BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-20-2022, 07:55 PM   #1
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

Goodbye F80, Hello G82!

So I’ll warn you all, this post is just for me to basically get off my chest how much I am relieved to be rid of my old car and be glad that I’m in the new car. Sorry to all of the F8x fan boys out there but the G8x has proven to be FAR superior in literally every way so far. Let me start by venting all of the issues I had with my F80 in just 2.5 short years…. I’ll list them lol

-The CCB’s were so unbelievably loud people walking near by would stare at me when I stopped. (Yes, nature of the beast I know, but still annoying)
-had a coolant leak
-had 2 flat tires
-horn stopped working and needed a complete new horn relay, not just fuse
-front control arms both went out within a few weeks of each other
-horrible undiagnosed squealing from front axle (wheel bearing?)
-transmission would randomly feel like I slammed on the brake at low speeds. And not just the normal DCT jerk… this was way worse.
-transmission had all sorts of horrible noises always coming from it
-charge pipe cracked
-spark plug went bad
-front bumper paint was peeling from whoever owned it before me’s terrible paint job
-ride was 10000 times more harsh than the g82 to the point that looking back I wonder if the shipping blocks were never taken off 6 years ago lmao
-road noise was WAY louder than the g82
-steering wheel creaked when you turned it
-trunk would open itself repeatedly after closing it. Had to close it 3-4 times before it stayed shut
-sometimes after starting the car and putting it into drive it would take more than 30 seconds before it would actually engage gear and let me drive away
-gas mileage was considerably worse from what I can tell so far.

I wish I could say I’ll miss that cursed vehicle but I cannot tell you how glad I am to be rid of that vile thing. This M4 so far (just hit 100 miles!) blows it out of the water. I can’t wait to get more time behind the wheel and hit break in service so I can finally see it’s full potential!

Congrats to everyone else who’s taken delivery so far and to those waiting still; it’s absolutely worth the wait!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 08:10 PM   #2
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Glad you got the G82 so you could avoid any more flat tires!

Lol. In all seriousness, sounds like a big pile of shit.

Congrats on the new ride…let’s see some pics!
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2022, 08:14 PM   #3
Topcarbon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 m4

I’m the guy who purchased your old car
Shit, I am in trouble

Lol

Congratulations on your upgrade
I am one week in and loving my g82
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 08:18 PM   #4
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Pics.

And where in Ohio?
      02-20-2022, 09:17 PM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeanowl View Post
So I'll warn you all, this post is just for me to basically get off my chest how much I am relieved to be rid of my old car and be glad that I'm in the new car. Sorry to all of the F8x fan boys out there but the G8x has proven to be FAR superior in literally every way so far. Let me start by venting all of the issues I had with my F80 in just 2.5 short years…. I'll list them lol

-The CCB's were so unbelievably loud people walking near by would stare at me when I stopped. (Yes, nature of the beast I know, but still annoying)
-had a coolant leak
-had 2 flat tires
-horn stopped working and needed a complete new horn relay, not just fuse
-front control arms both went out within a few weeks of each other
-horrible undiagnosed squealing from front axle (wheel bearing?)
-transmission would randomly feel like I slammed on the brake at low speeds. And not just the normal DCT jerk… this was way worse.
-transmission had all sorts of horrible noises always coming from it
-charge pipe cracked
-spark plug went bad
-front bumper paint was peeling from whoever owned it before me's terrible paint job
-ride was 10000 times more harsh than the g82 to the point that looking back I wonder if the shipping blocks were never taken off 6 years ago lmao
-road noise was WAY louder than the g82
-steering wheel creaked when you turned it
-trunk would open itself repeatedly after closing it. Had to close it 3-4 times before it stayed shut
-sometimes after starting the car and putting it into drive it would take more than 30 seconds before it would actually engage gear and let me drive away
-gas mileage was considerably worse from what I can tell so far.

I wish I could say I'll miss that cursed vehicle but I cannot tell you how glad I am to be rid of that vile thing. This M4 so far (just hit 100 miles!) blows it out of the water. I can't wait to get more time behind the wheel and hit break in service so I can finally see it's full potential!

Congrats to everyone else who's taken delivery so far and to those waiting still; it's absolutely worth the wait!
Woah that's a lot of problems. Can't blame the car for flat tires though, I got a flat in my G82 after 3 days!

Both of my former F80's performed very very well except for the V1 MPE, which has well documented problems with the welds, but both were replaced under warranty. None of the other problems you described ever cursed them! I'm wondering if your car was purchased used and perhaps was an M school car?!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3412.50
      02-21-2022, 07:37 AM   #6
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Congratulations

Let's see the car

Was your last M a CPO?

My past F80 6MT was Fantastic ZERO complaints.

I hope to take delivery of my G80 pure by 1st week in May. The wait borders waterboarding.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 09:47 AM   #7
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Of course, G80 is much better. Good choice.