BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-31-2021, 02:14 PM   #1
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

sDrive owners: Any regrets?

Hey all, Im trying to decide between xDrive and sDrive.

Used market options are really limited and sometimes I see the spec I want in sDrive.

I live in iowa where we get snowy and icy conditions- but I am planning on moving to Florida next year where we would likely never see snow again.

If traveling north for ski trips- we would fly and rent a vehicle.

How has your sDrive been in conditions like rain? Any traction issues?

It will be my wifes grocery getter and kid transport. This winter I will plan on getting a set of snow tires and I always run good tires on my car like Conti DWS all season.

Thanks for your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 02:26 PM   #2
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

All resale values point to XDrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 03:26 PM   #3
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Why in the world would anyone buy an SUV that's RWD only is beyond me.

"But vanguard, we live in hot weather all year and never see cold or snow"

Guess what, AWD helps in the rain, in acceleration, cornering, and if you find yourself off road. Also piece of mind if you were do get some snow or travel to an area with snow.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 03:42 PM   #4
Big_CG
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post

Guess what, AWD helps in the rain, in acceleration, cornering, and if you find yourself off road. Also piece of mind if you were do get some snow or travel to an area with snow.
Thanks for your input. I don't think anyone would disagree that AWD is the ideal choice.

As for why I am considering it- as I noted in the main post, the used car market is tight now and sometimes the ideal spec is not easily found. Color, options, packages, etc.

In this case, I am asking current RWD owners if they have regrets with their choice or had traction issues during normal driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_CG View Post
Thanks for your input. I don't think anyone would disagree that AWD is the ideal choice.

As for why I am considering it- as I noted in the main post, the used car market is tight now and sometimes the ideal spec is not easily found. Color, options, packages, etc.

In this case, I am asking current RWD owners if they have regrets with their choice or had traction issues during normal driving.
How are you searching for the used cars? Many dealers stopped putting their cars on Cars.com, car gurus, autotrader etc.

They usually put them all up on their dealer website under the pre owned section.

If you have the ask this question, it seems you will only regret it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
ChrisTX
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:

Used market options are really limited and sometimes I see the spec I want in sDrive.

I live in iowa where we get snowy and icy conditions- but I am planning on moving to Florida next year where we would likely never see snow again.

It will be my wifes grocery getter and kid transport. This winter I will plan on getting a set of snow tires and I always run good tires on my car like Conti DWS all season.

I just picked up an sDrive because to your point, we don't have a lot of xDrives available. Only regret I have more than anything is not having the M sport package.

Sure, the AWD is very nice, but as someone who has had an SUV prior w/o AWD, handling in the rain will be fine. IMO, just slow down then and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 03:50 PM   #7
Big_CG
Major
Rep

Quote:
How are you searching for the used cars? Many dealers stopped putting their cars on Cars.com, car gurus, autotrader etc.

They usually put them all up on their dealer website under the pre owned section.

If you have the ask this question, it seems you will only regret it.
Cargurus, truecar, autotrader, searchtempest, etc. There are plenty availble. I am very particular about the other specs of the car.

I have never driven a RWD X5 so I am seeing if those that have, have trouble with traction in the rain or cornering. Again this is a mom mobile that never sees over 2k rpm, off road, etc.

My options are to wait for the perfect spec which may never come along or to start considering less than ideal specs.

I appreciate your input and have no disagreement that AWD is the best without question. I would really like to hear from those that own a sDrive and how their experience has been.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 04:13 PM   #8
CarbonBlackEx5
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

I have an sdrive and have had no issues. Traction control does wonders for driving in wet conditions. Living in the South I don’t worry much about snow or ice.

Last edited by CarbonBlackEx5; 07-31-2021 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 04:22 PM   #9
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:

My 5 cents worth
I live in North Queensland which has a similar climate to Florida and have both an F15 sDrive and G05 xDrive. Both vehicles have the same engine ( 2 litre 4 cylinder diesel) and in the wet they both handle much the same on bitumen roads however on wet gravel or dirt the G05 feels much more competent. Having been to Florida I doubt you will be traveling on as much dirt roads as I do here.

I am of the opinion your tyre choice will be more critical to handle wet weather conditions on bitumen roads than having AWD.
BTW the sDrive is more fuel efficient and less sluggish My wife refuses point blank to drive the G05 in Eco Pro mode she says it goes like a bus compared to the F15 which I think is because it is a couple of hundred kilograms lighter. I doubt you will have this problem as there are no diesel G05's sold in NA.

I see no point in owning an xDrive unless you use it on snow or ice covered roads and from my observations most owners wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them when driving them in wet or extreme conditions.
      07-31-2021, 04:55 PM   #10
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
I'm in Florida as well. First non-awd car for me since 2013. Had this sdrive for a year, and not once have I missed having awd. Granted, the car doesn't make a ton of power, even with jb4, so that helps. I drive to the beach almost weekly, rain or shine, and have not had one issue thus far. High hp performance vehicles I'd still lean towards awd, however.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 04:59 PM   #11
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:

Completely agree. Even in south Florida, I purposely spec'd x-drive for all the incessant rain and all the other advantages you mentioned. Makes no sense to have an SUV with only rwd no matter what climate you live in.
      07-31-2021, 07:09 PM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I look at it as insurance...you hope you don't need it, but are glad when you do! Tires can make a huge difference, regardless (just ask someone with only one-axle drive that uses four winter tires versus someone in all-wheel drive with say summer tires), but getting traction on all four is still useful.

Most parts of FL never see snow or ice, but they may see hail...doesn't stick around for long, and sand is fairly common. Hit that just right, and it could save things.

Some people say they don't care about 'insurance'...well, last year, if I didn't have any, my medical costs would have been over $300K...hope that never happens again, but am very glad I had it...on a vehicle...that impact is not likely to be as severe, but it could be.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 07:25 PM   #13
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

I have an sdrive. The lease is finishing up in September. I leased another sdrive. I live in Florida.

Not once have I missed AWD. I don't understand why I'd need it here. I drive on roads all the time, no issues at all with traction, rain, etc.

I have an SUV because it's roomy and stylish. I could have a van, but then I'd have to drive a van 🤮. Not sure why so many people in this thread are perplexed by that choice 🤷*♂️.

In any case. Would absolutely recommend sdrive. I didn't want to have to pay 3k+ more for a car that has no benefits for me (xdrive)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 08:09 PM   #14
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 sDrive 40i

I have sDrive and don’t miss an AWD X6. I’ve had AWD, FWD, and RWD vehicles in the 36 years I’ve lived in FL and have never had a problem. My choice of sDrive over Xdrive was based on extra cost, extra weight, and lower mpg. I know how to drive in the rain, and losing it on a wet road to such a degree that the the stability control system can’t compensate is more likely due to tire condition, or doing something stupid that even xDrive wouldn’t save me from.

That said, if I were living somewhere that I could see snow, I’d definitely get xDrive.
Appreciate 1