E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Converting a converted AWD back to AWD from RWD conversion

07-26-2021, 07:33 PM   #1
BozoBlaster
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E28 1984 533i, E92 2007 335i

Garage List
Converting a converted AWD back to AWD from RWD conversion

Hey, new to the site, wanting to buy a e90 335xi that was converted to a RWD the current owner says they did to handle to power better from the modifications they made. I am dead set on the AWD for year round fun and I wanted to know how imersive that project would be, around how much, and the best outlet to purchase said parts to achieve my goal. Just trying to be prepared when I bite the bullet on purchasing this car, the only thing I need to do is look at it and drive it home if it is truly the one. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:53 PM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

It depends on what was done.

To maximize the benefits (eg weight reduction) the front subframe/oil pan may have been swapped over to a 2wd set. It's also possible the transfer case was removed and gearbox swapped. You'll probably need a donor car out of a junk yard to get all the parts you need, and only heaven knows what wiring was stripped out.

It's more likely the previous owner just ran the X-delete software flash, and removed the front driveshaft. That's pretty easy to reverse.

From experience... It's usually a whole lot more trouble than one expects when purchasing somebody else's Frankenstein.
      07-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #3
BozoBlaster
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
It's more likely the previous owner just ran the X-delete software flash, and removed the front driveshaft. That's pretty easy to reverse.
I think that sounds more like what the owner was talking about. I guess that doesn't seem nearly as bad as I thought, that way I can put it off til the end of the summer to enjoy the RWD til the shit hits. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #4
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Highly doubt he actually swapped the front subframe and oil pan and all that. Most likely he did as said above or might have gone a step further like I did and remove the two front axles. You could see if this has been done pretty easily looking down the engine bay. Many people do this once the system fails and they never wanted it anyway so they get rid of it like I kinda did.. so beware of issues after putting it back together because it might not even work.
      07-28-2021, 06:18 PM   #5
BozoBlaster
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Right on, thanks for the advice. I'm hoping that that's not the case since like I said above that he told me it was to handle the power better because every bolt on modification that can be done has been done to this car, I wouldn't doubt that he even upgraded the internals and just forgot to tell me. So I've got my fingers crossed, having an AWD vehicle has been a major goal of mine and I can't see myself getting a truck or SUV type vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #6
BozoBlaster
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I guess worst-case scenario I buy it and instead of a 335xi i just get a 335i, but at this point in my search for one I'll just have to like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #7
LPplayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 335i xDrive

Garage List
2001 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Highly doubt he actually swapped the front subframe and oil pan and all that. Most likely he did as said above or might have gone a step further like I did and remove the two front axles. You could see if this has been done pretty easily looking down the engine bay. Many people do this once the system fails and they never wanted it anyway so they get rid of it like I kinda did.. so beware of issues after putting it back together because it might not even work.
How did you keep the hub and bearing assembly functional? Did you just split the axle at the outer joint and keep it installed in the hub?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #8
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPplayer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
How did you keep the hub and bearing assembly functional? Did you just split the axle at the outer joint and keep it installed in the hub?
Yes I split the old cv axle and kept the joint with th spline and threaded part in the hub bolted in while nothing else is attached to the back of the joint. Covered up the openings in the front diff too with dust caps and rtv