M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Question on Urban cruise control

09-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Question on Urban cruise control

Edit. Just saw that this is called urban cruise control.

So we just came back from Germany where we rented a M8 Comp Gran Coupe and I noticed that the car had some type of traffic light/stop sign assist that would alert for red lights or stop signs.

The instrument cluster would light up like an impending collision and flash red if not slowing down for it, which I thought can be useful to have.

Is this available in the US, via software update or coding?
Also, to my surprise the car sounded exactly like our M8C coupe; I was anticipating some flat, neutered sound (which we got from a 3 week old M5 that we had to return due to some generic drive train error).

Last edited by Wolfman64; 09-07-2021 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post

So we just came back from Germany where we rented a M8 Comp Gran Coupe and I noticed that the car had some type of traffic light/stop sign assist that would alert for red lights or stop signs.

The instrument cluster would light up like an impending collision and flash red if not slowing down for it, which I thought can be useful to have.

Also, to my surprise the car sounded exactly like our M8C coupe; I was anticipating some flat, neutered sound (which we got from a 3 week old M5 that we had to return due to some generic drive train error).
It is code-able, but not fully 100% functional.
I've code it to my G05 X5, and it is hit and miss, so I disable it again.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:

I have the bwm $25 red light alert for cameras in my 2019 m850i. also it does flash red to warn of collision, because I have all the options driver packages on my build. fully loaded. works 100% of the time. built in by bmw, no coding needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I have the bwm $25 red light alert for cameras in my 2019 m850i. also it does flash red to warn of collision, because I have all the options driver packages on my build. fully loaded. works 100% of the time. built in by bmw, no coding needed.
I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

This is not about red light cameras that will generate a ticket.

This is the car approaching a traffic light that is red and you are not slowing down.
The instrument cluster will alert you and I believe could take you to a full stop if you don't (setting).
It's the extension of the Driving Assistant Professional & active cruise control, which is also what we have on our 2020 M8c.

Here is some info from another site but they mention this can be upgraded remotely except for the 8 series which is confusing, given that we had this on an 8 Series (March 21 build)...
https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/09/24/n...ruise-control/
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 07:15 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post

This is the car approaching a traffic light that is red and you are not slowing down.
The instrument cluster will alert you and I believe could take you to a full stop if you don't (setting).
It's the extension of the Driving Assistant Professional & active cruise control, which is also what we have on our 2020 M8c.

Here is some info from another site but they mention this can be upgraded remotely except for the 8 series which is confusing, given that we had this on an 8 Series (March 21 build)...
yep, nevermind. I don't have that, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

What is interesting is the BMW blog post somewhat contradicts itself to your point. First it calls out that it applies to the 8-series and then also calls out specifically the M8 (not sure why as it's part of the 8-series). However, when it comes to the OTA upgrade for existing vehicles that is the contradiction, i.e., it states that the 8-series is excluded. WTF?

Also interesting is the call out for the feature to be applied via OTA the car needs to have a build date of 07/2020 onward. So far I've only seen this once before and that was with the contested iOS digital key support. First there were articles that it would apply to all existing cars with iDrive 7 and NFC capabilities. Then that was retracted and only included builds from 07/2020 onward. This puzzled me as NFC is supposedly an industry standard but obviously BMW changed the hardware in 07/2020 to support the iOS digital key.

So the $M dollar question is whether the hardware behind the Driving Assistant Professional package also was changed starting in 07/2020. If so this could explain why it was on the 03/2021 build date of the M8C GC you rented in Germany. It sounds like it is basically a new feature of ACC so out of curiosity did you have that engaged while driving the M8C GC vs full auto assist or both? Personally I think it's a great feature but wouldn't want to have ACC on for it to do the job.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 09-10-2021 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
What is interesting is the BMW blog post somewhat contradicts itself to your point. First it calls out that it applies to the 8-series and then also calls out specifically the M8 (not sure why as it's part of the 8-series). However, when it comes to the OTA upgrade for existing vehicles that is the contradiction, i.e., it states that the 8-series is excluded. WTF?

What is interesting is the call out for the feature to be applied via OTA the car needs to have a build date of 07/2020 onward. So far I've only seen this once before and that was with the contested iOS digital key support. First there were articles that it would apply to all existing cars with iDrive 7 and NFC capabilities. Then that was retracted and only included builds from 07/2020 onward. This puzzled me as NFC is supposedly an industry standard but obviously BMW changed the hardware in 07/2020 to support the iOS digital key.

So the $M dollar question is whether the hardware behind the Driving Assistant Professional package also was changed starting in 07/2020. If so this could explain why it was on the 03/2021 build date of the M8C GC you rented in Germany. It sounds like it is basically a new feature of ACC so out of curiosity did you have that engaged while driving the M8C GC vs full auto assist or both? Personally I think it's a great feature but wouldn't want to have ACC on for it to do the job.
I didn't use ACC in Europe. Too much fun to drive myself
On a side note, the car had so much headroom at 160mph that the speed limiter felt like the drag of a parachute. Annoying as the car was listed as a 300km/h car

I agree with your comments, I would want this without ACC engaged.
The system did provide the alerts (red light and stops sign) that would show on the cluster and sound an alert but did not intervene (information only). The alerts would only show when the car was approaching too fast.

I am not sure if a full intervention could be enabled without ACC on.

In hindsight I should have checked out all settings and OS version to see how they compared to our car but since it was valet parked most of the time we had very little seat time in the parked car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
The system did provide the alerts (red light and stops sign) that would show on the cluster and sound an alert but did not intervene (information only). The alerts would only show when the car was approaching too fast.

I am not sure if a full intervention could be enabled without ACC on.

In hindsight I should have checked out all settings and OS version to see how they compared to our car but since it was valet parked most of the time we had very little seat time in the parked car.
Now I really want this feature as it does what I would like it to do even without ACC engaged. There is no way I'll use ACC on surface streets anyway so wouldn't want it to have to be engaged just to get the alerts and take action vs just the alerts.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #9
Andycam
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i xDrive Coupι

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post

Also interesting is the call out for the feature to be applied via OTA the car needs to have a build date of 07/2020 onward. So far I've only seen this once before and that was with the contested iOS digital key support. First there were articles that it would apply to all existing cars with iDrive 7 and NFC capabilities. Then that was retracted and only included builds from 07/2020 onward. This puzzled me as NFC is supposedly an industry standard but obviously BMW changed the hardware in 07/2020 to support the iOS digital key.

This feature is on my 2018 build 2019 M850. It warns when approaching (some) stop signs - can't say about red lights - IF your country allows it. It was active on 11/2018 software but is not enabled for e g Sweden since 11/2019 (potentially earlier), neither is e g road-predictive speed limits in ACC.

But as soon as the car goes into e g Germany it can be activated and will work, warning you when approaching stop signs regardless if ACC is on or not. It's a driver's aid feature, and as stated my car is pre 07/2020 build.
Appreciate 0