F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Odd F33 leak - not in the usual area...
Studio RSR

01-12-2022, 10:43 AM   #1
mustremembermylogin
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Odd F33 leak - not in the usual area...

Hello everyone,

I have a very slight, but annoying, water leak coming from the roof above the drivers door.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that after heavy rain, there was a drip or two of water on the drivers seat.

Then, when driving the car, I get the occasional drip of water. This normally happens when I'm braking or turning a corner.

It seems to be entering the car above the door seal and I've checked the drain holes on the A pillar and the ones which run through each of the two panels of the roof and they are all clear.

Has anybody experienced similar?

Whilst it's very minor, it is a tad annoying and I'd like to sort it out. The car is under the AUC warranty, but I'm not sure if water ingress is covered. I've had it for just under six months so might be able to hassle the supplying dealer for a solution....

All help appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 10:55 AM   #2
GOF_430d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 430d convertible

Now you mention it I have the same problem albeit from the passenger side, though for me it tends to occur intermittently so I'll be interested in anyone's suggestions.

I have in the past lubricated the seals on the roof, the hinge is roughly in the right location for the leak.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 02:56 PM   #3
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

Just a guess but could it be coming in from around the side windows. They may need adjusting to ensure they are returning to the correct height, worth a check.
      01-12-2022, 03:24 PM   #4
jonesdg4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33 - 2016 M-Sport 420d Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybunny View Post
Just a guess but could it be coming in from around the side windows. They may need adjusting to ensure they are returning to the correct height, worth a check.
I have the same issue and a local indie suggested that the roof could be slightly out of alignment! Approx £400 to sort. But I greased and siliconed the seals in the roof panels and it seems to sort it out. Still get the odd drip but nothing much so not going to resolve!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 03:31 AM   #5
mustremembermylogin
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I think I'll give the seals a clean and a going-over with some gummi pflege which has worked well in the past.

It's not a major issue, but it can be annoying to be dripped on when driving!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 08:54 AM   #6
)2dano2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D F33

I had the same issue its because the roof doesn't lock into the bit above the window screen properly I opend the roof fully closed it till it was about 2 inches from locking into the window screen then kind of twisted it down to straighten it up

Problem solved
Appreciate 0