M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Exhaust Valve/Flap

07-27-2021, 12:25 AM   #1
jav_ski
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xDrive M Sport Saloon

Exhaust Valve/Flap

Hi Guys

So after picking up the new 840 GC on Saturday (pictures in other post). Was wondering if there was a way to keep the exhaust valve/flap open like it is on a cold start all the time? - there is a mod you can do on the g series where you unplug the control chip thing from under the exhaust once the valve is open - is there the same thing under the 8ers?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Sure, you can unplug it while its open, but it won't give you the noise that you want and I suspect it'll throw an error code.

If you want to get some good sound out of your car I would get an exhaust system.

One thing I don't suggest doing is getting a "custom" exhaust (resonator delete, muffler delete...) Unless its done by a professional who really knows what they're doing, its bound to sound shitty/cheap.

So my suggestion is to get an axleback/catback from Remus (for example). It won't affect your warranty since you're not touching the cats. It will give you the sporty noise when you want it, and it will shut up when you need it to since it retains the stock exhaust valve
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:28 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav_ski View Post
Hi Guys

So after picking up the new 840 GC on Saturday (pictures in other post). Was wondering if there was a way to keep the exhaust valve/flap open like it is on a cold start all the time? - there is a mod you can do on the g series where you unplug the control chip thing from under the exhaust once the valve is open - is there the same thing under the 8ers?
Yes you can and basically the same mod as described in this thread: https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1707154. It will not throw a CEL and will enhance the cold start.

I toyed with doing it on my 2020 M850i coupe but ultimately didn't primarily as the cold start sound is not a major factor for me. Even after BMW neutering the M850i stock exhaust sound in early 2020 with the 03/2020 iDrive release (hit me via an OTA to 11/2019.60 in June of 2020) I still get enough enjoyment out of the exhaust sound once the car is warmed up with my Sport Individual setting that includes the Engine on Sport Plus. If I wanted more then that is where an after market exhaust comes into play, e.g., AC Schnitzer, etc. but the options are limited on a M850i and likely more so on the 840i.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:41 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdbmw View Post
Sure, you can unplug it while its open, but it won't give you the noise that you want and I suspect it'll throw an error code.

If you want to get some good sound out of your car I would get an exhaust system.

One thing I don't suggest doing is getting a "custom" exhaust (resonator delete, muffler delete...) Unless its done by a professional who really knows what they're doing, its bound to sound shitty/cheap.

So my suggestion is to get an axleback/catback from Remus (for example). It won't affect your warranty since you're not touching the cats. It will give you the sporty noise when you want it, and it will shut up when you need it to since it retains the stock exhaust valve
Remus does have a catback option for the G15 which may work on the OPs G16 but they'd have to confirm that.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 04:30 AM   #5
jav_ski
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

Remus does have a catback option for the G15 which may work on the OPs G16 but they'd have to confirm that.
Perfect guys could not have asked for a better response - the car is going in for ceramic protection inside out and interior ppf in a week. Might pop off the control for the valve while it's up on the ramp to see if it makes a marked difference, otherwise will contact Remus for advice.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep

Glad we could help! Be sure to post videos if you end up getting an aftermarket exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 04:01 PM   #7
jav_ski
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Glad we could help! Be sure to post videos if you end up getting an aftermarket exhaust
Yep definitely
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 01:38 AM   #8
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

As an easy alternative. Check to see in your fuse box right side of the trunk, you should see a 7.5 amp fuse in position 213 I believe. It's the only 7.5a fuse on that block. If so, start your car in Sport or Sport plus, wait until the valve is fully open using a flashlight to confirm. It usually takes about 30-40 seconds. Once its open, simply pull the fuse out and the valve will remain open all the time. This works on my M850i and many others.
      07-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #9
jav_ski
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMofoFrog View Post
As an easy alternative. Check to see in your fuse box right side of the trunk, you should see a 7.5 amp fuse in position 213 I believe. It's the only 7.5a fuse on that block. If so, start your car in Sport or Sport plus, wait until the valve is fully open using a flashlight to confirm. It usually takes about 30-40 seconds. Once its open, simply pull the fuse out and the valve will remain open all the time. This works on my M850i and many others.
Damn that's lots easier than faffing around under the car - will give it a go!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 05:04 PM   #10
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep

Check out this thread if you're considering a new exhaust

Fi EXHAUST 8 Series Puzzle 840i / M850i and M8 / Competition X Zacoe Aero Kit https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1810776
Appreciate 1
jav_ski86.00