BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Private Pilot's License

08-19-2021, 05:49 AM   #1
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

Does anyone here have their pilot's license, or in the process of going through flight school?
I have been researching this through the years and have just now taken the initial steps to follow through with taking the written exam and the FAA medical exam/physical.

I don't really see myself flying all that much if I do follow through. I figure having the know-how and being licensed would serve as a personal achievement, you know, a bucket list of sorts, and also come in handy if SHTF.
It's like when I learned how to ride a motorcycle at 45. It's a personal achievement and I have a (2) bikes, I do ride them on occasion, and if SHTF, the bike is an option.

As far as things I've consider doing once I've gotten the license.
I would probably rent a Cirrus single prop and fly to Jekyll Island, GA as they have an airstrip there.
I spend a ton of time there every summer.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 06:12 AM   #2
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
I fly for a US airline and there are several other pilots on here. flybigjet is one. He also flies commercially.

The two most important things of learning to fly are money and paperwork. What else do you want to know?
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      08-19-2021, 06:13 AM   #3
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Also, Sara can help you find more pilots to talk with.
Appreciate 12
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
kscarrol8912.00
King Rudi13154.00
M5Rick60089.00
cmyx6go15762.50
Sara5791.00
S1nner126.00
Tommy-G4490.50
Dang3r12512.00
Buug95917411.00
upstatedoc7561.50
      08-19-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
I fly for a US airline and there are several other pilots on here. flybigjet is one. He also flies commercially.

The two most important things of learning to fly are money and paperwork. What else do you want to know?
Thanks!
Is it required to maintain certain number of flight hours each year to maintain a license?
Renting vs owning a personal aircraft, and expected insurance
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 07:32 AM   #5
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGoGoMoto View Post
Thanks!
Is it required to maintain certain number of flight hours each year to maintain a license?
No minimum requirement to keep your license. You do need to have 3 takeoffs and 3 landings in 90 days to allowed to carry passengers. That can be knocked out in 1 hour of flight time.

If you want to maintain proficiency, and not just meet the minimum requirements, you'll want to fly a couple of hours a week.

Look into the Sport Pilot license. It is basically a trimmed down version of the Private Pilot license.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aviation-int...sport-aircraft
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 08:20 AM   #6
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Smile

Quote:
Also, Sara can help you find more pilots to talk with.
Didn't she mean pilots posting "I don't talk with em, ..."?

And by the way (back to the subject! ), when I saw them post her as a pilot I did think: "How many pilots does it take to qualify for the license?" , as I had seen them mention she was collecting pilots before ("many pilots" = "many paws"?).

Last edited by No one; 08-19-2021 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Couldn't help adding a note.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #7
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!
No minimum requirement to keep your license. You do need to have 3 takeoffs and 3 landings in 90 days to allowed to carry passengers. That can be knocked out in 1 hour of flight time.

If you want to maintain proficiency, and not just meet the minimum requirements, you'll want to fly a couple of hours a week.

Look into the Sport Pilot license. It is basically a trimmed down version of the Private Pilot license.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aviation-int...sport-aircraft
I had no idea about the sport pilot's license. Thanks so much for pointing me in this direction. I'm going to read up on this and may have a few more questions.

I want to be well prepared on everything I might run into..all checkboxes ticked before I dive into this.

Hidden things.

My husband told me to check my life insurance to make sure I have all the check boxes covered if I'm piloting and have an incident.

He's not trying to talk me out of going forward, but he is expressing his worry as he's 10 years my Sr. and has no experience in this to offer guidance as he does with everything else.

I want to make sure I've made a responsible decision to go through with this.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 08:37 AM   #8
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The killer expense for owning an airplane is the annual inspections. Much like a boat, it is cheaper to rent if you're not flying at least weekly. Some people go into flying clubs with several planes for use by members, and there are always fractional ownership opportunities where a group of people buy a plane and share the maintenance/expenses. Of course, these arrangements may be selective for new pilots with minimal flight hours in their log books. (I had a newly-licensed co-worker who was refused membership into a Cessna 172 ownership group until he logged more hours in an airport rental 172.)

My family owned several airplanes over the years, but I had no interest in flying despite having free access to planes for nothing more than the cost of fuel.

FYI, I have driven past the Jekyll Island (and St. Simons Island) airports several times on visits to the Golden Isles.....
      08-19-2021, 08:41 AM   #9
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My husband told me to check my life insurance to make sure I have all the check boxes covered if I'm piloting and have an incident.
AOPA offers insurance that will pay him well in the event of an accident.

Please don't ask how I know.....
      08-19-2021, 08:43 AM   #10
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
AOPA offers insurance that will pay him well in the event of an accident.

Please don't ask how I know.....
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00
      08-19-2021, 08:45 AM   #11
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The killer expense for owning an airplane is the annual inspections. Much like a boat, it is cheaper to rent if you're not flying at least weekly. Some people go into flying clubs with several planes for use by members, and there are always fractional ownership opportunities where a group of people buy a plane and share the maintenance/expenses. Of course, these arrangements may be selective for new pilots with minimal flight hours in their log books. (I had a newly-licensed co-worker who was refused membership into a Cessna 172 ownership group until he logged more hours in an airport rental 172.)

My family owned several airplanes over the years, but I had no interest in flying despite having free access to planes for nothing more than the cost of fuel.

FYI, I have driven past the Jekyll Island (and St. Simons Island) airports several times on visits to the Golden Isles.....
Damn,

This is what I was looking for.
Wait till the old man reads this….
I can hear him now..
nope, nope, not buying one..
Had no idea about flight clubs.

Man, it's great to have you guys around!

Thanks so much!
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #12
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:

This is great advice and info!

I took a couple lessons last year for the first time and definitely would like to have a license to use when I retire in 4 years ( most likely)

I considered owning a small sea plane when that time comes, but with my other expensive hobbies... wasn't sure how I would manage it all on a fixed budget after hanging up the uniform.

Partial ownership of a plane I would probably use approximately every 6 weeks or so is a much more reasonable ( and affordable) option for me to consider.

Thanks again!
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      08-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #13
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

I took flying lessons a couple years ago up to the point of being ready to do my 1st solo. Got way to busy with work and then Covid hit. I'll get back in the seat at some point but I'm just still too slammed with work. I chose the private license over sport since I don't want to be restricted on airports or night flying.

I will tell you this, it takes an extreme amount of time and shouldn't be taken lightly. Think of it like college. Lots of studying/homework and you'll want to plan on at least 2 and preferably 3 lessons a week. The heavier you get into it the less flight hours it will take. If you need 40 hours for your license it could take 60 if stretched over time. I was paying $140 per hour and trying to do 2 hours per flight due to time constraints.

The airport I was learning at rents out the Cessna 172 for $115 per flight hour and even would let you take it on weekend trips. The 152 was even cheaper. Way better financially than owning. They also have a true flight sim to further reduce costs and it can count towards some hours. Nice for bad weather days.

Have fun and good luck!!!
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      08-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #14
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

As a pilot for a major US airline and a flight instructor, I encourage you to pursue your pilot's license. As other pilots here have said, it takes quite a bit of money to get your pilot's license. As mentioned by a poster above, a Sport Pilot License is somewhat cheaper but there are quite a few limits on what you can do as a pilot (airports, airspace you can fly in, and flying with passengers etc.).

My first bit of advice would be to go on an introductory flight if you haven't already to see if it's something you want to pursue because flying small planes is quite a bit different than flying in airliners. Another thing to be aware of is that if you don't fly that often, you will spend a lot of time repeating stuff which will take more time and money.

Now prepare for takeoff!

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615280.00
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
M5Rick60089.00
      08-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #15
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Remember to get all of your supplies from Aircraft Spruce.... I heard they have a really nice shop in Peachtree City..... and a cool BMW enthusiast does product support for them.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00
      08-19-2021, 11:29 AM   #16
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

If you think *boats* are expensive....... you haven't seen ANYTHING until you get into aviation.

Buying the airplane is the cheapest part of the equation.

Last edited by flybigjet; 08-19-2021 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
vreihen1615280.00
      08-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #17
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

I worked as a private aircraft mechanic and a couple of clients were flight instructors. Best advice I heard was start with gliders. Those fundamentals will carry through everything.
      08-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #18
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Best community ever. I'm reading every comment and taking it into consideration. You guys are great!
I never thought about a sea plane!

Looks like there are tons of options AND expenses.
Also thinking about safety factors as I will be flying over people. I've sat back and watched planes fly over the backyard and realized that it's a ton of responsibility to keep that thing hanging in the air an off the roof of my home.

Tons of respect to the pilots and trainees here.

I guess I'll start by becoming a passenger of a small private aircraft. I figure I have to see if I can stomach being in a small craft before I try to train to fly one.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #19
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

For me I had already decided, when Im retire into few years I will stop flying by myself.
Before I'd started my career I had never the intention to go by PPL, but I wish you good luck.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      08-19-2021, 02:47 PM   #20
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I guess I'll start by becoming a passenger of a small private aircraft. I figure I have to see if I can stomach being in a small craft before I try to train to fly one.
Most small airports have instructors who will take people up for an hour, as either an introduction or sightseeing. Check with your local airport's web site (or FBO office) to see if you can get a ride this weekend if you really want to go flying.

Since you're comfortable riding a motorcycle, you already have an advantage over a lot of student pilots from what I've been told. Many are supposedly scared to bank a plane to turn! An instructor told one of my motorcycle-riding siblings that he was one of the few students he never had to tell to bank harder. (Of course, my brother intentionally made the instructor yell at him for turning the yoke to steer on taxiways while steering with the rudder pedals.)

Back when I was in elementary school, I remember my old man taking one of my distant relatives up for a short flight. It took him 35 miles to slowly turn around without banking to get back to the airport, because the kid, um, lost his lunch every time the plane banked the slightest bit from level.

One thing worth mentioning is that I have beat two of the family's planes from NY/NJ to FL driving my car. When those magic three letters pop up (IFR) on a long trip, all bets are off. My $0.02 is that you are probably better off driving from ATL to Jekyll, because the weather can be a factor if you absolutely *need* to be back...like with the clock running on an hourly rental plane.....
      08-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #21
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Most small airports have instructors who will take people up for an hour, as either an introduction or sightseeing. Check with your local airport's web site (or FBO office) to see if you can get a ride this weekend if you really want to go flying.

Since you're comfortable riding a motorcycle, you already have an advantage over a lot of student pilots from what I've been told. Many are supposedly scared to bank a plane to turn! An instructor told one of my motorcycle-riding siblings that he was one of the few students he never had to tell to bank harder. (Of course, my brother intentionally made the instructor yell at him for turning the yoke to steer on taxiways while steering with the rudder pedals.)

Back when I was in elementary school, I remember my old man taking one of my distant relatives up for a short flight. It took him 35 miles to slowly turn around without banking to get back to the airport, because the kid, um, lost his lunch every time the plane banked the slightest bit from level.

One thing worth mentioning is that I have beat two of the family's planes from NY/NJ to FL driving my car. When those magic three letters pop up (IFR) on a long trip, all bets are off. My $0.02 is that you are probably better off driving from ATL to Jekyll, because the weather can be a factor if you absolutely *need* to be back...like with the clock running on an hourly rental plane.....
I love this comment!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00
      08-19-2021, 07:46 PM   #22
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
MsGoGo is really Aunt Esther!