BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 295/40/21 Tires - Will the fit?

09-01-2021, 10:41 PM   #1
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

295/40/21 Tires - Will the fit?

So, if you saw my last thread the 755m wheels we had on our X7 are toast due to a curb hit. Wife pretty much took the entire X7 over a curb, all four wheels, one tire blew-out.

Wheel shop says one wheel can't be fixed and the other three can be repaired but may never run full true again.

So since I have an OEM set of the 21" wheels I used as my winter set with Blizzaks, I've decided to ditch the 22's and just go with the 21's. Maybe one day I'll pick up a set of the 755m again.

So finding quality A/S tires that are 285/45/21 is a no-go. I have no idea why BMW chose this size, but tire selection is pretty slim.

Discount Tire recommended the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus as an alternative in the size 295/40/21. It's a bit smaller in overall circumference, but not by much. I looked online and saw the comparisons.

Has anyone ran a tire size other than stock and if so any issues?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
ImolaRay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i Carbon Black

I just checked the tire rack - many tires in stock.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...nLoadRating=XL
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
NYCillini
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMX X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
So, if you saw my last thread the 755m wheels we had on our X7 are toast due to a curb hit. Wife pretty much took the entire X7 over a curb, all four wheels, one tire blew-out.

Wheel shop says one wheel can't be fixed and the other three can be repaired but may never run full true again.

So since I have an OEM set of the 21" wheels I used as my winter set with Blizzaks, I've decided to ditch the 22's and just go with the 21's. Maybe one day I'll pick up a set of the 755m again.

So finding quality A/S tires that are 285/45/21 is a no-go. I have no idea why BMW chose this size, but tire selection is pretty slim.

Discount Tire recommended the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus as an alternative in the size 295/40/21. It's a bit smaller in overall circumference, but not by much. I looked online and saw the comparisons.

I'm a newbie here, but I almost purchased an x7 with 22" wheels which would have been a disaster for me due to the fact that all weather tires for the rears do not exist on this Earth and I would have to have either gotten winter tires (no where to store them in NYC apartment), or purchased 21" wheels and tires and sold the 22"s that would have come with the vehicle that I (thankfully) didn't buy.

Why in the world did BMW pick these wheel sizes. It's crazy. Very limited options overall.

Anyway, when doing hardcore research into the 22" issue, I found many reviews saying that the best all weather tires out there are the Continental Crosscontact. Many reviews I was reading that these tires were lasting 60K miles+.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
Saejin
Captain
Rep

I guess what I'm saying is getting some other options in tires versus what's only available in 285/45/21. Changing to 295/40 opens up other options which in my opinion for A/S is better than the Cross Contacts and cheaper.

I'll be putting them on today and will report back.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 12:53 PM   #5
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaRay View Post
I just checked the tire rack - many tires in stock.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...nLoadRating=XL

Most are summer or winter only. I think I saw maybe 4-5 for A/S with a few of those being run flats. All were $400-$500 as well. They do have the closeouts at half price too. I'm also moving away from RFT since I have the space saver spare.

The 295/40 I'm going with are $320 each, so a significant savings, but again not the OEM size. I would say it's a better tire as well compared to the Conti's or Pirellis that are available.

Wish I could just run summers all year long, but in Colorado that's not possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #6
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:

I haven’t tried the DWS06 on a SUV but I have had them on a couple cars and have them on my current M340 and I love the tires which is why I keep going back to them on my cars. Excellent in any weather for an all season performance tire but obviously will never be as good as a dedicated winter tire in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 07:23 PM   #7
ImolaRay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i Carbon Black

Quote:
Most are summer or winter only. I think I saw maybe 4-5 for A/S with a few of those being run flats. All were $400-$500 as well. They do have the closeouts at half price too. I'm also moving away from RFT since I have the space saver spare.

The 295/40 I'm going with are $320 each, so a significant savings, but again not the OEM size. I would say it's a better tire as well compared to the Conti's or Pirellis that are available.

Wish I could just run summers all year long, but in Colorado that's not possible.
Okay, I misunderstood.
I live in MN, and I had the same issue with the 22" wheels, so I ended up with Hankook Dynapro HP2 Plus 285/40/22's, All Seasons. I did not want pure winter tires and did not want another set of wheels to f#ck with. So I compromised and so far I am very happy with the ride and feel of the tires. I posted about them a couple of weeks ago.
Also, the Hankooks are non-RFT, so I got the spare from Bimmerzone - fits in the back perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #8
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCillini View Post
I'm a newbie here, but I almost purchased an x7 with 22" wheels which would have been a disaster for me due to the fact that all weather tires for the rears do not exist on this Earth and I would have to have either gotten winter tires (no where to store them in NYC apartment), or purchased 21" wheels and tires and sold the 22"s that would have come with the vehicle that I (thankfully) didn't buy.

Why in the world did BMW pick these wheel sizes. It's crazy. Very limited options overall.

Anyway, when doing hardcore research into the 22" issue, I found many reviews saying that the best all weather tires out there are the Continental Crosscontact. Many reviews I was reading that these tires were lasting 60K miles+.
Don't expect to get more than 10-15k miles out of any set of tires on this car, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #9
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:

Wow tires sure have gone up in price in the last month.
I checked out tire rack about a month ago and the Bridgestone Alenza runflat OEM tires were $270 each. Now they're $395 each. The non-run flat was $240 each, now they are $247. I guess the world wide rubber shortage is starting to show it's ugly effects.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 05:03 PM   #10
Splatt115
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Pirelli Zero A/S come in the following configuration.

275/45r22 (31.7")
305/40r22 (31.6")

The diameter is almost an exact match and these will fit on the factory rims.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 10:56 PM   #11
Saejin
Captain
Rep

I ended up going with the 295/40/21 set. Looks great and fits/drives fine.

I still have a vibration in the front end due to the curb hit which is what has forced me to use my 21's full time.

I suspect it's the wheel bearing as we've now ruled out the feathering of my winter tires which the dealer said was the issue.
Appreciate 0