E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Bluetooth iphone 3g questions

11-11-2008, 06:00 AM   #1
davejerome
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 325

Bluetooth iphone 3g questions

Hi, my brother is about to order a 3 series and the dealer and customer support seem to know nothing about these products.

I should mention he is getting the professional stereo (not idrive) and the USB audio socket.

What exactly is the difference between:
Bluetooth phone prep (644) (£535)
Bluetooth phone prep + telematics (633) (£535)
Bluetooth telephone audio connection (6NF) (£70)

He is also wondering what happens regarding a phone dock / arm rest...

Do you have to have one?
Does the phone go in or under the armrest?
How do you sync without one?

Any pictures of setups ,descriptions and stories of iphone success or anger would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance

Dave
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejerome View Post
Hi, my brother is about to order a 3 series and the dealer and customer support seem to know nothing about these products.

I should mention he is getting the professional stereo (not idrive) and the USB audio socket.

What exactly is the difference between:
Bluetooth phone prep (644) (£535)
Bluetooth phone prep + telematics (633) (£535)
Bluetooth telephone audio connection (6NF) (£70)

He is also wondering what happens regarding a phone dock / arm rest...

Do you have to have one?
Does the phone go in or under the armrest?
How do you sync without one?

Any pictures of setups ,descriptions and stories of iphone success or anger would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance

Dave
First of all the forum as there is loads of iPhone and Bluetooth discussions.

Bluetooth with telematics is only available with Business/Pro Navigation/idrive.

The iPhone will connect to use the phone via Bluetooth only. Music requires the standard aux in socket - music controlled by the ipod/iphone, or the additional USB interface, with an additional 'y' cable from BMW parts to get ipod/iphone to be controlled by the radio/steering wheel buttons

Some owners have had issues with connecting iphones with Bluetooth and via the USB but in the main it should work with no problems.

You don't need the iphone cradle in the armrest for it all to work. If its in the cradle it cannot be connected to the 'Y' cable for music. It doesn't need to be in the cradle or connected to the 'y' cable for the phone to work with Bluetooth.

Think I've covered it. But again to a search on this topic. There is more info here than your dealer will know about.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
Like carrerarsr has mentioned:

644 is if you have a standard radio.
633 is if you have iDrive/Business/Pro Nav.

Both come with a snap-in adaptor holder under the armrest. If you want to have iPod control you'll also need the USB Interface option.

I have an iPhone snap-in adaptor for my iPhone, it keeps it charged and uses the roof external aerial... but that's it, the iPhone connects via bluetooth still.

For music I have a 30Gb iPod 4G classic, that i use a Y-adaptor and the USB interface... which is also under the armrest.

Hope this helps.

+++
Appreciate 0