BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

02-11-2022, 03:42 AM   #1
pajo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3S

Glass roof solar heat gain

I’m in Australia and considering ordering an xDrive50; I hope to be test driving one in a couple of weeks (if the dealership can arrange it). In Australia the xDrive50 comes with the Skylounge panoramic glass roof. I know the glass roof can be switched to opaque however the BMW marketing of the switching feature is about privacy not reducing solar heat gain. Can anyone give me an idea of how the Skylounge roof affects the temperature inside the car when in full sun compared to the regular steel roof both when parked and when driving? Also, does switching to opaque help keep the car cool? I’m hoping someone who drives in a hot climate might be able to comment.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 08:02 AM   #2
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Hopefully someone with one of these cars in a hot climate will get back to you but just in case they don't, I'll throw in my two cents. If you really want to minimise heat gain then a white hard roofed car would *likely* be best. While I'd personally always prefer going for a car with a sunroof because I just like really light interiors, I was a bit disappointed in the iX's roof and would have preferred a regular glass panel with electrified shade mesh or something like that. You basically have the choice of 'foggy' and 'less foggy'.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 08:50 AM   #3
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I'd order the glass roof and if it's not good enough, put 70% VLT film on it.
Appreciate 0