E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Scored rod bearing

08-21-2021, 08:48 AM   #1
RichardGoller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Scored rod bearing

Would you put this back in your car? Im afraid that putting in new bearings will do more harm than just reusing the old ones, except for this one. Plus BMW bearings are super expensive and I'm not sure about using the Mahle ones I ordered instead of genuine BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

How many miles on that bearing, how do the other ones look, and how more much life do you expect to see from the car? These would all weigh into my decision.

If all the other ones are good and that’s the only one with a score in it, which is just a sign of a dirt particle getting caught in it (this doesn’t make it a failing bearing) well I’d likely reuse it (depending on mileage on the bearings now and how much longer I intended to own the car.)

But for example if that bearing has more than 120k miles and I wanted to get another 100k out of the car I’d replace them. Just because you are already in there.

So for me there is a balance between bearing mileage and projected future ownership that I think you should consider
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
RichardGoller
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
How many miles on that bearing, how do the other ones look, and how more much life do you expect to see from the car? These would all weigh into my decision.

If all the other ones are good and that’s the only one with a score in it, which is just a sign of a dirt particle getting caught in it (this doesn’t make it a failing bearing) well I’d likely reuse it (depending on mileage on the bearings now and how much longer I intended to own the car.)

But for example if that bearing has more than 120k miles and I wanted to get another 100k out of the car I’d replace them. Just because you are already in there.

So for me there is a balance between bearing mileage and projected future ownership that I think you should consider
The car has 110k. I have a brand new set of Mahle rod bearings, the genuine BMW ones are just too expensive, 3x the price of the mahle ones. Would you be confident in using them. I mean the pistons and most parts are made by them, but I would assume the BMW branded ones have stricter quality control
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #4
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Mahle parts are probably of the highest quality aftermarket you can get. I wouldn't hesitate if you're certain they're original Mahle and not ebay chinesium bearings. Don't want to have to redo this job because of using a bad bearing
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 12:25 PM   #5
RichardGoller
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Mahle parts are probably of the highest quality aftermarket you can get. I wouldn't hesitate if you're certain they're original Mahle and not ebay chinesium bearings. Don't want to have to redo this job because of using a bad bearing
Nah, Mahle parts ordered from germany...but it says they are made in Brazil. Should that be a concern?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 02:54 PM   #6
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
As long as the plastigage is happy, I'd run the Mahle bearings