BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
Dr.Ahmad
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 50i 2019

X5 continental wear and tear

Hello guys it’s my first time to post anything on a forum ever.
excuse my English, I’m not a native speaker.

I have an X5 50i 2019 bought the car approximately two years ago had 40000 km on it

My issue is with the Continental tires rate of wear and tear
I have replaced two tires already each one costed me 600 dollars

Every time i visit the dealership ship for scheduled maintenance and they do their routine check up I find out that the tires half a huge tear on the inside part photos attached I don’t what is the cause is it from the heat as i live in the middle east and it’s really hot or from the road itself although we have decent roads

Did anyone had the same issue ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #2
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

I'm not a tire expert, but either it's a defective tire, or there is something very wrong with the suspension on your X5. I would replace tire and get an alignment done at the same time to make sure there isn't some other issue at hand. If your alignment is properly done, and everything is within spec, you shouldn't have that kind of tire separation. I would also send those pictures to continental maybe they would be willing to reimburse you for a portion of the cost of the tires. Good luck.
      08-02-2021, 06:10 AM   #3
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

That’s heat related. The entire trend tends to separates if it gets too hot.

Make sure you inflate your tires to the maximum allowable PSI. Underinflated tires will heat up more.

If the pavement is exceedingly hot, the amount of allowable heat rise, due to normal friction and rolling resistance is less and it will hit the temperature limit much sooner.

The UTQG temperature rating is somewhat broad in that two tires with an A rating could be different. Maybe try a different brand or don’t drive if it gets too hot. But the important thing is to make sure you keep your tires properly inflated, especially if you live in a hot climate. Inflate your tires on a cold car that hasn’t been driven in many hours at 4 AM in the morning.
Appreciate 0