BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > PTF / BM3 is GAME for adding powershifting for S55 6MT cars – do you want it?!?!

08-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
PTF / BM3 is GAME for adding powershifting for S55 6MT cars – do you want it?!?!

Hey buddies –

I reached out to the ProTuningFreaks team about software features to enable (Power Shifting) / (Flat Foot Shifting) with 6MT S55 cars.

If you're unfamiliar, here's the gist:
Right now, if you're shifting traditionally (being kind to your clutch & gearbox) - you disengage the throttle, which shuts the throttle body, which results in the bypass / blowoff valve discharging boost so you don't choke the turbo.

Then, when you're in the next gear, you experience an acceleration bog because your engine has to re-pressurize the charge system (build boost) before all your ponies wake up and kick.

The benefit of Powahshifting / flat foot shifting is:

You get to keep your foot on the throttle
The throttlebody doesn't shut, so boost stays on
The software adjust timing and/or redline so you're not over-revving your engine while not in gear.
You shift into the next gear, drop the clutch and you're at full torque and power in gear
The software does this by recognizing the clutch has been released, and instantly advances timing to the norm / releases low redline and you're flying.

Lastly, don't take it from me, here's an "Engineering Explained" video on modern tech w/ manual transmission cars - using the brand new Cadillac as a demo vehicle:

Screen shot of the email from PTF here. Let's let them know we want this!!!!
Attached Images

Instagram: @TouringM3
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringM3 View Post
Hey buddies –

I reached out to the ProTuningFreaks team about software features to enable (Power Shifting) / (Flat Foot Shifting) with 6MT S55 cars.

Right now, if you're shifting traditionally (being kind to your clutch & gearbox) - you disengage the throttle, which shuts the throttle body, which results in the bypass / blowoff valve discharging boost so you don't choke the turbo.

Then, when you're in the next gear, you experience an acceleration bog because your engine has to re-pressurize the charge system (build boost) before all your ponies wake up and kick.

The software adjust timing and/or redline so you're not over-revving your engine while not in gear.
You shift into the next gear, drop the clutch and you're at full torque and power in gear
The software does this by recognizing the clutch has been released, and instantly advances timing to the norm / releases low redline and you're flying.

Lastly, don't take it from me, here's an "Engineering Explained" video on modern tech w/ manual transmission cars - using the brand new Cadillac as a demo vehicle:

My goodness that would be fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT LBB

If I could code only this (and pass Cali smog) I’d totally go for it. I don’t currently have an engine tune and am not likely to get one for some time.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #4
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringM3 View Post
Hey buddies –

This is not how the S55 works…there is no BOV or Recirc Valve on an S55.

The computer actually opens the throttle plate 100% during shifts blowing the air through the engine and into the turbo. All without adding fuel so there is no combustion.

The air flowing through the engine helps keeps the turbos spooled for when you next go on the throttle. This is very noticeable if you go from efficient to sport+

FFS won't add much to your accelerations. Better technique will.

Excerpt from the S55 manual.
Attached Images