BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

12-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
mrblonde_zx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 JB/RF

Break-in service story

Greetings,

I had my 1200 service done earlier in the week and finally opened it up a couple of days ago. The high revs and this engine is amazing! I think I have spoiled myself and will not be able to own a normal sports car again. I recall someone in the forum saying that 3rd gear can get you in trouble. I must back that sentiment and agree that 3rd gear is amazing. I can't wait to get out on a track.

Just want to share a story about my break in service. The dealership took my car to get the service done (only took about 2 hours to perform apparently) and called me to pick it up. It took about 30 minutes for the oil measurement (this is normal according to the manual) and as soon as I pulled up to my office, it tells me to add a quart. I called up my SA (who is great by the way) told me to drive it around for a couple of days and take more readings to make sure. He was worried that this was the third car in a row that a customer called about needing to add a quart. The car still had the add oil message after a couple of drives so I called for another appointment.

When I pulled up to dealership and told the porter/valet I am there to add more oil, he proceeded to get some bottles of oil, opened the hood and started pouring. He poured one bottle and then was about to add another. I immediately stopped him and told him that I will drive it around and get another measurement. It’s better to be a little under rather than over. As I was driving around the measurement completed and the oil level was at the OK line, so everything is great right? Well, then it hit me: What oil did he put in? I immediately drove back to the dealership and asked the porter/valet what kind of oil he put in the engine. To my dismay he put in 5w-30! I walked in to the service center and grabbed my SA and told him what happened. He shook his head, apologized and immediately asked the shop foreman what the next step was. As it turns out they need to perform another oil change. About 30 minutes later I get the car back with fresh oil (at least I hope so) and the oil level at OK.
Needless to say I have certainly learned a lesson from this experience. Be more attentive to what is being done to the car and never let a dealership porter/valet touch the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

They shouldn't have had a porter putting oil in your car. He or she would have no idea that the M cars have different requirements.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

You would think a $65k car would come with qualified mechanics....

I had a similar story. My oil was low so I stopped by my dealership and they quickly popped the hood and dumped some in before checking to see how low it was first. Shortly after my car read over full. Ended up getting a free oil change out of it cause they had to drain it out and start over. Customer satisfaction survey got all 1's when they called. Followed by a bunch of we're so sorry. Forget being sorry, just teach your mechanics how to work on your cars.
      12-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Wow, why is a valet doing anything besides driving in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
waremark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe DCT

It is a strange feature of the engine that you cannot check the oil level any way other than through the dash. This makes it very easy to have the level too low or too high. I also had to put in a quart soon after the 1,200 oil change.
Appreciate 0