BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bootmod flash uninstall issue – need someone to help flash my ECU to stock…

09-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #1
mutunekk
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2008

Bootmod flash uninstall issue – need someone to help flash my ECU to stock…

First things first – bootmod is amazing. if you have an unlocked DME it is 100% worth it.

Now I am having a major issue uninstalling it from my car. I recently flashed to the multimap tunes (amazing tech) but now need to take my car in for some basic work and 100% BMW will screw my warranty if I show up with bootmod installed.

For some reason bootmod will only allow me to install other multimap tunes and will not let me go back to stock and “lock the DME”. it starts the flash then goes into clearing codes... no errors or anything is displayed in the console.

Even the stage 1 or stage 2 without multimaps fails but the multimap versions install 100% fine on the car and everything works like it should.

Contacted the bootmod team (who were super helpful – working on weekend etc.) who then tried to flash the car using e-sys to the original settings. But they were unsuccessful (they were getting the "missing SWEs in PSdZdata directory" error) and randomly told me that they had locked my ECU and I needed to get it bench unlocked…

This turned out to be wrong as the car still flashes bootmod tunes fine just as long as they are multimaps… at the same place i started.

So now I’m stuck with either going to get my car bench unlocked (will void my warranty) or going hoping BMW doesn’t notice (100% void my warranty) which really sucks.

Its there anyone who can help with the flashing my car back to its stock ECU without the unlock? or am i screwed and need to figure out how to bench unlock my car?

Just on a side note: there is a high chance that others with the M2 comp will have the same issue. I would stay away from the multimap tunes… the rest are awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

I suggest another oem stock ecu from a salvage car and have someone match it to your car, for some some people it's easy to do

Just find the good one

This way, you'll keep your warranty
While it's installed, have yours bench unlocked
Appreciate 1
stefan2354.00
      09-20-2021, 08:09 PM   #3
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Not sure I get your issue as mine is an M2C as well and zero issues. You can flash your previous stage 1 or 2 maps. This is what I did for my old maps. You just click on it and click that Convert to custom rom button. It’ll make a copy of that map which you can now flash and you get antilag built into it too.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 06:06 AM   #4
beezyM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

i had/have this same exact issue right now
      12-11-2021, 12:22 AM   #5
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Why worry? You pretty much lost your warranty when you flashed your car. The dealer can detect your tune even if you flash back to stock. The new version of ISTA can detect if you were tuned during a regular oil change reset automatically.

I would just take it in flashed.
Appreciate 3
stefan2354.00
      12-11-2021, 05:18 AM   #6
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Why worry? You pretty much lost your warranty when you flashed your car. The dealer can detect your tune even if you flash back to stock. The new version of ISTA can detect if you were tuned during a regular oil change reset automatically.

This is the correct answer. Also the ECU records stuff like over boost or higher TQ demands than stock and flags the ECU as tuned even if you put a stock map back on.

Only way to cheat the system is a different stock ECU matched to your current car.
      12-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #7
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

for real. Honesty is probably better policy and op might benefit from building a relationship with his local dealer i.e., when something fails that isn't motor or drivetrain related, his claim will be easier to make. But if the motor or drivetrain fails there should be no expectation of warranty.
      12-11-2021, 08:13 PM   #8
beezyM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:

Yeah i kinda explained this to him in a PM

I have only set foot inside of a BMW service area twice, once for RIS and a second time getting my front lip put on because i hadnt found my second home, i mean shop yet