E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My review of V3 3.1 & JB3 1.1v

11-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

My review of V3 3.1 & JB3 1.1v

Let me start off by saying, both Shiv and Terry are nothing to me. Neither of them have cut me a deal or even offered me beta maps before they were released to the public. So my review is raw.

Covered below is Procede V3 3.1 11-8 map and the JB3 1.1v

March 2007:

Picked up my AW 335i, ordered my AA Xede and loved it at that time. The low end torq was amazing, couldnt love the feeling of being thrown into the seat much more.

May 2007:

Car fish tailed and ran into a tree, car ended up being totalled.

September 2008:

Took over a lease on a 335, within a week I personally picked up my JB3 from Terry. After installing it, and a few minutes of driving I loved how the power had shifted from the low end to the top end with the new chip/tune.
The JB3 has enough low end power to get you moving (3k and below) but once you hit 5k rpm the car hauls ass and will put you back in your seat. Before you know it your at 100 and a second later you'll see 120 flying by...

With the JB3 I never threw a code or anything, power delivery was smooth like stock. Again the power at 5k will make you hold onto the steering wheel with both hands.

A week later I placed an order for the AR Design DP's, got the package within 3 days. Got the DP's installed and right away I had an annoying rattling sound. I thought the DP's were rubbing but after careful review it was my wastegates.

I met with Mr. 5 to do his fix, he did his job but the problem did not go away completely. We assumed it might be the front wastegate that kept rattling.
At the end of the day, my car with the JB3 would rattle all day long, during idle, during acceleration and even when the RPM's would drop. The rattle was so bad I couldnt even hear my turbos spool or the DV's releasing the air.

October 2008:

Came across a killer deal on a V3 PNP, I really suggest to everyone to get the PNP harness whether you have a V3 or JB3. Ive done the pin out procedure many times but the PNP just makes life so much easier.

Put in my V3 and noticed how much freely the car would Rev compared to the JB3. The JB3 had the power but from 1k to 4k rpm it didnt want to Rev, the needle would move slowly and if the pedal was pushed down more the car would just drop to a lower gear and the RPM would jump to 4k.

With the V3 and its lag fix, the car just rev's from 1k to 7k like it should. Its much easier to control the power at low rpm (1-4K).

Another thing I noticed with the V3 is that my wastegate rattling during acceleration is completely gone!! The rattling is for the most part gone at idle... But the car still rattles when the RPM's drop... Shiv is working on this, I think my car has the worst wastegate rattle around. I can also now hear my turbos spool and the DV's releasing the air a nice swoosh sound.

The V3 just like the JB3 pulls amazingly at high rpm's and just doesnt want to stop. I have to mention that, I notified Shiv regarding my wastegate rattle and within a day or two he had created a new map that would solve the problem (downloaded from Vishnu forum). I dont know how the JB3 would do this, I didnt ask Terry if he could help but I cant imagine how much more difficult things would be if Terry sent me new chips to put on the JB3 to test his rattle fix if he had created one.

I doubt there's any evedance behind this (dyno comparisons) but I feel like the V3 has more power at 6-7k rpm than the JB3, other than that both chips/tunes feel the same, plus how much more responsive the V3 is compared to the JB3 between 1-4k rpm. I also noticed the JB3 adapted faster than the V3 did.

Again I'm not taking anyones side, I own both V3 and JB3 right now. But I believe the V3 is better than the JB3 because of things like a REAL lag fix, and wastegate rattle fix.

Personally I see the Procede as a innovator always releasing new features. And the Juice Box is something like a cheaper copy of the original, in this case a Procede. Another way to see it is like comparing American made products to the cheaper Chinese made.... The chinese made product might work and work great but the American product will always be better in one way or another. Just like Hyundai trying to be comparable to a Lexus... The latter will always be a step ahead/better.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Nice write up!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
JOe335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R32-08STI-e92335i

NICE REVIEW!

The wastegate rattle should be brought to the dealer and fixed. Its pretty bad that a Tune has to fix the rattle, there is something wrong with the hardware that has to fixed, i wouldnt leave a tune to fix it via keeping the wastegate closed and such. Im pretty sure that the low end power u feel more of is from the wastegate being closed more. I was reading it somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOe335i View Post
The wastegate rattle should be brought to the dealer and fixed.
Doesn't BMW a lot of the time fix it with a software update some of the time? The less we have to goto the dealer the better

Last edited by jpsimon; 11-10-2008 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
///motorsport3 kid
new kid on the block
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i

they won't fix it with the aftermarket parts he has, at least I know my dealer wouldn't
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
JOe335i
Lieutenant
Rep

My friend had the problem, we removed his Modifications and brought it to the dealer. They upgraded him to a new level software. It still made some ticking. Then after bringing it back, they replaced the actuators and it was perfect.

Put the modifications back on and now the car runs GREAT!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
cassini835
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 135i MT

I picked up an 08 135i MT a few months ago and as soon as it was broken in I ordered a V3 from Shiv. My car has the newer ECU software and there have been a few complications and limp modes thrown, but Shiv has provided almost instant support through this board and on the phone. I am amazed at the customer service I am getting and can't wait for this tune to keep getting better and better, an ability most other tunes do not offer. The power is simply breathtaking as the car feels like a rocket when I switch it to the performance map. There is also the added comfort of hooking my computer up to the usb i ran through the glovebox and logging data to see exactly what the tune is doing and putting any worries to rest.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thats a great review and honest...Not having the rattle probably help the cause too!
Funny that you mentioned it about hearing the turbos spool and the DV releasing pressure, because with these latest updates I loaded (11-4, 11-8) it definitely sounded more pronounce, but then again its cold outside 38 degrees and my car is V3 tuned car is loving the cold air!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #9
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Sounds like you can't go too far wrong with either, but the Procede is very versatile.

It is interesting about the difference you felt in the lower rpm range - I wonder if there is a difference in the designs that would account for this? Obviously you are running a doomsday map, so that may be part of the answer.

By the way, kudos to Shiv and his team for the quick response to your wastegate issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Sounds like you can't go too far wrong with either, but the Procede is very versatile.

It is interesting about the difference you felt in the lower rpm range - I wonder if there is a difference in the designs that would account for this? Obviously you are running a doomsday map, so that may be part of the answer.

By the way, kudos to Shiv and his team for the quick response to your wastegate issue.
Shiv has been really excellent as far as customer service...He and his company has come along way and has been making alot of improvements on the Procede platform that alot of the Procede users already think it pretty perfect to begin with!!! But with each update it seem it gets better and better!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
Brian-313
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

what kind of wastage sound are we talking abt right here ??

did u notice the engine sounds is louder den stock when u have the V3 ??
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
i think this is a GREAT review...

thats why the jb3 is 579 and procede race is 945... jb3 is however, GREAT for the money

v3 is for those who really want to control every aspect of their car (or fine tune it)

if HP is all your looking for (and nothing more) go with the v3 lite in december or jb3 now... jb3 is very similar in HP so you wont lose much
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 12:47 AM   #13
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
NICE REVIEW!

The wastegate rattle should be brought to the dealer and fixed. Its pretty bad that a Tune has to fix the rattle, there is something wrong with the hardware that has to fixed, i wouldnt leave a tune to fix it via keeping the wastegate closed and such. Im pretty sure that the low end power u feel more of is from the wastegate being closed more. I was reading it somewhere.
I took my car to the dealer the first thing they said would be done is the latest software update and then they would actually replace parts. From what I understand the software update does just that controls the wastegates a little differently than before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///motorsport3 kid View Post
they won't fix it with the aftermarket parts he has, at least I know my dealer wouldn't
When I took my car to the dealer, I told the SA that my car was modified and if that would cause any problems with the wastegate rattle. He asked what modifications I had done and I told him some exhaust work... The foreman came and said that it wouldnt cause any problems and gave it the free light. Next morning I got a call saying that the work was more than they had expected. I had modifications all the way up to the turbo (downpipes). They asked me to remove that and bring it back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-313 View Post
what kind of wastage sound are we talking abt right here ??

did u notice the engine sounds is louder den stock when u have the V3 ??
If you youtube 335i wastegate you will see what I'm referring to...
I drove the car for 20 minutes before installing the V3 at another forum members house. I have to say the V3 made the spool/swoosh sound from the DV slightly louder.

I have to say hearing the turbos spool up makes me burn more fuel, because every time I drive I'm always building boost really fast and letting off to hear the DV open...

After a weekend long of beating up the car in the canyons for 2-3 hours then doing pulls from 60-100... I'm seeing 21.5MPG with the V3.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #14
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Thanks for the kind words guys. We really appreciate it. We're definitely trying to keep up with customer needs. Sometimes we'll hit, sometimes we'll miss. But we're not going to stop trying.

cheers
shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #15
munters
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 335XI AT Dakota Black M

Quote:
NICE REVIEW!

You're a good copy cat as well... it's nearly one to one what Terry wrote in the other forum.

SFvalley really good to see once someone can tell the reality (installing both tunes one after the other is the only way.)!

And by the way nice to see you back on the forum since a few weeks.
      11-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #16
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Great, unbiased review of the JB3 and PROcede v3.1, SfValley335i!!! Like I've always said, you get what you pay for (although now the PROcede v3.1 Rev II is much more competitively priced, much closer to the JB3's price). I think many ppl who tune their cars want the option of user-defined controls and specific fixes (to specific issues/problems) that the PROcede v3.1 provides. Having more features and user-defined options and controls via easy-to-use computer software and piggyback connectivity are a huge benefit, imho.

For those ppl who just want more HP/TQ without ever touching anything else (a sort of "fire and forget" if you will), then the JB3 is a good choice as well. I'm glad things worked out for the OP.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #17
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

I remember a while back the OP was in opposition to the Procede and pretty much bashed it, I am glad he gave the Procede a try! He has tried both tunes and it seems like he is liking the V3 because it benefits his situation and needs like SFgator stated...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #18
JOe335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by munters View Post
You're a good copy cat as well... it's nearly one to one what Terry wrote in the other forum.

SFvalley really good to see once someone can tell the reality (installing both tunes one after the other is the only way.)!

And by the way nice to see you back on the forum since a few weeks.
I am not a copy cat. That is what has to be done to correct the issue, my good friend had the same issue, its a hardware issue, can be helped with software but at the end has to be fixed with the correct working parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #19
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Drive safe, don't total this one...

I agree with the advice to get your wastegate actuators replaced. Take out all mods and get them fixed. Check on sparkplugs and HPFP while it's in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #20
JOe335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
I took my car to the dealer the first thing they said would be done is the latest software update and then they would actually replace parts. From what I understand the software update does just that controls the wastegates a little differently than before...

Yup, the software changes when the wastegate is closed and such. But in my friends case that didnt help, as it does help for some people. After they replcaed the non working parts, it was fixed. some people might even need to go as far as replacing the whole turbos to really fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #21
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup, the software changes when the wastegate is closed and such. But in my friends case that didnt help, as it does help for some people. After they replcaed the non working parts, it was fixed. some people might even need to go as far as replacing the whole turbos to really fix the issue.
I had some slight rattle... but after updating to the latest PROocede map that rattle was killed and hasn't returned. You don't always have to go to the dealer... i wouldn't have gone to the dealer either way.. never have never will... so for people like me this is a great solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #22
JOe335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
I had some slight rattle... but after updating to the latest PROocede map that rattle was killed and hasn't returned. You don't always have to go to the dealer... i wouldn't have gone to the dealer either way.. never have never will... so for people like me this is a great solution.
i agree, for a slight rattle this would be a great fix, but once it gets worse and such i dont think this gix is ideal.

But i would feel better sleeping at nite knowing that the problem was fixed with new parts by BMW to make sure it doesnt do it even in factory trim as the car is suppose to be.
Appreciate 0