
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

What are the up-sells?

My car is in production and it looks like I'll be taking possession in a couple of weeks.

I intend to write a check so there should be no need to talk to their finance guy. Nonetheless, I suspect they will insist, so they will have the opportunity to talk me into various extras. I know they have several extended service plans and extended warranties, and will probably talk to me about coatings etc.

Is there anything else? I'll do my research before walking in, so if you guys know of any source that carefully examines the warranty/service options, I am all ears.

Anything you think is worth considering they will offer?

I am in my 60s and have buying cars for MANY DECADES, and I have never faced anything like the learning curve I face here, esp given the fact that the 45e will be my first hybrid. The number of options/settings/quirks on this car seems endless.
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2022, 01:26 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

You definitely will need to talk to the finance guy since that is the position that usually does all of the paperwork. Just say no to everything if they ask.
      04-25-2022, 01:29 PM   #3
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
My car is in production and it looks like I'll be taking possession in a couple of weeks.

I intend to write a check so there should be no need to talk to their finance guy. Nonetheless, I suspect they will insist, so they will have the opportunity to talk me into various extras. I know they have several extended service plans and extended warranties, and will probably talk to me about coatings etc.

Is there anything else? I'll do my research before walking in, so if you guys know of any source that carefully examines the warranty/service options, I am all ears.

Anything you think is worth considering they will offer?

I am in my 60s and have buying cars for MANY DECADES, and I have never faced anything like the learning curve I face here, esp given the fact that the 45e will be my first hybrid. The number of options/settings/quirks on this car seems endless.
You hit the main ones...extended service and warranty packages. The other one would be wheel and tire protection packages.

I think if you look around this board you'll find a wide array of opinions on these items. Extended service packages i think are generally ok...you're essentially pre-paying dealer service at a discount. Extended warranty i think really depends on how much driving and how long you're keeping the car.

Finally, wheel and tire protection packages i think are a rip off. You're basically paying ahead for a what-if scenario.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50
      04-25-2022, 01:31 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Before going to the dealer, give them a call and make sure they will accept your check. We have seen where dealers will only take cashier's checks and some will only take bank wires due to fraud.
cellarrat518.00
      04-25-2022, 02:24 PM   #5
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

There is a guy on bimmerpost called golfRR or something similar. He works for a BMW dealership out of CA, Steve Thomas BMW, I believe. If you message him, he'll give you the contact info of his dealership's finance dept. A quick two line email with your VIN will result in the finance woman (forget her name) sending you quotes for official BMW warranties and, most importantly, the full warranty booklet that explains what is and is not covered. (It was irritatingly difficult to squeeze that out of my finance guy.) Like anything else, dealers are free to adjust warranty prices. This dealership is apparently a volume leader and will have prices ~25% lower (at least in my case) than what my dealer initially offered. If you think you may be interested in an extended warranty, I would start your homework with a message to golfRR.
Appreciate 3
cellarrat518.00
GOLFFRR10835.00
Stoshu494.00
      04-25-2022, 02:37 PM   #6
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

If you already have a bmw and qualify for loyalty, it's 1000 which you need to finance to get. Nothing stops you from sending a check in for the balance right after walking out the door…

One dealer told me I need to buy the protection package and prepaid maintenance. Another said I don't have to buy anything at all. Of course when the car arrives there's nothing stopping them from trying to blackmail me then…
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 02:56 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
There is a guy on bimmerpost called golfRR or something similar. He works for a BMW dealership out of CA, Steve Thomas BMW, I believe. If you message him, he'll give you the contact info of his dealership's finance dept. A quick two line email with your VIN will result in the finance woman (forget her name) sending you quotes for official BMW warranties and, most importantly, the full warranty booklet that explains what is and is not covered. (It was irritatingly difficult to squeeze that out of my finance guy.) Like anything else, dealers are free to adjust warranty prices. This dealership is apparently a volume leader and will have prices ~25% lower (at least in my case) than what my dealer initially offered. If you think you may be interested in an extended warranty, I would start your homework with a message to golfRR.

His name is GOLFFRR and the finance manager there is Christine who can be reached at cnewman@stevethomasbmw.com. I have attached the brochure.

OP - You can buy an extended service contract anytime prior to your warranty expiring.

BMW_Extended_Service_Contract_Brochure.pdf
GOLFFRR10835.00
Vivek.1367.50
      04-25-2022, 03:27 PM   #8
RebelEddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Before going to the dealer, give them a call and make sure they will accept your check. We have seen where dealers will only take cashier's checks and some will only take bank wires due to fraud.
Second this. I asked my dealer if I can bring a check with me to pick up my new X5 and they said they can't accept it due to policy. My client advisor told me they got burned a few years ago and spent 2 years working with collections chasing their money down. Luckily I asked this ahead of time and ended up sending a wire that made it there in time when I arrived to sign the papers. Call the dealer and ask what they accept!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 03:54 PM   #9
cellarrat
Captain
Rep

Fantastic responses, folks. Taking notes. Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 04:05 PM   #10
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
His name is GOLFFRR and the finance manager there is Christine who can be reached at cnewman@stevethomasbmw.com. I have attached the brochure.

OP - You can buy an extended service contract anytime prior to your warranty expiring.

Attachment 2868118
I'll vouch for Steve Thomas BMW and Christine - she helped me with the purchase of a BMW Extended Warranty in December. Great price. I'm in the Bay Area - doing the paperwork remotely was seamless.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10835.00
      04-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #11
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

I had to bring a cashiers check, no personal checks.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:12 PM   #12
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

It's been my experience that everything that happens in the finance office is negotiable. Financing rates, extended warranty, road hazard coverage for wheels and tires, service plans, and car treatments like Zurich shield and the like. Extended warranty plans, road hazard, and to some extent, car treatments I think of like insurance. If I can afford the loss, and I think it's not likely to happen, then I don't buy any of those things.

One thing I'm going to research is what paint treatment and interior protection the dealer offers as an upsell option. I've never bought anything like that in the past and always considered things like "undercoating" and interior stain proofing and thought those things were scams. I recently bought a Machine Gray Metallic Miata with a white leather interior and purchased Zurich Shield for it which was a paint surface treatment and interior protection - and a warranty which I have no idea how good it is and hope to never find out.

The car has a great liquid looking finish on it and it's stayed that way for a year and - so far so good, no blue jeans stains on the white seats.

So, I'll research what they offer at the dealer and what they want for it and compare that with a couple of excellent detailers in my area to do a full ceramic coat on it. Unless they can show me a new car they just treated with it I'll probably pass on that and take it to the detailer.
Appreciate 1
DG-X5168.00
      04-25-2022, 06:40 PM   #13
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Many of them are on the owners website.

https://www.bmwusa.com/financial-ser...n-program.html

Extended Service Contract (Platinum/Gold/Powertrain)
Lease End Protection
GAP
Tire & Wheel
Windshield
Paintless Dent Repair
Key Protection
All Surface Protection

And your specific dealer can add on more. Zurich Shield is a common one around here.

There are some discussion threads about the value of any of these on this forum.
Appreciate 1
cellarrat518.00
      04-26-2022, 09:11 AM   #14
SWBOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon - X5 40i

Could anyone comment as to which level of coverage would include the Air Suspension (or any suspension for that matter) components please?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 10:22 AM   #15
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBOS View Post
Could anyone comment as to which level of coverage would include the Air Suspension (or any suspension for that matter) components please?
According to this brochure, only the platinum level covers suspension work.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...202021_web.pdf
Appreciate 1
SWBOS48.00
      04-26-2022, 10:52 AM   #16
SWBOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon - X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
According to this brochure, only the platinum level covers suspension work.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...202021_web.pdf
WOW! I totally missed that entire line - HA. Thanks for the point out PittsDriver
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 12:32 PM   #17
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Quote:
So, I'll research what they offer at the dealer and what they want for it and compare that with a couple of excellent detailers in my area to do a full ceramic coat on it. Unless they can show me a new car they just treated with it I'll probably pass on that and take it to the detailer.
I'd never have a dealer applied paint/interior protection, the paint work has to be prepared properly before being applied, which they won't do. There have been numerous cases here in the UK where customers have been charged for paint protection and it hasn't even been applied.

You'd be better going to a proper car detailer who will more than likely give your car a single stage polish and a full decontamination before applying a real ceramic coating to the paintwork and wheels. The dealer will just put something on your paintwork to make it look shiny for a few months unlike a proper ceramic coating that if looked after correctly should last year's.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 03:40 PM   #18
Hejusnice
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I bought the paintless (pointless) dent repair. Filed a claim for a dent and was denied because of suspected paint missing. As you can see in the picture they could've removed the dent without causing more harm.

I ended up going with a local dent repair service for $200. Now Im back to a flawless look!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-27-2022, 03:31 PM   #19
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hejusnice View Post
Filed a claim for a dent and was denied because of suspected paint missing.
Wait, what? So you're saying that if you purchase this dent repair coverage and get what looks to me like a standard parking lot ding from another careless person, they'll deny the claim for suspected paint missing!?!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #20
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Wait, what? So you're saying that if you purchase this dent repair coverage and get what looks to me like a standard parking lot ding from another careless person, they'll deny the claim for suspected paint missing!?!
I typed out this exact response and deleted it because I re-read it and thought "tbh that sounds about right". Why would they want to do work when they already have your money and they can make up some reason to not do it
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 04:23 PM   #21
Hejusnice
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hejusnice View Post
Filed a claim for a dent and was denied because of suspected paint missing.
Yes you are correct…as you see someone else fixed my issue!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 11:49 AM   #22
jeannieliv
Private
United_States
Rep

I picked up my X5 45e yesterday and it looks great. Got the list of add-ons with extended warranty, extended service plan, windshield replacement, etc. I declined everything except the XPEL Paint Protection Film ($1,900), which is actually useful for our roads here since they use a lot of sand and rocks during the winter months. The only other thing I was interested in was the interior fabric protection. I have the ivory white vernasca interior. I guess the BMW option comes with 5 years protection against everything, from denim transfer to tears, etc. Will replace the whole cover at no cost if necessary. It's $895. Worthwhile? I also purchased these products for DIY, but haven't used yet and will not use if I go with the BMW option:
https://www.amazon.com/COLOURLOCK-Fr.../dp/B01BCCQWGK
https://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-9.html
https://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html

Thanks for any thoughts!
Appreciate 0