E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Is sports suspension worth the cost?

04-29-2006, 03:42 AM   #1
medrep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Carbon Black

Is sports suspension worth the cost?

Hi all,

Great website by the way!

I am due to order my company car, which will be a base model 2d ES.

I am considering the 160 wheels, sports steering wheel and possibly the sports suspension.

As the car is not technically mine, would it be worth forking out £200 for the option (£1095 in total!!) , and would it make much difference visually and on handling. I mostly do motorway miles, but enjoy 'driving'!

Thanks for any feedback!

Dave

N.B I currently have an 04' 2d ES saloon with the above options and love it, but never drove the standard model and set up.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 03:52 AM   #2
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sports

Firstly, take them both for a test drive and give them a good run. I drove both, and although the standard is pretty good I decided to go for the lowered suspension (though I did go for the whole M Sport pack as I wanted all the other stuff that came with it, so it wasnt just a suspension thing). I am pretty happy with it. I am also running the 193s, so have 18" as well, plus the run flats obviously, but find the ride to be fine. Absolutely no probs on motorways and still pretty good on A/B roads. Plus, you live in Wales and I thought you had good 'driving' roads there, so reckon you would enjoy the sports suspension if you got it. I know I like it when I take my car out on B roads up here in Yorkshire. Either way, good luck. Nice choice of motor!
      04-29-2006, 06:02 AM   #3
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
For the £200, I'd say get it. I didn't and always wonder what difference it would make. I've been on the road with FD and I didn't fall off the road when driving together so can't imagine the difference is huge, handling wise. Its the drop thats worth it!!
      04-29-2006, 06:11 AM   #4
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar
For the £200, I'd say get it. I didn't and always wonder what difference it would make. I've been on the road with FD and I didn't fall off the road when driving together so can't imagine the difference is huge, handling wise. Its the drop thats worth it!!
You didnt fall off the road cos I was taking it easy. Didnt want to push you too hard otherwise I might have fealt responsible for you wrapping your E90 round a tree. Only joking! As 1stnewcar says I think the difference is only marginal as the standard handling of the car is already very good, but like I said before take them out on a back to back drive somewhere. And for the £200, I think it is worth it.
      04-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingdwarf
You didnt fall off the road cos I was taking it easy. Didnt want to push you too hard otherwise I might have fealt responsible for you wrapping your E90 round a tree. Only joking! As 1stnewcar says I think the difference is only marginal as the standard handling of the car is already very good, but like I said before take them out on a back to back drive somewhere. And for the £200, I think it is worth it.
As the boys have already said Dave, we think the sports suspension is worth it, even though standard suspension is great.
I've got sports suspension on 18" 162s- it is firmer than standard, but I still love it!
Flying around roundabouts at speeds which could make other cars wrap themselves around trees is just great!

The northern boys give the e90 sports suspension their seal of approval!

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Medrep, when we all come down to wales you will have to meet up with us and show us round!
      04-29-2006, 09:20 AM   #7
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:

Time to organise that karting get together I think.

04-29-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Quote:
Time to organise that karting get together I think.

Don't want you complaining that your kart doesn't have sport suspension when I wup your arse.
      04-29-2006, 09:45 AM   #9
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Don't want you complaining that your kart doesn't have sport suspension when I wup your arse.

I'll try not to!! So, do I need a new thread on this? A go karting event?
      04-29-2006, 09:47 AM   #10
N1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M

I have the m package and i have no doubt that the motorsport tuned suspension gives the car over the 50% / 50% front rear, a new balance right / left. The car in a corner, if we put the acelerator down, gives the rear in a controlled drift but dont overweight the wheels outside. We dont need to put koni or billstein, the suspension is there always.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 09:53 AM   #11
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Quote:

I'll try not to!! So, do I need a new thread on this? A go karting event?
Who knows. The First UK Meet thread has started multiplying like a Mogwai splashed with water. I am responsible for one of them, so sorry about that, but see no problem in starting another. Maybe we could include karting in the next event. Wouldn't want it to get too competitive though, and we might even get a few lurkers with 'racing' experience turning up and making us all look stupid. We will have to make it a registered only event - nobody allowed in if you dont at least post! And of course, everyone has to be worse than me.

Paul, check this and this out. I told you about it the other day at the meet. . this guy is out there
      04-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #12
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Lol^^^^^^^ I race rotax ill sign up i wanna race!!! got me a couple karts with Rotax 125... and my first kart with a KT100 slow piece of crap but its still super fast and fun as hell... We race in Socal a couple times a month if anyones around here as well hit me up!

OH and NO dont buy the sports suspension!! why pay 1300 for some cheep springs and ugly tires ull end up replacing a week later anyway!!

Call up DTM autowerks bro and youll get some sick rims and top of the line suspension for a way better price!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 10:28 AM   #13
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD
Lol^^^^^^^ I race rotax ill sign up i wanna race!!! got me a couple karts with Rotax 125... and my first kart with a KT100 slow piece of crap but its still super fast and fun as hell... We race in Socal a couple times a month if anyones around here as well hit me up!

OH and NO dont buy the sports suspension!! why pay 1300 for some cheep springs and ugly tires ull end up replacing a week later anyway!!

Call up DTM autowerks bro and youll get some sick rims and top of the line suspension for a way better price!
erm, that all sounds good ADHD but we are all in the UK. However, if and when I get an official invite to SoCal (maybe a group invite for UK members if people can put us all up for accomodation) we will surely all have to meet up.

Happy drivin
      04-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #14
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
After driving my dad's 120d Sport for a week and comparing it to my 325i SE (non-sport) I can say that the ride is identical on the sports suspension if your rims are 1 inch smaller in diameter. The 120d has 16" rims and felt pretty much exactly the same as my 325 with 17" rims.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 01:48 PM   #15
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle
After driving my dad's 120d Sport for a week and comparing it to my 325i SE (non-sport) I can say that the ride is identical on the sports suspension if your rims are 1 inch smaller in diameter. The 120d has 16" rims and felt pretty much exactly the same as my 325 with 17" rims.
Problem is the car was 2 smaller, it was a 1er not a 3er. How are you mate anyway! First it was the diesel/petrol comparrison, now rid ecomparrisons. You should start a regular little article comparing different features from the 1 and 3 series. You are like E90Fleet for this kind of knowledge!

Real questions is though, how much better is the handling with lowered suspension plus larger, 18" wheels?
      04-29-2006, 02:13 PM   #16
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Problem is the car was 2 smaller, it was a 1er not a 3er. How are you mate anyway! First it was the diesel/petrol comparrison, now rid ecomparrisons. You should start a regular little article comparing different features from the 1 and 3 series. You are like E90Fleet for this kind of knowledge!

Real questions is though, how much better is the handling with lowered suspension plus larger, 18" wheels?
It's an absolute peach Dermot!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #17
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:

You're absolutely right, although I know the 1 series and the 3 series share a lot of components, including the 5 link rear axle - i wonder if it shares the suspension too?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #18
N1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Powered by a 1,995cc diesel engine, the BMW Motorsport-equipped 120d provides 245hp and 450Nm of torque from its modified engine. A lowered suspension with adjustable anti-roll bars and dampers features along with 332mm front disc brakes with six-piston callipers and 284mm rear disc brakes with four-piston callipers. Lightweight BBS alloy wheels, a full aero package including rear diffuser, and a stripped out weight-saving interior also serve to increase performance. Is THAT THE SMALLER 1 ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 07:34 AM   #19
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1
Powered by a 1,995cc diesel engine, the BMW Motorsport-equipped 120d provides 245hp and 450Nm of torque from its modified engine. A lowered suspension with adjustable anti-roll bars and dampers features along with 332mm front disc brakes with six-piston callipers and 284mm rear disc brakes with four-piston callipers. Lightweight BBS alloy wheels, a full aero package including rear diffuser, and a stripped out weight-saving interior also serve to increase performance. Is THAT THE SMALLER 1 ?
Bugger me. Now I want a 1 series, and I didnt think i would ever say that!
      04-30-2006, 08:01 AM   #20
N1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the little one, 1 SERIES is very fast 245hp, 450 Nm, lighter. No bugger sorry i was only trying to make the bridge between the 3 series and 1 series with motorsport suspension. In order to get the full view there it is Nş1 of course
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #21
medrep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Carbon Black

Thanks for the replies, I will take a closer look at the non sports suspension, however, I am really tempted to go for the package I mentioned as I do love 'driving' haha!

The Welsh backroads are so much fun, and a lot safer enclosed in a 3 series than my recently flogged yamaha R6, which was an accident waiting to happen!

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #22
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Do it, and when you find some good roads you be sure to let us know where they all are!