BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    20 Best Dolby Atmos Films To Put Your System To The Test

04-10-2022, 05:53 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb 20 Best Dolby Atmos Films To Put Your System To The Test

I have watched all of these on the list and they are all worth your viewing.

https://www.whathifi.com/features/th...s-movie-scenes

04-11-2022, 09:54 AM   #2
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Watched Dune the other night. Wild movie.
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13851.00
c1pher4671.50
      04-11-2022, 11:32 AM   #3
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

^ Agreed, just need to wait for the next two movies it will take to finish telling the full story of the first book!!
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13851.00
      04-11-2022, 12:02 PM   #4
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Watched Dune the other night. Wild movie.
Super movie experience.
      04-11-2022, 01:42 PM   #5
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Nice list I saw many already.

But one note on atmos systems, lately I found a LOT of people 'investing' in sourround system and running them in 2.0ch.

Most people thinks that they can buy a receiver and 8+++ speakers, plug it and forget it.

Most reputable mid-range brand : yamaha, onkyo, pioneer, denon, etc require adjustment.

- starting with A/V source : Can it handle atmos, true HD7.1, dts, etc.?

And testing this time to times, help to make sure your settings are ok :
https://www.demolandia.net/cinema/do...hd/page-8.html

- testing it with an HTPC on win10 is easier, since it can handle prettymuch any format.

most people are using ARC on a smart TV and youtube, netflix, and turn out they are sending 2.0ch audio signal, but their receiver are on surround decoding or ProLogic decoding multi-channel simulation. They might be happy with it, but not the as per the movie director envision .

- So direct multichannel preset is required, so your amp will get into the correct mode from the source file.

I did test few movie in TrueHD 7.1 and Atmos, and found out I like more trueHD/DTS since the channels streams are managed by human most of the time, and atmos is simulated , so you can theoretically get 128 channels from a single atmos audio file.

What I do , is checking the audio format with VLC or other software, and then put my amp to the best pre-set. If I got 5.1 or less, I put it on 'surround decoding' mode, if atmos or 7.1, 'direct multichannel' mode.

Music movie or something like JackAss movie, I like 2x stereo mode.

Last edited by oVeRdOsE.; 04-11-2022 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #6
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

My friend had a sick home system and the scene from The Matrix with the gun fight and you thought you were getting hit….that was fun
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2022, 11:41 AM   #7
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
I would think some of the war films to be real good. Apocalypse now, saving Private Ryan, platoon.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 12:21 PM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
I would think some of the war films to be real good. Apocalypse now, saving Private Ryan, platoon.
But would old films have the newer fancy atmos etc audio encoding? I'm guessing unless they have been remastered or something it would be 5.1 at best. I know on Netflix and such each movie is labeled "atmos" or "5.1".
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
Nice list I saw many already.

But one note on atmos systems, lately I found a LOT of people 'investing' in sourround system and running them in 2.0ch.

Most people thinks that they can buy a receiver and 8+++ speakers, plug it and forget it.

Most reputable mid-range brand : yamaha, onkyo, pioneer, denon, etc require adjustment.

- starting with A/V source : Can it handle atmos, true HD7.1, dts, etc.?

And testing this time to times, help to make sure your settings are ok :
https://www.demolandia.net/cinema/do...hd/page-8.html

- testing it with an HTPC on win10 is easier, since it can handle prettymuch any format.

most people are using ARC on a smart TV and youtube, netflix, and turn out they are sending 2.0ch audio signal, but their receiver are on surround decoding or ProLogic decoding multi-channel simulation. They might be happy with it, but not the as per the movie director envision .

- So direct multichannel preset is required, so your amp will get into the correct mode from the source file.

I did test few movie in TrueHD 7.1 and Atmos, and found out I like more trueHD/DTS since the channels streams are managed by human most of the time, and atmos is simulated , so you can theoretically get 128 channels from a single atmos audio file.

What I do , is checking the audio format with VLC or other software, and then put my amp to the best pre-set. If I got 5.1 or less, I put it on 'surround decoding' mode, if atmos or 7.1, 'direct multichannel' mode.

Music movie or something like JackAss movie, I like 2x stereo mode.
I had the opportunity to experience Atmos with the home system of the owner of a pretty well known speaker brand. Even with the pedigree this should have brought to the table, I was not impressed. My lowly 5.2 system to me still beats out many 7.1/Atmos systems. I run the high res audio codecs into my Meridian processor. When there isn't a discrete multichannel codec from the source material, I use Trifield.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 01:29 PM   #10
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

you need to try it with your own setup, one thing for sure, sound system are super subjective. Some likes highs, other med, and most people like super bassy sound.

The comparison need to be done on the same video; same movie or same test audio file. Atmos is simply more convenient when you are in the 7.1 and more range. I'm waiting to have more choice on the market, but my amp is capable of 9.2. So I can arrange something like 7.2.1.

Also dB levels and delay are easy to setup with simply a phone db meter and a measurement tape.

- getting the right speaker distance in the amp setting, make sure the speaker a firing up at the right moment

- db, no need to get a precise measurement, only to have equal db on the sound test.

these 2 steps make a difference.

I like vintage speaker, so I have vintage speaker on a new amplifer. And the sub is over powered to my taste, and I added one extra sub 2 weeks ago next to my saufa, @40hz, so it act like a shaker/exciter, love it.

then for the total experience, you need acoustic everything : wall, ceiling , floor.

On my experience, my atmos files were not as punchy to my 7.1 multichannel. And I wont increase db to my surround speaker only for atmos files. I have to many 2.0 and 5.1 on my plex, and only few atmos
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 06:01 PM   #11
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Actually Netflix's F1 drive to survive has some really nice use of atmos wide speakers.

I run a 9.1.4 system that is pseudo 9.1.6 with the top 4 channels expanded to 6 using dolby pro logic on each side.

IMO the wide speakers make a big difference when the content supports them.

The best "test" is the dolby atmos demo disk. There is a version of it streaming on Vudu for free but there is also a newer one out there that has even more demos and content.

-Rich
      04-12-2022, 06:51 PM   #12
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I have a Denon AVR S760H 7.2ch receiver with a set of Klipsch Reference atmos speakers and sub at the house in FL. I think it sounds pretty good. I took my old speakers Polks 70 series (I believe) and my old onkyo receiver (not atmos) to the house in NC and set them up there. I THINK the setup in FL sounds better as far as "surround". I feel the FL setup makes things sound like they are coming from the rear and what not a lot more than the NC setup. However I'm not sure if that is because of the speakers, receiver or the general layout. I don't get very technical and just use the built in software to calibrate the system.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 10:10 PM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
you need to try it with your own setup, one thing for sure, sound system are super subjective. Some likes highs, other med, and most people like super bassy sound.

The comparison need to be done on the same video; same movie or same test audio file. Atmos is simply more convenient when you are in the 7.1 and more range. I'm waiting to have more choice on the market, but my amp is capable of 9.2. So I can arrange something like 7.2.1.

Also dB levels and delay are easy to setup with simply a phone db meter and a measurement tape.

- getting the right speaker distance in the amp setting, make sure the speaker a firing up at the right moment

- db, no need to get a precise measurement, only to have equal db on the sound test.

these 2 steps make a difference.

I like vintage speaker, so I have vintage speaker on a new amplifer. And the sub is over powered to my taste, and I added one extra sub 2 weeks ago next to my saufa, @40hz, so it act like a shaker/exciter, love it.

then for the total experience, you need acoustic everything : wall, ceiling , floor.

On my experience, my atmos files were not as punchy to my 7.1 multichannel. And I wont increase db to my surround speaker only for atmos files. I have to many 2.0 and 5.1 on my plex, and only few atmos
I did use the same source material in my system as what he played in his. Regardless, the source material was played on his system first. To me it was not natural and too synthesized and that's before hearing the same source material on my system.

I'm fully aware of proper system set up. My surround processor requires a laptop with specific software from Meridian to program the processor. I also use a dB meter to get things dialed in.

It's not a full frequency measurement, but this shows I have the system and room dialed in pretty well:

Name:  215697_1027531341461_4809_n.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  43.4 KB

I also have acoustical treatments through out my room and my speakers are properly placed. My speakers are also exactly voice matched as they're the same speakers across all channels. The only one that's a bit different is the center channel. It uses the exact same drivers as the mains and surrounds, but they're oriented horizontally. The center is also sealed and not ported like the other channels. But the center is placed at a height where it is at the same horizontal plane as the mains.
Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.2710.00
      04-13-2022, 04:37 AM   #14
aguywalksintoabar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 09:03 PM   #15
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

A home theater that I am truly jealous and inspired by...

Appreciate 0