E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Tri-Stitched M3 - Mod to Step

12-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
jlwM3
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 335 Coupe, Dinan Stage3

Tri-Stitched M3 - Mod to Step

Here's a thought. I've been watching several threads where someone has taken the time to document his process in modifying a tri-stitch, M3 wheel to accommodate Step paddles. In theory his second one should take less time, and by his 4th or 5th, he'd be a regular pro. No defects, steep learning curves, etc. I would pay a premium if some entrepreneurial soul would set up shop doing this. Anybody out there like to take that on?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Barmats
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

I guess that was me... Honestly, the first one didn't take very much time, and although the second, third and fourth would probably go more quickly, the only difficult part was getting past the worry of cutting such an expensive wheel. But since it's on the back, even a major disaster wouldn't be visible. And, in the end, I ditched the step paddles and went with the DCT paddles, anyway.

I suppose there's a small demand for this type of work, but if you're at all handy, it's really quite an easy job. I'd be happy to go over the details of exactly what it involved, if you'd like. It was surprisingly easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
jlwM3
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 335 Coupe, Dinan Stage3

Thanks for the quick reply Barmats. I can only imagine what that first cut with the exacto musta' felt like on that nice leather. Have you gotten used to the right=up, left=down logic? If I take the plunge, I'll be back in touch. You could be a guru and not even know it!! Thanks again.
J

QUOTE=Barmats;3755477]I guess that was me... Honestly, the first one didn't take very much time, and although the second, third and fourth would probably go more quickly, the only difficult part was getting past the worry of cutting such an expensive wheel. But since it's on the back, even a major disaster wouldn't be visible. And, in the end, I ditched the step paddles and went with the DCT paddles, anyway.

I suppose there's a small demand for this type of work, but if you're at all handy, it's really quite an easy job. I'd be happy to go over the details of exactly what it involved, if you'd like. It was surprisingly easy.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Barmats
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Actually, the part that you cut on the back of the wheel is soft rubber, and a sharp knife slices through it quite easily. As for the right-up & left-down shifting, it took me a day to get used to it, and now I simply cannot imagine it being any other way. Even after driving with the step paddles for over a year, I would still occasionally downshift by pushing by accident, thinking I was going for an upshift. It's because I would change hands for up and downshifting, and never settled into a solid pattern. With the DCT setup, you learn it quickly and it sticks.

Back to cutting the M3 wheel for the step paddles... if I had to do it again, I'd do it differently. There's quite a bit of "give" in the rubber on the back of the wheel, and I ended up removing a little too much material (not that it matters).
Appreciate 0