E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Crankshaft sensor code

04-12-2022, 07:00 PM   #1
khernandez
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E90

Crankshaft sensor code

I've been struggling with my car for the past couple days. It started by going into limp mode, while out I would restart the car and it would turn on fine.. At first. Now it stays in limp mode. I checked the codes and ive gotten, 2A94, 2A96, 2A95 and a couple misfires on different cylinders. My nearest BMW dealership is a little distant, so i decided to go to autozone and buy a crankshaft sensor. Simple swap since I have dual cone intakes. It ran for about 30 min and then went into limp mode again. I heard about bad sensors not being OEM. So i went to NAPA auto parts and got a different brand. also not oem. This time it still hasn't turned on. I got a voltmeter and I tested the sensor and it seems to read a metal object near it, and it drops from 5V to 0v. but it doesn't seem to work in the car. I don't know if I should cash out and make my way to the dealer to get the actual OEM part. or is there anything else that could be causing this?

This are my current codes that I read with the MHD app. I think the two battery ones are because I went to tune the car back to stock and I thought the battery was charging when it wasn't. So It caused it to get low. but this was after the fact and the codes 2DEC and 2ACC(ithink) popped up after the battery died.

View post on imgur.com

Previous and past Codes
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 07:18 PM   #2
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

I would start with an OE crankshaft position sensor from like FCP Euro as autocrap and the napa parts that are now crap should definitely not be used whenever possible.

Also make sure the sensor is being properly inserted all the way and that the old sensor didn't leave its old gasket/o-ring behind because that appears to be a common issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 02:18 PM   #3
khernandez
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
I would start with an OE crankshaft position sensor from like FCP Euro as autocrap and the napa parts that are now crap should definitely not be used whenever possible.

Also make sure the sensor is being properly inserted all the way and that the old sensor didn't leave its old gasket/o-ring behind because that appears to be a common issue.
UPDATE: Yeah should’ve listened to everyone from the start. I ordered the oem part from fcp and it instantly fixed everything. been driving it for a couple days. drives perfect
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 09:53 PM   #4
e82Oscarjr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 e82 135i 07 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post

Very late to this thread but I was having issues with my sensors and before I got the chance to replace them I got code 2acc same as op and I replaced the sensors with auto zone parts and the code stayed but after seeing this I ordered hem ones but could the bad sensor have caused 2acc and then stayed when I replaced them with the crap ones?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 10:34 AM   #5
xuzax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 335xi

You need to clear codes after replacement or you may see no difference in the car
Appreciate 0