BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Which tune are you running and how many miles on it.

07-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #1
Gurvy408
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Which tune are you running and how many miles on it.

What tunes are you guys currently running and how many miles have u put on it? How are those tunes holding up and what supporting mods are you running as well l. I recently just picked up 19 M5C
      07-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #2
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

DME Tune and SSR Downpipes - 20k miles

No issues so far. No CEL other than a recall for the gas tank sensor.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #3
Gurvy408
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitM5 View Post

Stage 1 or stage 2?
      07-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #4
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvy408 View Post
Quote:

Stage 1 or stage 2?
Stage 2. I think you have to run stage 2 with catless downpipes but I could be wrong
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #5
Gurvy408
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stage 1 or stage 2?
Stage 2. I think you have to run stage 2 with catless downpipes but I could be wrong
Yea I read that somewhere else in the forums as well
      07-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
Damzz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition MBB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stage 1 or stage 2?
Do you also have intakes? Have you dyno'd to see what your gains are?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 12:40 PM   #7
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damzz View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stage 1 or stage 2?
Do you also have intakes? Have you dyno'd to see what your gains are?
No I did not get intakes. They're more just for sound really. I haven't done a dyno yet
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #8
Dr. ///M
No_Country
Rep
Drives: %C2%9108 E90 Manual (prev. F82

Quote:
What tunes are you guys currently running and how many miles have u put on it? How are those tunes holding up and what supporting mods are you running as well l. I recently just picked up 19 M5C
I also have a '19 M5C.

I ran the BPM Stage 1 w/AWE catback Switchpath for ~6000 miles - no issues or problem.

I recently installed (~2000 miles) the AA High-flow catted primary DP + AA catless secondaries, Project Gamma front mount intakes, and BPM Stage 2…holy $hit what a difference.

Sound wise - its deeper and more aggressive but reasonably tame unless exhaust valves are open or WOT. Intakes make no difference for power, but the jet engine sound is intoxicating.

Haven't dyno'd yet but I just purchased a draggy so we'll see 🤞

As far as Stage 1/2, you can run Stage 1 with or without changing DPs, but you definitely need to run high-flow catted or catless DPs for Stage 2 to account for increased boost.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:30 PM   #9
Gurvy408
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. ///M View Post
Quote:
I also have a '19 M5C.

I ran the BPM Stage 1 w/AWE catback Switchpath for ~6000 miles - no issues or problem.

I recently installed (~2000 miles) the AA High-flow catted primary DP + AA catless secondaries, Project Gamma front mount intakes, and BPM Stage 2…holy $hit what a difference.

Sound wise - its deeper and more aggressive but reasonably tame unless exhaust valves are open or WOT. Intakes make no difference for power, but the jet engine sound is intoxicating.

As far as Stage 1/2, you can run Stage 1 with or without changing DPs, but you definitely need to run high-flow catted or catless DPs for Stage 2 to account for increased boost.
Quote:
Quote:
I also have a '19 M5C.

Sounds like an amazing setup. How do you like the project gamma intakes so far
      07-26-2021, 10:03 PM   #10
Dr. ///M
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I also have a '19 M5C.

Quote:
Quote:
I also have a '19 M5C.

Sounds like an amazing setup. How do you like the project gamma intakes so far
I think they're great, especially for the price point…I know some are concerned with water but I haven't had any issues nor do I think I will. A lot of folks have strong opinions about which intake is best, and I'm sure there are differences, but for the 90% of us who aren't chasing big numbers or those who really care about carbon fiber under the hood, I don't think it really matters. But what do I know 🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:21 AM   #11
TimWM5Comp
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Quote:
I also have a '19 M5C.

How is the quality on the AA downpipes because I was thinking about a set of them myself?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #12
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

They are 400 cell, which is more restrictive. For that kind of money, I’d buy Fabspeed or Keller that use HJS 200 cell cats. HJS are the best but also the most expensive cats. There is are a couple of others that may have generic 200 or 300 cell metallic core cats that would be good alternatives to AA. One is Redstar. The other is Evolution Raceworks.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:21 PM   #13
Dr. ///M
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
They are 400 cell, which is more restrictive. For that kind of money, I’d buy Fabspeed or Keller that use HJS 200 cell cats. HJS are the best but also the most expensive cats. There is are a couple of others that may have generic 200 or 300 cell metallic core cats that would be good alternatives to AA. One is Redstar. The other is Evolution Raceworks.
Definitely a variety of options out there…I can't comment on which is better or why, but I went with AA because of a hookup and I ran some AA parts in my F82. I also went with AA because they guarantee no CEL - could simply be marketing but I haven't had one so that's a plus for me (yes, I could have a CEL coded out but I'd prefer not to).

As far as cat cell#, I'm not sure it makes too much difference for the majority of us….with 400 cell supporting up to 850hp it was good enough for me.

Overall sound impression is that its marginally louder with valves open or at WOT but that's about it…biggest benefit IMO is allowing a Stage 2 tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:40 PM   #14
TimWM5Comp
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Quote:
I have definitely been considering the Redstars but not the ERs because of a lot of issues that I’ve read about the fitment with them and if anyone else has any feedback about Redstar I would love to know!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 01:50 AM   #15
Hirenarora
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Quote:
I also have a '19 M5C.

Quote:
How did you like the Awe switchpath before adding Dps. Also comparing with Comp exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 05:19 AM   #16
BSdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Redstar also uses HJS cats (not an alternative). High quality materials, welds, etc. customer service is amazing. Can't imagine any other brand being better.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 06:13 AM   #17
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If Redstar uses HJS then the top choices and also top dollar would be Fabspeed, Redstar and Keller since all use HJS. I have not compared prices on all 3 but would guess all are about $4k.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:01 PM   #18
MostStockF90
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

DME Tuning E40 tune
WMI 70/30 mix
racing dynamics catless downpipes with custom x-pipes to straight back with no mufflers
RK tunes intakes

27k miles on the set up
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 01:39 AM   #19
Solqmobile
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostStockF90 View Post
DME Tuning E40 tune
WMI 70/30 mix
racing dynamics catless downpipes with custom x-pipes to straight back with no mufflers
RK tunes intakes

27k miles on the set up
You still running this? About to buy a pre LCI with a very similar setup and need it as my daily. Therefore want to ensure some reliability. Curious if you could shed some light on how things have gone for you
Appreciate 1