BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    The Smoking Tire reviews the M5 CS

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-14-2022, 08:13 PM   #1
Neptune7
Major
1172
Rep
1,267
Posts

Drives: M5 CS
Join Date: May 2018
Location: N/A

iTrader: (0)

The Smoking Tire reviews the M5 CS

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Enjoy.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 09:15 PM   #2
Phiberoptik
Lieutenant
United_States
116
Rep
486
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M235i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

What are dealers markup these days on the M5 CS? $50K? $40K?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 09:57 PM   #3
asmazda
Private First Class
asmazda's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: F90 M5 CS
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

$50-100K, at least in California that seems to be situation
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 09:30 AM   #4
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
179
Rep
589
Posts

Drives: '22 M5 CS
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Granger, IN

iTrader: (1)

Matt (the big guy if thatís not his name) doesnít like the seats . Thatís a gamble I think weíve all decided to take. I might hate them tooÖ.

As Iíve said before, would love to get the 5 Blackwing but just donít have the garage space. For a non daily, Iíd pick the CS over the BW, at least based off my off hands experiences and biases.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #5
soulsea
Private First Class
United_States
122
Rep
103
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Comp
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

For anyone who might care about such things ...

As some may recall I had a 19 M5C, and at that time it was my favorite sedan of all time and I enjoyed it a lot more than the 18 E63S that preceded it.

I will however tell you that my current 5BW is a much more enjoyable and engaging car to drive than the M5C was, and even if the M5CS were twice as fun as my M5C, it still wouldn't be half as fun as the 5BW.

Because of electrics straight line speed has been democratized to the degree that a 3sec car isn't a special thing any more. Heck in a few years a Camry with four electric motors will be a 3sec car. So that means very little to me. And I'm not looking to track a sedan, I have other more appropriate cars for that.

So on a daily basis rowing through the gears of a 650+ hp/tq RWD car on the way to Trader Joe's and back is insanely gratifying ... sometimes in comfort mode sometimes in '2008 CLK BS TC off car wants to kill me' mode.

Plus it saddens me how muted the CS exhaust sounds compared to my 19 M5C, and with back problems the seat is an issue for me in daily driving.

Honestly, I'd pick the 5BW over the M5CS even if the prices were the other way around.

Again, I loved my M5C, but imagine the hysteria if BMW had done a 'purist' manual M5C ... you'd be looking at GT3 Touring level markups because of the insane demand.

Congrats to those who got a CS allocation, it is obviously an epic sedan, just not the one I wanted.



__________________
cars
Appreciate 16
Neptune71172.00
BMWM5NYC475.00
euro*1619.50
Egrunt448.00
krm339.50
stein_325i23529.50
XMetal953.50
joeyb26246.00
cbertels1113.50
jmack123954.50
Namelss464.50
10"3885.00
Poochie9049.50
spuntyb3563.50
      03-15-2022, 08:00 PM   #6
BMWM5NYC
Captain
BMWM5NYC's Avatar
475
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
For anyone who might care about such things ...

As some may recall I had a 19 M5C, and at that time it was my favorite sedan of all time and I enjoyed it a lot more than the 18 E63S that preceded it.

I will however tell you that my current 5BW is a much more enjoyable and engaging car to drive than the M5C was, and even if the M5CS were twice as fun as my M5C, it still wouldn't be half as fun as the 5BW.

Because of electrics straight line speed has been democratized to the degree that a 3sec car isn't a special thing any more. Heck in a few years a Camry with four electric motors will be a 3sec car. So that means very little to me. And I'm not looking to track a sedan, I have other more appropriate cars for that.

So on a daily basis rowing through the gears of a 650+ hp/tq RWD car on the way to Trader Joe's and back is insanely gratifying ... sometimes in comfort mode sometimes in '2008 CLK BS TC off car wants to kill me' mode.

Plus it saddens me how muted the CS exhaust sounds compared to my 19 M5C, and with back problems the seat is an issue for me in daily driving.

Honestly, I'd pick the 5BW over the M5CS even if the prices were the other way around.

Again, I loved my M5C, but imagine the hysteria if BMW had done a 'purist' manual M5C ... you'd be looking at GT3 Touring level markups because of the insane demand.

Congrats to those who got a CS allocation, it is obviously an epic sedan, just not the one I wanted.



That is a SWEEEEET ride.
__________________
Formally known as BMWM3NYC
Appreciate 1
soulsea121.50
      03-15-2022, 10:27 PM   #7
micvite
Major
812
Rep
1,325
Posts

Drives: 2009 mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
For anyone who might care about such things ...

As some may recall I had a 19 M5C, and at that time it was my favorite sedan of all time and I enjoyed it a lot more than the 18 E63S that preceded it.

I will however tell you that my current 5BW is a much more enjoyable and engaging car to drive than the M5C was, and even if the M5CS were twice as fun as my M5C, it still wouldn't be half as fun as the 5BW.

Because of electrics straight line speed has been democratized to the degree that a 3sec car isn't a special thing any more. Heck in a few years a Camry with four electric motors will be a 3sec car. So that means very little to me. And I'm not looking to track a sedan, I have other more appropriate cars for that.

So on a daily basis rowing through the gears of a 650+ hp/tq RWD car on the way to Trader Joe's and back is insanely gratifying ... sometimes in comfort mode sometimes in '2008 CLK BS TC off car wants to kill me' mode.

Plus it saddens me how muted the CS exhaust sounds compared to my 19 M5C, and with back problems the seat is an issue for me in daily driving.

Honestly, I'd pick the 5BW over the M5CS even if the prices were the other way around.

Again, I loved my M5C, but imagine the hysteria if BMW had done a 'purist' manual M5C ... you'd be looking at GT3 Touring level markups because of the insane demand.

Congrats to those who got a CS allocation, it is obviously an epic sedan, just not the one I wanted.



NICE! Sadly for me I don't really like how manual sedans feel to drive, and I just feel like anything over 500hp is just too much to be able to easily put it down to just the rears, and even then it's a challenge haha. I usually like a far back seating position in my manual cars, I tend to drive with the clutch pedal fully depressed with a locked knee lol or just abouts which makes getting in and out of a sedan a pain for me, coupes and verts are the way to go with the HUGE ass doors lolol
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #8
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
MachinesWithSouls's Avatar
United_States
4717
Rep
2,406
Posts

Drives: 2022 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

If anyone wonders how it compares to the M2 CS and G80…

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...0-m3-vs-m5-cs/
__________________
I review cars!
@MachinesWithSouls

2022 M3 6MT - Portimao Blue Metallic
2022 X3 M40i - Tanzanite Blue Metallic
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2022, 02:53 PM   #9
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
Day Laborer's Avatar
United_States
1476
Rep
1,713
Posts

Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY, NY, CT, PA, MD, VA, DE, FL

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
If anyone wonders how it compares to the M2 CS and G80…

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...0-m3-vs-m5-cs/
"The disconnected feel of the regular M5 (and the M3) still exists"

How did you come to this conclusion without driving it ?
__________________
http://www.precisionmedals.com/charts1/car.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/day_laborer/ (DM me from this account)
Email: nextlevelautobrokersdc@gmail.com
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 02:55 PM   #10
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
MachinesWithSouls's Avatar
United_States
4717
Rep
2,406
Posts

Drives: 2022 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
If anyone wonders how it compares to the M2 CS and G80…

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...0-m3-vs-m5-cs/
"There are a few niggles. The disconnected feel of the regular M5 (and the M3) still exists"

How did you come to this conclusion without driving it ?
Who says I never drove it…?
__________________
I review cars!
@MachinesWithSouls

2022 M3 6MT - Portimao Blue Metallic
2022 X3 M40i - Tanzanite Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 03:02 PM   #11
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
Day Laborer's Avatar
United_States
1476
Rep
1,713
Posts

Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY, NY, CT, PA, MD, VA, DE, FL

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
If anyone wonders how it compares to the M2 CS and G80…

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...0-m3-vs-m5-cs/
"There are a few niggles. The disconnected feel of the regular M5 (and the M3) still exists"

How did you come to this conclusion without driving it ?
Who says I never drove it…?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
If anyone wonders how it compares to the M2 CS and G80…

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...0-m3-vs-m5-cs/
"There are a few niggles. The disconnected feel of the regular M5 (and the M3) still exists"

How did you come to this conclusion without driving it ?
Who says I never drove it…?
The owner of the m5 CS - trackday fanatic

Not trying to be an ass.. but i asked him about it when your article first came out because I follow your content on IG.
__________________
http://www.precisionmedals.com/charts1/car.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/day_laborer/ (DM me from this account)
Email: nextlevelautobrokersdc@gmail.com
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 03:05 PM   #12
Nikolai Roskov
Lieutenant
Nikolai Roskov's Avatar
115
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 Bmw M3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Enjoyed
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 03:10 PM   #13
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
MachinesWithSouls's Avatar
United_States
4717
Rep
2,406
Posts

Drives: 2022 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
If anyone wonders how it compares to the M2 CS and G80…

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...0-m3-vs-m5-cs/
"There are a few niggles. The disconnected feel of the regular M5 (and the M3) still exists"

How did you come to this conclusion without driving it ?
Who says I never drove it…?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
If anyone wonders how it compares to the M2 CS and G80…

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...0-m3-vs-m5-cs/
"There are a few niggles. The disconnected feel of the regular M5 (and the M3) still exists"

How did you come to this conclusion without driving it ?
Who says I never drove it…?
The owner of the m5 CS - trackday fanatic
Where does it say I drove his specifically?

Didn't drive the M3s (aside from mine) shot here that day either:

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...s-the-best-m3/
__________________
I review cars!
@MachinesWithSouls

2022 M3 6MT - Portimao Blue Metallic
2022 X3 M40i - Tanzanite Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 03:13 PM   #14
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
stein_325i's Avatar
No_Country
23530
Rep
8,532
Posts

Drives: A Car
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: All-Around

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
For anyone who might care about such things ...

As some may recall I had a 19 M5C, and at that time it was my favorite sedan of all time and I enjoyed it a lot more than the 18 E63S that preceded it.

I will however tell you that my current 5BW is a much more enjoyable and engaging car to drive than the M5C was, and even if the M5CS were twice as fun as my M5C, it still wouldn't be half as fun as the 5BW.

Because of electrics straight line speed has been democratized to the degree that a 3sec car isn't a special thing any more. Heck in a few years a Camry with four electric motors will be a 3sec car. So that means very little to me. And I'm not looking to track a sedan, I have other more appropriate cars for that.

So on a daily basis rowing through the gears of a 650+ hp/tq RWD car on the way to Trader Joe's and back is insanely gratifying ... sometimes in comfort mode sometimes in '2008 CLK BS TC off car wants to kill me' mode.

Plus it saddens me how muted the CS exhaust sounds compared to my 19 M5C, and with back problems the seat is an issue for me in daily driving.

Honestly, I'd pick the 5BW over the M5CS even if the prices were the other way around.

Again, I loved my M5C, but imagine the hysteria if BMW had done a 'purist' manual M5C ... you'd be looking at GT3 Touring level markups because of the insane demand.

Congrats to those who got a CS allocation, it is obviously an epic sedan, just not the one I wanted.
That thing looks mean! And thank goodness you got the manual too. She's a beast, enjoy it!
__________________
Current Garage: 2022 Mercedes-Benz S 580 / 2023 Genesis GV70 2.5T / 2007 Mercedes-Benz E 350 / 1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Retired: '95 E36 325i 5MT / '04 E46 330i 6MT / '05 E83 X3 3.0i / '11 E90 335xi / '17 G30 540i / '19 F87 M2C 6MT / '19 MB CLS 53 / '20 MB GLC 300
Appreciate 1
soulsea121.50
      03-16-2022, 04:17 PM   #15
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
Day Laborer's Avatar
United_States
1476
Rep
1,713
Posts

Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY, NY, CT, PA, MD, VA, DE, FL

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
If anyone wonders how it compares to the M2 CS and G80…

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...0-m3-vs-m5-cs/
"There are a few niggles. The disconnected feel of the regular M5 (and the M3) still exists"

How did you come to this conclusion without driving it ?
Who says I never drove it…?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
If anyone wonders how it compares to the M2 CS and G80…

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...0-m3-vs-m5-cs/
"There are a few niggles. The disconnected feel of the regular M5 (and the M3) still exists"

How did you come to this conclusion without driving it ?
Who says I never drove it…?
The owner of the m5 CS - trackday fanatic
Where does it say I drove his specifically?

Didn't drive the M3s (aside from mine) shot here that day either:

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...s-the-best-m3/
To be fair, you may be the only reviewer that I have come across to mention a numb feeling in steering.

Countless of people have talked about the the significant steering improvement over the regular M5/ M5C

But if you say so
__________________
http://www.precisionmedals.com/charts1/car.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/day_laborer/ (DM me from this account)
Email: nextlevelautobrokersdc@gmail.com
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 04:21 PM   #16
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
MachinesWithSouls's Avatar
United_States
4717
Rep
2,406
Posts

Drives: 2022 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
If anyone wonders how it compares to the M2 CS and G80…

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...0-m3-vs-m5-cs/
"There are a few niggles. The disconnected feel of the regular M5 (and the M3) still exists"

How did you come to this conclusion without driving it ?
Who says I never drove it…?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
If anyone wonders how it compares to the M2 CS and G80…

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...0-m3-vs-m5-cs/
"There are a few niggles. The disconnected feel of the regular M5 (and the M3) still exists"

How did you come to this conclusion without driving it ?
Who says I never drove it…?
The owner of the m5 CS - trackday fanatic
Where does it say I drove his specifically?

Didn't drive the M3s (aside from mine) shot here that day either:

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...s-the-best-m3/
To be fair, you may be the only reviewer that I have come across to mention a numb feeling in steering.

Countless of people have talked about the the significant steering improvement over the regular M5/ M5C

But if you say so
Sorry, should have clarified. It's undoubtedly the best of the modern BMWs out there, especially compared to the cars in the test. But it's not Porsche level (for an electric rack comparison), nor of course, BMWs of old. Suppose that's a dying battle anyway.
__________________
I review cars!
@MachinesWithSouls

2022 M3 6MT - Portimao Blue Metallic
2022 X3 M40i - Tanzanite Blue Metallic
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2022, 04:26 PM   #17
FrozenGT
Captain
617
Rep
640
Posts

Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ashburn VA

iTrader: (1)

I am a true Bmw fan. I have been so a very long time. I would never buy a Cadillac from my own reasons. as nice as the M5 CS is…. I wouldn't buy one either just because I don't like the way it looks.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2022, 04:29 PM   #18
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
Poochie's Avatar
United_States
9050
Rep
7,566
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (3)

The yellow daytime running lights on this car is strait fire 🔥

If I had the cash to burn, I would get one solely for this reason.. 😎


.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 3
      03-16-2022, 05:15 PM   #19
ubchariot
Private
100
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: BMW M340i xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmazda View Post
$50-100K, at least in California that seems to be situation
It would be such a shame if this car does not get markup in California, LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 06:17 PM   #20
TexasSurgeon
Private First Class
174
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: 2016 Frozen Black F82
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lakeway, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2001 BMW e46 325i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
The seats are amazing in my M5CS.
I love them.

We also just got a G83 with CF seats .. love!
Most engaging M car since E46. And have had many M cars.. It actually sounds really good stock especially with the top down.

I would pick it over a carrera 4s - and much better price point.

I am super impressed.
__________________
///2016 Frozen Black F82/Full SO/DCT/MPE/CF Mirror caps/CF spoiler/Dinan coilover suspension
Appreciate 1
russell21144.00
      03-16-2022, 07:40 PM   #21
crypto
...
964
Rep
1,000
Posts

Drives: 2022 M5 CS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
I am a true Bmw fan. I have been so a very long time. I would never buy a Cadillac from my own reasons. as nice as the M5 CS is…. I wouldn't buy one either just because I don't like the way it looks.
I feel the same way, looks wise, with regard to not being interested in Cadillac or Mercedes. Personal preferences but not a fan of either. I think the Cadi looks much better than say the E63S though.
__________________
Current: 2022 M5 CS
Past: 2021 M550i (BSM)
Past: 2010 535 xDrive (Alpine White)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 12:15 AM   #22
Peertwelve
Captain
Peertwelve's Avatar
United_States
754
Rep
898
Posts

Drives: Silverstone Metalic E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
If anyone wonders how it compares to the M2 CS and G80…

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...0-m3-vs-m5-cs/
Well written, great photos. Thank you!
__________________
2008 SSII E92 M3 | LCI CIC, Apps, Tails| MPE | BBS Ch-R
1990 325i

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST