BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

11-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Details...

I love the muscular lines on my car, and I think the Jerez black does an awesome job of really showing off what a beautiful car it is. I'm determined to keep it looking show car clean.

After much research, I have ordered a jar of Zymol CONCOURS wax.

"The Zymol Concours Glaze Wax was originally created for the founders of Zymol for their personal cars. Now this specially designed glaze wax is finally available to the public. Now you can have your car, truck, van or SUV can have the same quality gloss and shine like the vehicle just came out of the showroom floor. The secret is in its special Carnauba formula combined with a delicate balance of white and yellow Carnauba that provides a highly visible increase in depth and clarity over other waxes in its class and also protects your vehicle from any outdoor contaminants and reduces paint corrosion. You truly get what you pay for with the Zymol Concours Glaze Wax. Discover the difference between the ordinary wax and the top quality wax."

I also ordered the HD Cleanse pre wax cleaner. From what I read, the car should be "clayed" prior to the HD Cleanse, but I can't see needing to clay a week old car.

What are all you guys using to detail your cars?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Isn't that over-the-top expensive? I know they make some waxes up to a few k for a jar... I use more pedestrian things like Menzerna (polishes) and the old standard P21S. Poorboys also makes a nice synthetic for wintertime use.

A lot more in the detailing forum (where this will likely get moved.)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I love the muscular lines on my car, and I think the Jerez black does an awesome job of really showing off what a beautiful car it is. I'm determined to keep it looking show car clean.

"The Zymol Concours Glaze Wax was originally created for the founders of Zymol for their personal cars. Now this specially designed glaze wax is finally available to the public. Now you can have your car, truck, van or SUV can have the same quality gloss and shine like the vehicle just came out of the showroom floor. The secret is in its special Carnauba formula combined with a delicate balance of white and yellow Carnauba that provides a highly visible increase in depth and clarity over other waxes in its class and also protects your vehicle from any outdoor contaminants and reduces paint corrosion. You truly get what you pay for with the Zymol Concours Glaze Wax. Discover the difference between the ordinary wax and the top quality wax."

I also ordered the HD Cleanse pre wax cleaner. From what I read, the car should be "clayed" prior to the HD Cleanse, but I can't see needing to clay a week old car.

I've been using Zymol since about 1999 on two black E39s, a blue E92 (RIP), a pair of GTIs that I also had along the way (hey, sometimes you just need to have a second car, right?), and friends' cars. I haven't had a chance to detail the M3 yet. I've used Carbon most of the time, but scored a deal on a sampler, so have also used Atlantique ($128/oz at retail), Vintage, and Destiny.

I have always found Zymol waxes go on easily, shine beautifully, and last for-fricking-EVER, even through a New England winter. I like HD Cleanse, too. I typically use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, but use the HD Cleanse for tougher areas.

I agree...no way you need clay on a brand new finish, unless you've been parked in an industrial zone under a tree leaking sap and been dive-bombed by birds.

Enjoy your new "carsmetics".
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Quote:

The only reason some people recommend claying the vehicle before applying a wax or sealant is because of how your vehicle was transported to you... It actually gathers a tremendous amount of contamination. Check out the detailing thread of others claying their vehicle once they received it. Usually I clay polish then use the paint cleanser. And it is highly recommended to use a PC or any other machine polisher to get the best out of that paint cleanser. The wax you are about to use also requires that you prep the vehicle correctly. Or else you will simply not get the full protection and mirror finish you want.

If you need help before using the wax simply ask in the Detailing section of the forum. I am also here to help, a PM away.

Oh and many of the people on this forum from what I have seen use chemical Guys Jet Seal 109. And then apply a high quality wax. I use Jet Seal 109 and follow up with Swissvax Concorso-->that is only for my vehicles. I love Swissvax and many of my clients do too. Here is a website that offers some of their waxes:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...TS&Category=29
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Quote:

New - I'd bet your new M3 DOES need a good clay bar session. Seriously, during transit and then sitting in the open weather in your dealers back lot - lot's of crap builds into the clear coat. I clayed mine the 1st night I got it home and the clay bar started white and was brown by the time I had finished...run your (clean) hand along your paint....does it feel "babys butt" smooth...if not you probably need to clay bar it
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
hawkeye-se
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 JB Coupe

New cars ALWAYS need clay. BMW does a better job than most (my car was relatively clean), but it definitely was necessary.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
I haven't had time to detail mine, yet, but did do some quicky work on the hood. I realized that there was a significant amount of junk on it, and a quick clay was not going to do the job.

I recommend you make your first detail of the car a balls-to-the-walls, all-out affair so as to make future work much easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Signes: The concours isn't one of the thousand dollar waxes... but it does retail for $175. My local auto store is getting it for me for $140.

I have used the Carbon wax for many years and love it. I'm hoping the concours will take things to the next level. Folks that have used it claim there is a noticeable difference.

So if I have to clay... which CLAY and lube do I need to hunt down?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Big bucks waxes

I've been using Malm's Extreme Concentrate carnumba ($125/jar); it's nice, but the big bucks waxes are a little like ethe xpensive cosmetics that m any women use, IMO. They may be better than cheaper stuff, but not THAT much better. Big profit center for the companies. BTW, there is a dedicated detailing forum here.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #10
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

wiggidy wax

i leave that stuff to the professionals like xcellere.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
MBrown1003
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Signes: The concours isn't one of the thousand dollar waxes... but it does retail for $175. My local auto store is getting it for me for $140.

I have used the Carbon wax for many years and love it. I'm hoping the concours will take things to the next level. Folks that have used it claim there is a noticeable difference.

When I realized how much work it is to do wash>clay>polish>wax, I started getting creative. Now, my full-boat detailing routine starts with VERY soapy water (put in extra car wash product). Soap up a section of the car. Use the soapy water as the lubricant for the clay. Once that section is perfectly smooth, rinse, and move on to the next section. Great results, and less work -- nice combo.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
From what I read, the car should be "clayed" prior to the HD Cleanse, but I can't see needing to clay a week old car.
You wouldn't believe all of the contaminants that were on the surface of my car, and it spent minimal time from the factory to me. I drove it straight home, washed it and began with the clay. I have used Pinnacle and Mothers clay and like Mothers a little better so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92

I use the Mothers clay bar and their FX Synwax. It's reasonably priced, applies and removes very easily, and I defy anyone to show me that their $125 an ounce wax creates a better or deeper shine. They also have the new Power Ball for Paint and you can have the wax applied in 15 minutes. I'm talking a nice, thorough job too, not just half-assed. I was scared to death the first time I saw it being used, but now I use it all the time. No swirls, quick...can't beat it.

I know, I know, you pay for what you get and all that, but if you know the chemistry behind the high dollar waxes and the lower dollar waxes, you'll never pony up for the expensive stuff again.

I don't work for any wax company or anything of the sort, but I bet if any of you tried Mothers FX wax, you'd be amazed.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
MBrown1003
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthatch View Post
I use the Mothers clay bar and their FX Synwax. It's reasonably priced, applies and removes very easily, and I defy anyone to show me that their $125 an ounce wax creates a better or deeper shine. They also have the new Power Ball for Paint and you can have the wax applied in 15 minutes. I'm talking a nice, thorough job too, not just half-assed. I was scared to death the first time I saw it being used, but now I use it all the time. No swirls, quick...can't beat it.

I know, I know, you pay for what you get and all that, but if you know the chemistry behind the high dollar waxes and the lower dollar waxes, you'll never pony up for the expensive stuff again.

I don't work for any wax company or anything of the sort, but I bet if any of you tried Mothers FX wax, you'd be amazed.
So you like the Power Ball for Paint? I'd wondered about that...don't know anyone else who's used it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:

From what I have seen, the only main difference between waxes is their longevity. The cheaper waxes look great, waxing in general looks good, but they just don't last as long.
      11-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #16
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
So you like the Power Ball for Paint? I'd wondered about that...don't know anyone else who's used it.
Yeah, it really works well. I was really afraid of it to be honest. But I've seen it used on black cars and there is no trace of swirls or any other problems. So I got one and use it all the time.

And when you use the FX wax with it, that wax dries sort of clear instead of white. So if you get a little in a crack that you miss, it's not a big white blob, it's clear and less noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #17
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
From what I have seen, the only main difference between waxes is their longevity. The cheaper waxes look great, waxing in general looks good, but they just don't last as long.
That's why I was recommending the FX Syn wax....it seems to last forever. Actually what I do is use the Syn wax about 2 times per year. Then in the meantime I use the FX Spraywax when I'm drying the car or just looking for a quick detail.

I can only say to try it and then post your results. It's a what, $15 gamble? I'll bet you'll be pleased.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #18
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
wiggidy wax

i leave that stuff to the professionals like xcellere.
LOL! Funny comment.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 02:19 AM   #19
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

For clay I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you contact FMINUS on the forum. He has the most durable yellow clay bars that are imported from Canada (and are only found in Canada). I use them specifically for my vehicle or any "new" ones that come on over. For lubricant I love Adams detailing spray more than Chemical Guys purple one...

And Concours is not a thousand dollars wax but I mean I say use the "thousand dollars waxes" only if you are going to be heading to car shows. Other than that most people use thousand dollar waxes on vehicles they do not use as DDs or almost never drive at all... Well that is my experience with those so far. BUT, hey it is your M3 and heck if i had that wax i would use it on my baby too.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 02:23 AM   #20
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I admit that most waxes wont give you that phenomenal appearance. IT IS ALL IN THE POLISHING! The sealant is important too. All the wax does is collect dust haha. BUT it does provide an extra protection over the sealant and adds more in depth glow to the vehicle especially on black vehicles. I mean they are expensive because of the durability and contents it possesses. The shine also lasts much longer... However, one needs to remember that to use a high quality wax one needs to understand how to apply it! Or else it would just be a waste.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 02:24 AM   #21
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLap View Post
New - I'd bet your new M3 DOES need a good clay bar session. Seriously, during transit and then sitting in the open weather in your dealers back lot - lot's of crap builds into the clear coat. I clayed mine the 1st night I got it home and the clay bar started white and was brown by the time I had finished...run your (clean) hand along your paint....does it feel "babys butt" smooth...if not you probably need to clay bar it
Yep -- I'm going to clay it soon.
      11-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #22
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

I'm going pro detail... found what they say is the best in the Bay area. He ain't cheap, but they say he's really good.
Appreciate 0