E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > claybar

05-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
claybar

So I read DavidN's detailing thread and it was very helpful (I haven't actually done anything yet, but I will surely be referring to it). Thus far I've had my car for 3 months and have washed it every week and waxed it with carnuba once back when I first got it.

I think I'm ready to try Zaino but I have a question or two about the clay process.

1) When you clay, how do you know when the bar is "dirty" enough? Everyone says to reshape it when it's dirty but how do I exactly know when that is. I don't want to be too anal as to waste clay but I definitely don't want to scratch my car.

2) So I use the spray bottle and a dilute car wash mix to lubricate while I clay - when I'm done - do I have to rewash the car or can I just rinse it off before I start the Zaino? Do I rinse off as I clay each section or do I clay the whole car first, then rinse?

I know these questions sound anal but I'm a n00b at this detailing thing so I don't want to screw anything up and cause swirls. I already swirled up a small 2x2 section on my side trunk panel because I wiped it in the sun after a wash with a MF towel. It's a tiny tiny swirl but it still bothers the heck out of me.

Thanks in advance!
      05-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome
So I read DavidN's detailing thread and it was very helpful (I haven't actually done anything yet, but I will surely be referring to it). Thus far I've had my car for 3 months and have washed it every week and waxed it with carnuba once back when I first got it.

I think I'm ready to try Zaino but I have a question or two about the clay process.

1) When you clay, how do you know when the bar is "dirty" enough? Everyone says to reshape it when it's dirty but how do I exactly know when that is. I don't want to be too anal as to waste clay but I definitely don't want to scratch my car.

2) So I use the spray bottle and a dilute car wash mix to lubricate while I clay - when I'm done - do I have to rewash the car or can I just rinse it off before I start the Zaino? Do I rinse off as I clay each section or do I clay the whole car first, then rinse?

I know these questions sound anal but I'm a n00b at this detailing thing so I don't want to screw anything up and cause swirls. I already swirled up a small 2x2 section on my side trunk panel because I wiped it in the sun after a wash with a MF towel. It's a tiny tiny swirl but it still bothers the heck out of me.

Thanks in advance!
Perfectly normal questions. I'll add them to the FAQ one of these days.

1. To be safe, reshape the bar after each section (ex. half the hood, half the roof, one door, etc). As you clay more and more you will get a better feel and can reshape when you think it is needed.

2. If you dry the diluted car wash off your paint with a towel after you finish claying each section, then no you do not need to wash. However, if you clay the whole car and do not dry the diluted wash off as each section as you complete it, then you will need to wash the car after to get it off.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
dejav0o
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG 330i

To add to David's comments.... you'll know the claybar is dirty if you look on the bottom and see black specks.... I did my previous car for the first time a few months ago and it was pretty obvious that it was picking up grime.

Just be safe and reshape often.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
Arkansas3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I am thinking about claying my car for the first time too but don't wanna order it on the internet. Can I buy it locally?

I live in Arkansas--we don't have much in the way of fancy car care places. Will WalMart or Target or AutoZone have clay?
      05-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
yu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

AutoZone will have it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #6
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas3
I am thinking about claying my car for the first time too but don't wanna order it on the internet. Can I buy it locally?

I live in Arkansas--we don't have much in the way of fancy car care places. Will WalMart or Target or AutoZone have clay?
All of them should have clay magic or mothers
Appreciate 0