M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Change from run-flat tyres?

12-27-2021, 04:58 AM   #1
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Change from run-flat tyres?

I know this has probably been discussed to death on various threads, but wanted to get done definitive answers from people who have made the change please.

What did you change from and to?

Did you notice a discernible difference in the ride quality?

On reflection, was it worth the money?

I'm running Pirelli P-zero PZ4 run-flats, which I think are quite widely known for their harsh ride even when comparing with other run-flats.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 08:28 AM   #2
Van_bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m850 GC

1. Yes it has, to death
2. Most have gone to Michelin PS4s, seems to be the gold standard in summer tires for cars like these. I just changed to a high performance all season due to my climate, the Conti DWS 06+, amazing tires for what it does.
3. Nearly whatever choice of regular tires you go with, you will notice an improvement in ride quality for sure, cost, longevity, noise, etc…
4. If you really want to make it worth it use your runflats through the season then change in the summer time, to get a little more life out of them. In the end it will be worth it.
1999 Mercedes SL500
1980 Mercedes 450SL
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5922.50
      12-27-2021, 08:39 AM   #3
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_bimmer View Post
1. Yes it has, to death
2. Most have gone to Michelin PS4s, seems to be the gold standard in summer tires for cars like these. I just changed to a high performance all season due to my climate, the Conti DWS 06+, amazing tires for what it does.
3. Nearly whatever choice of regular tires you go with, you will notice an improvement in ride quality for sure, cost, longevity, noise, etc…
4. If you really want to make it worth it use your runflats through the season then change in the summer time, to get a little more life out of them. In the end it will be worth it.
Changed from those same PZ4s to the Michelin Pilot All Season 4s. Definitely more comfortable but a bit mushier when pushing lateral Gs through turns. A small sacrifice for the grip you get for wetter weather.

Also added this to the trunk: https://www.amazon.com/ResQ-71-063-0...a-813603528918. It fits really well in that pocket on the right side and I used stick on Velcro from Home Depot to get it to stay through my f1 driving 😂
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_bimmer View Post
1. Yes it has, to death
This pretty much sums it up. While harsher than non RFTs, Pirelli P Zero RFTs aren't the harshest. Bridgestone tires "feature" a more jarring ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 06:48 PM   #5
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
I know this has probably been discussed to death on various threads, but wanted to get done definitive answers from people who have made the change please.

What did you change from and to?

Did you notice a discernible difference in the ride quality?

On reflection, was it worth the money?

I'm running Pirelli P-zero PZ4 run-flats, which I think are quite widely known for their harsh ride even when comparing with other run-flats.
What type of winter weather do you drive in? Snow or ice. Different winter weather can call for different winter tires. Depends on the winter you get. Here in Ontario we can get some ugly days so the correct winter tire is essential.
Now you can't get it perfect either as of course winter can vary from day to day.
If I was in a snow zone I'd look for a more knobby type tire. Something with some snow flinging ability. Something with some ability to move snow out of the way if it's deep. If you deal with a lot of snow then don't go as wide as the stock tires. Just a bit less than stock width. A bit taller tire is good then as well.
If you see very little snow but more ice go for an ice specific tire. It can be the same as stock size. Ice tires move less snow but have more contact patch overall.
For instance if you live in Toronto you need mostly an ice tire. Not much accumulation usually (usually). North of Toronto a snow tire can be more suited. Two different applications/uses of tires within 100 miles of each other.
Honestly the M series is not the best winter car choice. Mines in the garage for the winter.
On my Saab which i do drive in winter AWD I chose the new Michelin X Ice tires. New for me this year and I think new this year for the tire too.
Highly rated tire. Good so far.
I'm able to matt it pretty good with a ton of traction still. So far the best winter tire I've had on the car. But it very early to tell still really as we haven't had a lot of winter yet here.

Last edited by M8Bimmer; 12-27-2021 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0