M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Help me with loud ventilation

08-30-2021, 05:14 PM   #1
JustTony
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i F33, 2020 840i GC

Help me with loud ventilation

I think my ventilation is too loud, but the dealership says it's normal. Could someone double-check my measurements?

In my garage, windows up, ventilation in manual mode with A/C off. Measurements taken with the Noise app on my Apple Watch.

Off: 32db
1 bar: 43db
2 bars: 47db
3 bars: 49db

By comparison, my 430i:

1 bar: 35db
2 bars: 37db
3 bars: 42db

If you have an Apple Watch and an 8, would you mind repeating this test to see if it's really to spec?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 07:25 PM   #2
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
I think my ventilation is too loud, but the dealership says it's normal. Could someone double-check my measurements?

In my garage, windows up, ventilation in manual mode with A/C off. Measurements taken with the Noise app on my Apple Watch.

By comparison, my 430i:

If you have an Apple Watch and an 8, would you mind repeating this test to see if it's really to spec?
Not near my car at the moment, but you can change the default intensity of the airflow in the climate settings. Have you tried using the light or very light setting? Or is the intensity ok and you just think it's too loud?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 08:06 PM   #3
JustTony
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by __AD__ View Post
Not near my car at the moment, but you can change the default intensity of the airflow in the climate settings. Have you tried using the light or very light setting? Or is the intensity ok and you just think it's too loud?
It seems way too loud and isn't putting out an unreasonable amount of air. I'm running it in manual mode so I don't think the default intensity would impact that but I will check that setting.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 09:48 PM   #4
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
JustTony I'm travelling so do not have access to my car otherwise I would send photos. I had the same issue. I rectified this by de-selecting the 'indirect' box in the air-cond/ventilation settings.

Indirect reduces the output to the main vents and pushes air to other places. You therefore need to crank up the air output to get the desired heating / cooling effect. This creates more noise.

Try this and see if it makes a difference.
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1284.50
      08-31-2021, 06:24 AM   #5
JustTony
Rep

I figured out a workaround for anyone else annoyed by the fan noise.

Indirect mode was on (thanks for that tip) but turning it off didn't make a huge difference.

Turning off Auto mode on the rear climate controls greatly reduced the noise, dropping from 43db to a totally reasonable 35db. I don't usually have anyone in the backseat so I set it to manual and low speed fans.

In the Climate Control settings, under Second Row Of Seats, clear the checkboxes for Default Setting and Automatic.

It's probably a design flaw... The fans are probably underpowered for the GC model and so they have to work way too hard to push air to the backseat.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:

Indirect mode was on (thanks for that tip) but turning it off didn't make a huge difference.

Turning off Auto mode on the rear climate controls greatly reduced the noise, dropping from 43db to a totally reasonable 35db. I don't usually have anyone in the backseat so I set it to manual and low speed fans.

In the Climate Control settings, under Second Row Of Seats, clear the checkboxes for Default Setting and Automatic.

It's probably a design flaw... The fans are probably underpowered for the GC model and so they have to work way too hard to push air to the backseat.
The airflow while using automatic climate control in the newer cars is more dynamic than what you have in your F36... It's been discussed a couple of years ago on 5 series and 7 series threads when the new systems started popping up, but yeah... I hate it too...

One of my favorite features over the last couple of generations in BMW cars has been the ability to adjust the fan speed while in auto mode. In the previous gen cars, like your F36, that fan speed was absolute based on the number of bars you set even in auto mode as it would just adjust the of the air coming out of those vents independent of the fan speed to keep your set temperature. Very simple and straight forward. It still does this now, but the fan speed setting is more of a relative setting to let the system be more efficient. You'll notice that as the car gets up to temp in auto mode the fans will still start to slow down, especially when the sun or outside temperature difference isn't as great. What you had set to 3 bars might scale down to what you would expect for 2 or even 1 bars once this happens.

When I drive at night during the summer, I actually have the opposite problem you describe. I like to have cool air in my face regardless of the season, so I'm putting the now digital slider to blue and the fan speed all the way up while in direct air flow mode. I simply can't get the system to keep blowing hard enough without turning down the temperature further and further throughout my trip.

Driving during a hot sunny day is as you describe, it's really magnified in my X7 because there's a rear passenger vent in the B pillar right next to my ear. I end up closing those vents and also turning up the temperature to slow down the fans more because setting to 1 bar is too loud at times as you describe.

Basically, the "auto", while likely more consistent and efficient, just doesn't seem as "auto"/hands-off as it used to be. I would expect you would get very different measurements after a 20 minute drive at night given like settings. Where I used to keep the cabin temp at 72 all the time while simply adjusting the fan speed where I see fit depending on the situation, I now see myself turning the temp down to 68 with 4 bars when I need more airflow without going to max, or up to 76 with 1 bar when I desire the opposite.

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 08-31-2021 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 02:33 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

Good to know regarding the GC vs my coupe especially if I change my mind on the 2023 and go with a GC vs the coupe. Here in Phoenix with 108 degree plus days the AC fans kick on high in auto for quite some time until the cabin cools down. However, their noise is non-existent given I'm pumping 40% plus volume on the B&W at all times.
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
M8Bimmer1284.50
      07-08-2022, 01:43 AM   #8
Seaford
Permanently confused
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:

By comparison, my 430i:

If you have ventilated seats the motors are noisy…and appear to be mounted in the dashboard somewhere.

Lots of noise for little effect…..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 09:43 AM   #9
Ghostrider641
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M8

Quote:

Backseat ac noise is common in many vehicles. My suburban screams if I turn on the rear ac, which fortunately I almost never need…if you think that’s noisy, wait until you turn on in seat cooling….
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 12:24 PM   #10
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaford View Post
If you have ventilated seats the motors are noisy…and appear to be mounted in the dashboard somewhere. Lots of noise for little effect…..
I cannot hear -- or feel -- anything from my ventilated seats. They're probably working as designed, but it's something I'll ask about on my first service visit.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 12:32 PM   #11
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
I cannot hear -- or feel -- anything from my ventilated seats. They're probably working as designed, but it's something I'll ask about on my first service visit.
Use a tissue it will pull into the top of the seat if they are working. The system acts like suction not blowing.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
hinckley3492.50
      07-08-2022, 12:39 PM   #12
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Use a tissue it will pull into the top of the seat if they are working. The system acts like suction not blowing.
Great idea. Thanks. And ya, I'm aware that the concept is to suck damp air away from your body rather than blow cool air onto it, like most American cars do. Frankly, a/c (and plumbing in general) is one of those things that Americans get better than ROW.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 02:57 PM   #13
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Check to see if the vent on top of the dash is open/fully open, this will take some pressure off the other vents while also helping to distribute the air around the windshield area where most of the heat comes into the vehicle.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0