BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-02-2021, 03:24 AM   #1
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Traveling from Belgium to Italy for summer holiday.

First stop in Switzerland for 2 days. Left with a full charge, arrived with an empty battery at the hotel because I could charge my car on destination. Average 8.9 l/100 km.

Did some small local trips on all electric and charged 100% before leaving to Italy.

Then we drove from Berner Oberland to Tuscany. Had to take the Süsten pass and due to traffic chose to take the Gotthard pass instead of the tunnel.

Susten pass was covers in heavy fog with real low visibility. Gave an extra dimension. I was glad I had the gps to show me where the hairpins where. Saw a skilift (Bahn in German) with kind of an unfortunate name.

Gothard is a nice road to drive, if there is no Dutch idiot in front on you trying to pull his 5 meter caravan with a car with 100 hp up a 2000 meter pass …

Got 30% charge from the top op Susten down and 25% from the Gotthard. Put it is sport mode and it was able to keep me at a descent speed just by energy recuperation for large parts. I did need to brake when steeper descents and really steep I put it in M/S and used the paddles to shift down for engine braking.

I drove up the Gotthard in electric individual where possible because it was fully charged and I wanted to use the generated power going down again. Up to 50 km/h power was enough to follow traffic with ACC. With higher speeds the ICE was necessary.

Cornering on the mountain roads was really good. I do have integral active steering that should make a difference. And sport driving mode and gear is perfect driving up.

To reach the rented house in Tuscany we needed to take a short 27 % down Hill road. Tested hill descent control, works well. I didn't think this option would come in handy but it did for this piece of road.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
volodp199.50
45e21153.00
cellarrat519.50
Auricom4364.50
sygazelle11487.50
      08-02-2021, 05:50 AM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I have a bip and go for French toll boots since 5 years. A swapped it for a new one since it was 5 years old and that is about the time it should be changed (still worked) but also to be able to use it in Italy.

Worked immediately in France. Kind of a gamble to use it in Italy directly on the 30 km/h pass trough gate with a huge traffic jam on the other gates. But it worked and saved me a lot of time.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 05:55 AM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Hill descent control is without energy recuperation. Only the normal brakes slow the car down.
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      08-02-2021, 06:55 AM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Looks like a great trip! Enjoy and be safe.
X5 45e1090.50
      08-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

First stop in Switzerland van 2 days. Left with a full charge, arrived with an empty battery at the hotel because I could charge my car on destination. Average 8.9 l/100 km. Did some small trip on all electric.

The we drove from Berner Oberland to Tuscany. Had to take the Süsten pass and due to traffic chose to take the Gotthard pass instead of the tunnel.

Susten pass was covers in heavy fog with real low visibility. Gave an extra dimension. I was glad I had the gps to show me where the hairpins where. Saw a skilift (Bahn in German) with kind of an unfortunate name.

Gothard is a nice road to drive, if there is no Dutch idiot in front on you trying to pull his 5 meter caravan with a car with 100 hp up a 2000 meter pass …

Got 30% charge from the top op Susten down and 25% from the Gotthard. Put it is sport mode and it was able to keep me at a descent speed just by energy recuperation.

I drove up the Gotthard in electric individual where possible because it was fully charged and I wanted to use the generated power going down again. Up to 50 km/h power was enough to follow traffic with ACC. With higher speeds the ICE was necessary.

Cornering on the mountain roads was really good. I do have integral active steering that should make a difference. And sport driving mode and gear is perfect driving up.

To reach the rented house in Tuscany we needed to take a short 27 % down Hill road. Tested hill descent control, works well. I didn't think this option would come in handy but it did for this piece of road.
Great trip and interesting trip notes and accompanying images: enjoy Tuscany but protect yourself from the hot Tuscan sun - I see a lot of preconditioning in your X5's near future! Have fun!
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #6
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

What is the -15' figure to the right of 27%?
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobsync View Post
I think the 15 is the degree angle, and the 27% is what is referred to as the grade.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-02-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobsync View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Slope_quadrant.svg

In Europe roads are described in % and not in degrees. The 15 are the degrees. Like mentioned in the post above.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #9
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
Quote:

First stop in Switzerland van 2 days. Left with a full charge, arrived with an empty battery at the hotel because I could charge my car on destination. Average 8.9 l/100 km. Did some small trip on all electric.

The we drove from Berner Oberland to Tuscany. Had to take the Süsten pass and due to traffic chose to take the Gotthard pass instead of the tunnel.

Got 30% charge from the top op Susten down and 25% from the Gotthard. Put it is sport mode and it was able to keep me at a descent speed just by energy recuperation.

Great trip and interesting trip notes and accompanying images: enjoy Tuscany but protect yourself from the hot Tuscan sun - I see a lot of preconditioning in your X5's near future! Have fun!
Yes a lot of preconditioning indeed. So comfortable when it's really hot outside.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #10
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Some charging observations.

I have the BMW charge and Shell Recharge cards. I try to use the BMW card when I can because I have 60 euro credit by driving electric and charging a lot.

I Switzerland and Italy I saw a lot of public charging possibilities in the app but not always working.

In Spitz I saw 1/4 chargers used in the app Went there. One was taken. However the others were unoccupied but private for a local electric car rental company and the last free one was only with a super charger cable.

In Thun I was able to charge in a coverde car park. Nice parking spots but I needed to scan a QR code and enter my credit card on a website.

I was able to charge in the hotel parking in Interlaken over night twice. There was another 45e and a model X, not parked on the charging spot when I entered. I don't know if charging etiquette dictates that one should clear the charging spot when the car is fully charged?

In Arezzo the chargers were all out of the city centre. I parked in a large public parking near the centre and found out it had 4 charging spots and it worked with my BMW card. None of my apps showed this location (BMW, Shell, Chargemap). Left with 90% charge after visiting the city for 4 hours.

Plugged in twice while shopping in a big mall in Montevarchi but didn't get it to work with both of my cards. Left it plugged in anyway because it had 9 nice big parking spots that were all unoccupied.

With the initial full charge at home I have charged and emptied my HV battery 4 times plus some significant recuperation by driving down the mountains (around 50% charge).

Appreciate 2
volodp199.50
      08-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Preconditioning when the car is parked in full sun on a parking for 4 hours is really comfortable. So I always want to have enough battery to do this. I try to be around 25% charge when parking the car.

In adaptive it tries to empty the battery on arrival.

So first I switched to battery hold but I don't really like this drive mode.

So what I do now is:

If I have 25% I switch to sport mode if the roads are good or sport individual (everything on comfort) if the roads are bad. Like this the car uses the ICE and not the HV battery and also charges a bit while braking / going down hill. It would be nice by the way to be able to regulate regeneration with paddles. Alternative is adaptive mode and gear in M/S to keep the ICE running. Or setting battery hold on 30%. But like mentioned I don't like this drive mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #12
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:

First stop in Switzerland for 2 days. Left with a full charge, arrived with an empty battery at the hotel because I could charge my car on destination. Average 8.9 l/100 km.

Did some small local trips on all electric and charged 100% before leaving to Italy.

Then we drove from Berner Oberland to Tuscany. Had to take the Süsten pass and due to traffic chose to take the Gotthard pass instead of the tunnel.

Got 30% charge from the top op Susten down and 25% from the Gotthard. Put it is sport mode and it was able to keep me at a descent speed just by energy recuperation for large parts. I did need to brake when steeper descents and really steep I put it in M/S and used the paddles to shift down for engine braking.

How do you get to that last screen that shows gradient, elevation, etc.? I have not seen this in my M50i....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 01:04 PM   #13
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Nice. I was also planning to go with my 45e on holiday. Was looking forward to it whole year. Instead the car is for a few months at the dealer. I was thinking of cancelling my vacation and ending my renting contract for the 45e. Now I'm with a worn out filthy X5 30d with zero options from a leasing company in Austria. Thanks BMW
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 02:05 PM   #14
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
Quote:

How do you get to that last screen that shows gradient, elevation, etc.? I have not seen this in my M50i....
I think it's called x drive screen. It is in the menu with board computer and eco drive screen.
Appreciate 1
john1200c238.50
      08-03-2021, 02:21 PM   #15
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Nice. I was also planning to go with my 45e on holiday. Was looking forward to it whole year. Instead the car is for a few months at the dealer. I was thinking of cancelling my vacation and ending my renting contract for the 45e. Now I'm with a worn out filthy X5 30d with zero options from a leasing company in Austria. Thanks BMW
That sucks. Why does it take so long. Cancelling your renting might not be a bad idea if it is possible.

We are staying in Italy for a week and then going to Austria too for 5 days.

Planning to do the Brenner pass (with the flame in the pipe)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 02:47 PM   #16
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
That sucks. Why does it take so long. Cancelling your renting might not be a bad idea if it is possible.

We are staying in Italy for a week and then going to Austria too for 5 days.

Planning to do the Brenner pass (with the flame in the pipe)
Cancelling the renting contract will cost me 15000 euros. But the next 2 years will be troublesome for buying a new car because of the chip shortages. And also all Belgian and European climate and fiscal regulations.

I have no problem that something breaks on a car but waiting months for replacement. And BMW giving a crappy loaner and finding it normal, and I'm paying for a car that must remain at the dealer. Hell, I bought a 120K car a year ago and that is the service?
I'm not planning on buying BMW again after almost 25 years of BMW driving.
I think I will have less trouble with a 10K Dacia Duster
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-03-2021, 03:01 PM   #17
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
I think it's called x drive screen. It is in the menu with board computer and eco drive screen.
Found it thanks.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #18
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

.....if there is no Dutch idiot in front on you trying to pull his 5 meter caravan with a car with 100 hp up a 2000 meter pass …
I spent 5 years working in the Netherlands with many Dutch and a few Belgium colleagues. The light sparring between them was pretty entertaining at times. I love the Dutch. I love the Belgians. But I have to agree, when the Dutch go vacationing and drag their motel rooms behind their cars it can be a little slow on the roads.
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      08-05-2021, 11:25 PM   #19
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:

.....if there is no Dutch idiot in front on you trying to pull his 5 meter caravan with a car with 100 hp up a 2000 meter pass …
I spent 5 years working in the Netherlands with many Dutch and a few Belgium colleagues. The light sparring between them was pretty entertaining at times. I love the Dutch. I love the Belgians. But I have to agree, when the Dutch go vacationing and drag their motel rooms behind their cars it can be a little slow on the roads.
Haha that is correct. I am actually Dutch but living in Belgium. I have done the Gotthard pass and others several times and it is a shame when stuck behind a slow moving vehicle. When someone is trying to pull a heavy caravan over a pass it is usually one of my fellow countrymen.

Last Saturday two times a mobilhome collected 10 cars behind them but after a few km when possible they moved to the side to let everyone pass. Nice move.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 12:18 AM   #20
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Haha that is correct. I am actually Dutch but living in Belgium. I have done the Gotthard pass and others several times and it is a shame when stuck behind a slow moving vehicle. When someone is trying to pull a heavy caravan over a pass it is usually one of my fellow countrymen.

Last Saturday two times a mobilhome collected 10 cars behind them but after a few km when possible they moved to the side to let everyone pass. Nice move.
I have such fond memories and life-long friendships from my time there. We plan to spend 8 days in Amsterdam next year but I'm concerned that we will have to postpone due to COVID.

I find myself rooting for the Dutch teams whenever I see them. Go Orange.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-08-2021, 07:08 AM   #21
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Continued our trip.

Last part is 5 days in the Austrian alps, Paznaun region.

Found a charging station 22 kwh at the city hall. Worked without badge but the location is not shown in all charge apps that I have on my phone . I will be driving around free all electric.

It happened quite frequently by looking around in city centers that I found a charger that was not shown in the apps. This time I can leave it until it's fully charged because it is close to the hotel. In Arezzo I also had a significant charge.
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      08-08-2021, 07:48 AM   #22
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Continued our trip.

Last part is 5 days in the Austrian alps, Paznaun region.

Found a charging station 22 kwh at the city hall. Worked without badge but the location is not shown in all charge apps that I have on my phone . I will be driving around free all electric.

It happened quite frequently by looking around in city centers that I found a charger that was not shown in the apps. This time I can leave it until it's fully charged because it is close to the hotel. In Arezzo I also had a significant charge.
We are also in the Paznaun region. The Ibizia of the Alps, the European corona outbreak center of Europe in 2019, Ischgl Everything is okay here. Love Austria
Appreciate 0