E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > n54 e90, dual straight piped. Can you fit Resonator in the place of the mufflers?

07-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
gster109
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

n54 e90, dual straight piped. Can you fit Resonator in the place of the mufflers?

I bought the car fully piped with the stock res in place.

Wanted to quiet it down a bit so I bought a resonator in hopes of swapping it with the stock one.

Unfortunately it's a dual setup from the cat's back.

Am I able to fit this bottle res in the place of where the mufflers sit?

I hear people say that the res should be closest to the engine to minimize rasp and take down the frequencies. Would attaching it to the end of the exhaust setup still minimize some noise & add some character to the sound???
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (Beam)

I took both my mufflers out and put resonators in their place. Terrible idea. Sounded awful and was very hard on the ears. Scrapped the whole stock system and went aftermarket. Should have just kept it stock with a few mods.

And btw you posted a n54 question in the n55 section. If you're talking about a n55 then that's a different story.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
gster109
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotaismygame View Post
I took both my mufflers out and put resonators in their place. Terrible idea. Sounded awful and was very hard on the ears. Scrapped the whole stock system and went aftermarket. Should have just kept it stock with a few mods.

And btw you posted a n54 question in the n55 section. If you're talking about a n55 then that's a different story.
Thanks for letting me know about the n55 forums. How come you think it's awful? Do you know which res' you ran?

Did you delete the cats?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (Beam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gster109 View Post
Thanks for letting me know about the n55 forums. How come you think it's awful? Do you know which res' you ran?

Did you delete the cats?
When I did it I used Amazon resonators probably 10" long. Other than that and upgraded downpipes the system was stock. It just sounded terrible. Super raspy, super drowny, vibrated everything inside my car. I had to wear ear plugs when on the freeway. I swapped that system out quick. If I had to do it all over again I would have just done the Golf T mod and been done with it. Plenty of people would agree with me on this. Possible some good vibrant resonators will help but taking the mufflers out will be a step in the wrong direction.
Appreciate 0