BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Aftermarket Performance Intake Issues?

04-09-2022, 02:06 PM   #1
HSM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C / 77 Dodge Power Wagon

Aftermarket Performance Intake Issues?

Apologies upfront if this had been discussed before..

Has anyone ever had any issues or engine/turbo problems after installing aftermarket performance intakes?

I'm reading that it isn't good for the engine and turbos' longevity (the filters aren't as good as the OEM paper filters). If I'll be installing them it'll be for the intake noises only, I'm not after any power gains, don't even think they do much in terms of adding power.

Also, if it's all pretty much the same design and materials, I think they're all aluminum, (VRSF, MST, Burger Motorsports) other than a heat shield box on the MST, why the huge difference in prices ($280, $675, $480 respectively)? Is that just because of branding or does it have to do with fitment and other factors too?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 02:41 PM   #2
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]

Has anyone ever had any issues or engine/turbo problems after installing aftermarket performance intakes?

I'm reading that it isn't good for the engine and turbos' longevity (the filters aren't as good as the OEM paper filters). If I'll be installing them it'll be for the intake noises only, I'm not after any power gains, don't even think they do much in terms of adding power.

Also, if it's all pretty much the same design and materials, I think they're all aluminum, (VRSF, MST, Burger Motorsports) other than a heat shield box on the MST, why the huge difference in prices ($280, $675, $480 respectively)? Is that just because of branding or does it have to do with fitment and other factors too?

You will hear different opinions regarding mechanical wear and tear using aftermarket filters. IMHO if you keep the reusable ones clean and don't plan on keeping the car 200K + miles you're not going have to worry about it.

I have been using Dry air filters in my cars for about 15 years now. Oiled filters are tougher to re-oil w/o worrying about MAFS sensor issues, etc.

Since the S55 does not benefit from intake mods I run Dry air aftermarket in my OEM air boxes with the Charcoal filter removed as well. I change my oil every 5K miles but clean the filters every 10K. At 50K I replace the filters with a fresh set.

If you need the under hood eye candy, and want to hear some intake noise by all means go that route. For me its a waste of $'s that can be used on other items with a better ROI.

HTH,
HAZMAT
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2022, 04:24 PM   #3
HSM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C / 77 Dodge Power Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post

You will hear different opinions regarding mechanical wear and tear using aftermarket filters. IMHO if you keep the reusable ones clean and don't plan on keeping the car 200K + miles you're not going have to worry about it.

I have been using Dry air filters in my cars for about 15 years now. Oiled filters are tougher to re-oil w/o worrying about MAFS sensor issues, etc.

Since the S55 does not benefit from intake mods I run Dry air aftermarket in my OEM air boxes with the Charcoal filter removed as well. I change my oil every 5K miles but clean the filters every 10K. At 50K I replace the filters with a fresh set.

If you need the under hood eye candy, and want to hear some intake noise by all means go that route. For me its a waste of $'s that can be used on other items with a better ROI.

HTH,
HAZMAT
I appreciate you sharing your experience with air filters.

I'm definitely not after under hood eye candy, as I also think it's a waste of money and the money could be spent elsewhere.

I'm after intake noises, but not at the expense of engine and turbos' longevity. I don't track my car at all, and I'm changing my oil every 5k miles too.

Do you know if the filters (VRSP, MST and Burger Motorsports) use are the ones that need oiling? And what why would I worry about MAF sensor issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 08:45 AM   #4
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
When shopping check the air filters to see if the dry or oiled..

If you go the oiled way then you have to worry about over oiling the filters. If you do you run the risk of the excess oil mucking up your MAFS's...

I use these : http://x-ph.com/afe-power-magnum-flo...2-competition/

Obviously the dry optioned ones
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
HSM2C17.00
      04-11-2022, 05:58 PM   #5
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

I use the aFe dry filters too without issue. I ran it on my previous 335is as well for 7yrs.

The Pros are...
  • Uses the stock air intake which IMO better insulates the intake air from engine heat than most aftermarket intake systems.
  • The dry filters provide better cfm airflow than stock filters.
  • As pointed out, by not being an oiled filter there's zero chance to harm the MAF sensor. Also no chance of getting carbon build up on your valves.
  • Doesn't cost as much as a CAI and in most cases outperforms them.
  • Also as mentioned, the dry filters are washable and reusable. I just use the stock filters for a day while air drying the aFe after a wash.
  • The intake noise is negligently louder with the dry filter over stock, but not as loud as a CAI since they tend to be wide open which sucks in hot air defeating their purpose.
As long as you have quality filters is all that matters.
Appreciate 1
HSM2C17.00