BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

09-13-2021, 07:22 AM   #1
bgexpress
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB E46 M3

Can my order be changed?

Hi all,

This is my first time ordering a new bmw and I'm looking for some guidance.

I put a deposit down on a week 37 build in 112 status. On 9/6 it went from 112 to 111 on the my bmw page. Genius says it is a week 44 estimated build now.

I originally wanted an individual color but was told it was too close to production to request it, I put a deposit on the build in week 34. Fair enough.

Now that the build has been delayed and gone back to 111 I asked if I could switch to an individual color and was told by the dealer that car is still in 112 for week 44 in their system and changes can't be made. They sent me a screenshot below. To me this seems like BS, you can see the 111 date is newer than the 112 date which to me shows this build did in fact get delayed back to 111. I've tried to talk to them about it but they insist it is too late to change anything.

Regardless, I'm going to get the car but I don't want to miss out on individual if I have the option - is there validity to me pushing for the change or are they correct?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 07:39 AM   #2
Motorat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I was able to add changes when I was at 112.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 07:48 AM   #3
tmilnthorp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

From what I understand, you can still change at 112. It will likely push you back a month with the individual color change though.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 07:51 AM   #4
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

You can change till it goes into production (150). Keep in mind, there are serious delays right now; changing to individual likely will put you getting your car into next year if I had to guess. Not sure why the dealer doesn't want to change it for you...my guess is they're not experienced with doing individual orders.
      09-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
You can change till it goes into production (150). Keep in mind, there are serious delays right now; changing to individual likely will put you getting your car into next year if I had to guess. Not sure why the dealer doesn't want to change it for you...my guess is they're not experienced with doing individual orders.
+1 to all of this right here.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
kbanga
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C | G80 M3C | E24 635CSi

I tried to make a change and was told I will expect it in February 2022 if I did that. (CF Bucket seats)

Currently scheduled for Week 42 so I didn't think it was worth it.
      09-13-2021, 02:47 PM   #7
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbanga View Post
I tried to make a change and was told I will expect it in February 2022 if I did that. (CF Bucket seats)

Wow.
      09-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #8
bgexpress
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbanga View Post

Brutal, maybe that is what they're worried about.

My current spec is
Yas buckets
Laser lights
Black 826M
Carbon trim
Alpine white paint
Blue calipers

If I could do individual I would do British racing green on kyalami buckets and black calipers. The rest would stay the same. Oh well, maybe it's just a good excuse to spec another one in the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #9
diavliyo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128TI

order in July and last update is September 6, the only thing I have individual is the extended full fiorano red upholstery with Brooklyn exterior color
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 09:48 PM   #10
jri_21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G83), BMW X6

Garage List
2022 BMW M4 G83  [8.33]
2022 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
I just got that nonsense from my dealer today…wanted to change color (HECK…NOT like they're giving me a discount or free Individual color!).
First gave me the once ordered it can't be changed…when I told them my car is still (112), they changed the story to all 2022 YM ordered were closed and no modifications can be made.
I told them that only when a car order has a chassis number assigned and build date was set (150), then the order can't be modified and they gave me…another story.
Got the run-around from a dealer that I have trusted and am a half-way decent customer…8 cars in 8 years!
      05-14-2022, 10:05 PM   #11
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

My experience dealing with several just trying to get an allocation was that some were cool and wanted to make sure you got what you wanted and others just want to get paid ASAP. If you make a change and it pushes the build back it pushes the dealer from getting a commission for the sale. Interesting times we are dealing with and interesting differences with sales people and dealerships.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 10:19 PM   #12
xXMPowerXx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ford, Lexi, Lambo's

We will all remember who treated us right and who didn’t.
Appreciate 1
SpeedyATL1929.50
      05-14-2022, 11:35 PM   #13
Besharaf
Captain
Rep
Drives: Thin Air

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jri_21 View Post
I just got that nonsense from my dealer today…wanted to change color (HECK…NOT like they're giving me a discount or free Individual color!).
First gave me the once ordered it can't be changed…when I told them my car is still (112), they changed the story to all 2022 YM ordered were closed and no modifications can be made.
I told them that only when a car order has a chassis number assigned and build date was set (150), then the order can't be modified and they gave me…another story.
Got the run-around from a dealer that I have trusted and am a half-way decent customer…8 cars in 8 years!
For individual color? It might because the deadline passed for the MY22s
Appreciate 1
jri_21280.00
      05-15-2022, 05:23 AM   #14
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Individual colors for MY22 were closed by Apr 1 iirc. Your dealer's not being lazy or uncaring. You can call the BMW Genius and ask questions like this specific to your production number. If you want an individual color, you'll have to give up your slot and get in line for a MY23 (however your dealer wants to handle that).
jri_21280.00
      05-15-2022, 09:59 AM   #15
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besharaf View Post
For individual color? It might because the deadline passed for the MY22s
The deadline has passed for ordering individual colors, but if his was accepted by BMW before the deadline, Individual options will lock the build, and changes are very difficult/near impossible to get approved.
Appreciate 1
jri_21280.00
      05-16-2022, 07:33 AM   #16
jri_21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M4 G83  [8.33]
2022 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Individual colors for MY22 were closed by Apr 1 iirc. Your dealer's not being lazy or uncaring. You can call the BMW Genius and ask questions like this specific to your production number. If you want an individual color, you'll have to give up your slot and get in line for a MY23 (however your dealer wants to handle that).
Thanks for the explanation!
I already ordered the car (G83) with an Individual color, just wanted to change it for another Individual color.
Thought it could be done since my order code is still at 112.
I do have a production number, still no VIN number assigned, as it is my understanding that this happens when it goes to 150 and I believed that changes could be made to an order up to the moment that happens.
Guess I was wrong.
Anyhow, here's where I got the info on changes to an order:

https://www.bmwofminnetonka.com/bmw-...-status-codes/

05-16-2022, 08:46 AM   #17
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I already ordered the car (G83) with an Individual color, just wanted to change it for another Individual color.
I do have a production number, still no VIN number assigned, as it is my understanding that this happens when it goes to 150 and I believed that changes could be made to an order up to the moment that happens.
Guess I was wrong.

Ah… individual orders are fully locked once accepted and cannot be changed by the dealer. Only BMW NA may be able to change something in some circumstances (one person was able to make a minor change in spec I've read). And often it is even out of their hands. Using a new allocation is the only option then if the dealership is willing to eat the incorrectly configured car.
jri_21280.00
      05-16-2022, 09:30 AM   #18
jri_21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M4 G83  [8.33]
2022 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Guess I was wrong.

Ah… individual orders are fully locked once accepted and cannot be changed by the dealer. Only BMW NA may be able to change something in some circumstances (one person was able to make a minor change in spec I've read). And often it is even out of their hands. Using a new allocation is the only option then if the dealership is willing to eat the incorrectly configured car.
Got it!

05-16-2022, 08:58 PM   #19
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
You could change the individual color (it's too late to do this now as they stopped accepting individual color orders for MY22), but that means you'd have to cancel the color, submit paperwork to get the new color, get that approved and then scheduled.

You can get individual orders adjusted through BMW NA. But if it affects something like individual interior (e.g., adding heated seats) you'd have to resubmit the order and more delays.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 1
kjx3215.50
      06-08-2022, 04:48 PM   #20
chujk1985
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 X Comp

What is considered to make an order an "individual order"? Is there anything besides paint? For example, is the fiona red interior considered individual in the context of being locked and no changes in status 112?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 05:05 PM   #21
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Yes, Fiona, Fjord, and I think ivory are considered Individual, and though I've seen of people that were able to make changes, usually Individual options lock the build.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 05:38 PM   #22
chujk1985
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 X Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Yes, Fiona, Fjord, and I think ivory are considered Individual, and though I've seen of people that were able to make changes, usually Individual options lock the build.
How do ppl get the changes made? Make a request to BMW NA?
Appreciate 0