E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dragging a boat anchor

09-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #1
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i M Sport 6MT

Dragging a boat anchor

Hi guys,

Looking for some ideas as to what might be causing an issue my car has been having lately.

It's an '07 E90 6MT 335i - 110,000 miles. Recent service items include oil & filter, coils, plugs and intakes cleaned 10,000 miles ago. 9 months ago I moved to a Stage 2+ MHD tune having just installed a Wagner intercooler and DPs & BMS charge pipe. Also had Turbosmart DVs done just prior to that.

The engine idles smoothly when cold or hot - but when pulling away and through 2nd and 3rd gears, it's almost like the brakes are being applied intermittently - so it's like the engine is surging but I can't tell if it's that or an issue with the traction control or brakes themselves. The problem is also present when off throttle and decelerating while still in gear.

When I move into neutral though, the problem goes away basically straight away and the car rolls along freely.

When installing the charge pipe I snapped off the small clip that holds the MAP sensor in, but it sat back in the plug just fine and seems to be held firmly in place.

When the tune was first done and new plugs and coils installed, the car felt like it had boatloads of shove just about from idle, but since this problem cropped up it feels like it's lost some of that urge and something is holding it back.

Does anyone have any tips as to what might be causing this? There don't seem to be any codes being picked up by MHD.

Thanks
Appreciate 0