E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Replaced alternator & battery but car is going haywire

07-10-2021, 12:16 AM   #1
Villancj_
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Replaced alternator & battery but car is going haywire

Lemme take you on my lil journey,

Last week my car wasn't starting and I let it sit for 30 mins while I phoned a friend for a jump. Literally as he was pulling up I started the car and it worked, however once leaving the parking lot my windshield wipers came on, every light imaginable on a BMW came on and my infotainment center turned off and my speedometer wasnt working. The car died as I was getting on the on ramp and I phoned that same friend to get a new battery at O'Reillys. Put the new battery in and drove home. Easy.

Two days later I took it 45 mins to see the gparents and it threw every light and lost power as I was coming home... I towed the car to a friends and just now replaced the alternator today after a week of sitting. Car still isn't starting and stuff like pressing the brake to turn the ignition on turns all the lights OFF. WTF? We tried to jumpstart it but it wasn't getting any power at all. Still the same crappy lights

I turned the car off and was having a conversation with my friend behind the car and then the taillights started flickering on and off so I just disconnected the negative terminal and well, here I am.

My theories: fried ECU/DME or somethings screwed up with the cables that run from the battery to the front of the car. I'm not an expert (obviously) but I came here to see if anyone has experienced something similar or what some possible ideas are to help me fix it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 03:39 AM   #2
Steve Sas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2008

Wasn't there a issue with main power supply in the early days of these cars?

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820317

Also may want to check for water in the DME box.
And theres the corroded connections behind battery due to water leaks in trunk.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 07:07 AM   #3
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

You cannot just throw new parts at a problem, it can get rather expensive.
      07-10-2021, 09:55 PM   #4
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villancj_ View Post
Lemme take you on my lil journey,

Last week my car wasn't starting and I let it sit for 30 mins while I phoned a friend for a jump. Literally as he was pulling up I started the car and it worked, however once leaving the parking lot my windshield wipers came on, every light imaginable on a BMW came on and my infotainment center turned off and my speedometer wasnt working. The car died as I was getting on the on ramp and I phoned that same friend to get a new battery at O'Reillys. Put the new battery in and drove home. Easy.

Two days later I took it 45 mins to see the gparents and it threw every light and lost power as I was coming home... I towed the car to a friends and just now replaced the alternator today after a week of sitting. Car still isn't starting and stuff like pressing the brake to turn the ignition on turns all the lights OFF. WTF? We tried to jumpstart it but it wasn't getting any power at all. Still the same crappy lights

I turned the car off and was having a conversation with my friend behind the car and then the taillights started flickering on and off so I just disconnected the negative terminal and well, here I am.

My theories: fried ECU/DME or somethings screwed up with the cables that run from the battery to the front of the car. I'm not an expert (obviously) but I came here to see if anyone has experienced something similar or what some possible ideas are to help me fix it. Thanks!
When you get a new battery, you need to register it with any number of software options. I don't think that alone is the cause of your problems, though. Scanning the car for faults will give you a better idea of where to look for the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
jericho_17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

wire insulation start to crack everywhere in these cars specially where there is heat, but sometimes finding the palce where it cracked could be very complicated
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 07:19 PM   #6
tenzen11
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i e92

Check behind the fuse panel in the glove compartment, that battery cable behind it that runs from the trunk can sometimes get really hot. Warped plastic in the back would be a good sign of damage to some of the contacts even though the fuses will look ok.
Appreciate 0